Streaming Atmos: Do you lose any fidelity with a Tidal Atmos stream compared to a Blu-ray Atmos?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Competition between the streaming providers will compel one of them to add the lossless Atmos as a differentiator, possibly at a higher price tier. Just like it happened with HD stereo streaming, someone would start first, others will have to follow. The pure music Atmos is relative novelty, but for new movies is now a default, so it won’t be another dying format.
From your lips to Gods Ear. I do believe your right on that, it took us how many years of bitching to get lossless 2ch streaming? Heck Spotify still says its lossless 2ch is "just around the corner" after 3 years of promise. :mad:
What a sad situation with them. :(
Atmos music is here to stay, the current releases of a large percentage of popular genre's seems to include a Atmos mix on Apple. I would hope for a more widespread release of either BD discs or downloads but that's a bit iffy.

This brings up a question of what the highest form of surround sound available is for each kind of media:

Standard media:
VHS
DVD
HDTV broadcast
Blu-Ray

Other special media:

For Blu-ray and UHD (4K): DTS-HDMA, Dolby TrueHD and LPCM are theoretically the best as they can do 24 bit 96kHz lossless (and 192kHz) up to 8 channels. Atmos TrueHD is fixed at 48kHz lossless (but can be lossy depending on encoder settings, for music I’ve not seen lossy Atmos TrueHD yet but it can be used on long movies when disc space it at a premium).

For DVD-Video the best is full rate 1.5mbps DTS 5.1, or LPCM 24/96 for stereo. The DTS could be vanilla or 24/96 or ES 6.1 discrete, but it all has to fit in 1.5mbps so it's a choice of what to spend those bits on and I'd rather use them to encode vanilla DTS 5.1.

For DVD-Audio the best is MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) for 5.1 24/96, or stereo 24/192. But you don't get any video with that.

For VHS the best is hifi stereo (FM depth recording), assuming you mean VHS with video. Personally I used S-VHS but while the picture is noticeably better with S-VHS the hifi stereo audio seemed no better than regular VHS.

Back