Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, it really does not care about the source. Works really well on Youtube and MP3 also
What really intrigues me Chucky is the term 'Phasing' you have used to describe how the SM2 decodes.
This must be a millisecond event to produce the truly remarkable sound it manages to transmit.
I realise it's patented and you would not want to go into too much detail but can you put a little bit of extra gloss on this technique?

This one appeared out of the blue can't even remember when I got it... :rolleyes: :unsure: o_O

Cream Live Two

This one:
https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Oakenfold-Nick-Warren-James-Lavelle-Cream-Live-Two/release/161518
Again it's sooo good!!
Blow me, if this don't pan around more than a few of my surround discs!!

I know the music isn't to everyone's taste but if you can get hold of a reasonably priced copy, I can assure you that the three CD's are almost demo quality for what the SM2 can do.

I only put in on by pure chance too!!

Last edited:
I might have the will.....I just don't know the way. Someone had tried to tell me how a few months ago...can't recall who. But...I didn't really understand that concept. :(
Yeah, I see what you mean. I hate these new A/V "receivers". .....get a real amp from the 80's - a Rotel or a Sansui!!! Or better still active speakers.

Since this is obviously a deterrent into the Involve Surround Master domain using current gear; why is it not possible for Involve to build a relatively inexpensive analog to digital converter? Maybe HMDI out; or is licensing cost prohibitive? There are tons of these going in the opposite direction.

Maybe do some research and find an older used inexpensive receiver that has the 5.1 analog inputs.

GOS - if you don't want to spend the $$ to do separate amp/preamp, you could cobble it together like I did... Buy an older nice receiver that has Multi Ch In, but doesn't have HDMI - you can get those for cheap, then use your current Denon as a preamp & drive your speakers from the older unit. I have a newer Yamaha that has both HDMI & Multi Ch In, but I like the sound from my old Yami better, so I set it up like I described. Once Chucky & Co get their Preamp out, I'll probably go to separates. This is the Yami I'm using...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-NAT...637505?hash=item1a81c9d3c1:g:6MUAAOSwFKtdSw1R

What really intrigues me Chucky is the term 'Phasing' you have used to describe how the SM2 decodes.
This must be a millisecond event to produce the truly remarkable sound it manages to transmit.
I realise it's patented and you would not want to go into too much detail but can you put a little bit of extra gloss on this technique?

Hi Beeking.
In my "Involve needs you - help" thread I wrote:

So how can a matrix system actually perform better yet is technically inferior??

The answer is very complicated but human hearing is really good but not in the areas that most reviewers test. In truth we get confused quite easily and, in some respects can only focus on one event at a time. We are all from an evolution point of view “frightened little bunnies”. We focus and react to the first sound arrival and virtually ignore the second sound. This is shown in the HAAS precedence curve below:

HAAS CURVE

You will note that the first sound dominates perception of the second sound arrival even if the second sound is 12 dB louder than the first sound. Please note that with most voice/ music/ events sound is typically dominated moment to moment by a dominant event such as a pin dropping or a guitar plucking.

Also, psychological tests have shown that we really get confused on simultaneous tones particularly at close or related frequencies, meaning even though the individual 4 channels are separated by say 100 dB the listener may not be able to perceive direction! So much for the marketing hype on discreet separation.

Our tests have also demonstrated that no additional separation is perceived by the listener beyond 12 dB separation. I know this is a hard pill to swallow for all those chasing big numbers but its true. Having said that we exceed this in all occasions.

When you add up all the above, it goes a long way into explaining why even a basic matrix decoder without steering ”logic” can actually sound quite good, better than the expected 3 – 6 dB numbers would suggest.

The big trick is the steering “logic” that works out and isolates the dominant event and “places” it in the right location without pumping or smearing effects. All sounds are not equal in “weight” when you start to compare dominance. For example, a 3 kHz tone at 1 V will sound way louder than a bass or high treble tone at 10 V. In addition, we need when comparing directional dominance to group the harmonics into bands so that the instrument stays as a whole to prevent smearing. Hence the importance of our tri band separate processing.

Above all the above comes the issue of how to place the sound without the human perceiving the “mechanical” action of the placement, careful consideration needs to be made of multiple band related attack and decay time constants.

The importance of the above is that the most predictive and useful separation number for a matrix is how it separates instantly say in 20 ms time slices. Our own Intelligent Involve encode/ decode achieves around 34 -44 dB separation in all directions on this instantaneous basis but on steady tone may be lower in some area but never lower that 12 dB (it’s a magic number). Instantaneously our matrix resembles QS but on steady tone the matrix constants MAY vary according to the surround/ stereo content. All on a tri band encode basis.

Back