Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd still love to get this Blue Note-
...pester...pester

Lou Donaldson – Sassy Soul Strut​

check out this funky little jewel, imagine in Quad 😋
Yeah, here's hoping that more quad things from Universal (Blue Note, Capitol, Mercury, Motown, etc.) can be reissued. Be nice if the Concord group of labels' catalog could be looked into as well.

I wonder what's next in the pipeline for DV?

Doesn't Concord now distribute the Project 3 material?
I know that there are a few jazz quads under Concord control, did not know about Project 3. Are there lots of quad masters there? I think I have a couple of good Q4 conversions - but I assumed there to be not that many. Project 4 for quad!!!!

So yeah, sadly there are no more PIR quad mixes than what was released, and none of their "second tier" acts like the Intruders, or Archie Bell & The Drells, Dexter Wansel, The Jones Girls or anyone else had quad mixes done.
Some of the Teddy Pendergrass hits (I Don't Love You Anymore, Life Is A Song Worth Singing, Only You, Do Me,) have been remixed into object based surround and available as 360RA. They are fantastic mixes in fact, really really good. 'Love Train' from Backstabbers has also been mixed. There might be others I've not seen...

So maybe there's hope other catalogue stuff from PIR may get done this way instead at some point? The Jones Girls - 'Nights Over Egypt' is available to stream in Atmos and 360RA.

Looks like @steelydave made a listing of the Japanese Project 3 titles; but don't know about an overall (USA) listing done yet :unsure:

Of course there's always Mark Anderson's excellent database to go off of.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-cti-london-project-3-vanguard-u-a-etc.28043/

Overall titles listing on discogs below, which D-V has already started doing a couple of them in that last batch IINM. So IDK, taking out the duplicates (various formats etc.) there's maybe 40-50 titles???

https://www.discogs.com/search/?limit=250&type=all&label=Project+3&format=QUADRAPHONIC&page=1

I'd be interested in most of them, but I always thought this one was interesting (funky Jazz- check out the music on YT videos) but since only SQ, what might it bring?-

https://www.discogs.com/release/7116654-Tip-Of-The-Iceberg-Tip-Of-The-Iceberg

Barry Manilow's quad albums would be a treat and sell really well for Dutton...
I would personally fly to any warehouse and rummage through tapes to help make that happen!!!! It's a perfect fit for the DVD catalog

I'm not a Manilow fan. Most of his stuff I don't like all that much. But he's got several tunes that I really like very much, and I would buy the quads just to get them. (Copacabana was demo material for my AR9s back in the day.) So yes, they would sell really well especially given their reasonable price tag.

I'm not a Manilow fan. Most of his stuff I don't like all that much. But he's got several tunes that I really like very much, and I would buy the quads just to get them. (Copacabana was demo material for my AR9s back in the day.) So yes, they would sell really well especially given their reasonable price tag.
They could double the price and I'd still buy them. 🙂

Looks like @steelydave made a listing of the Japanese Project 3 titles; but don't know about an overall (USA) listing done yet :unsure:

Of course there's always Mark Anderson's excellent database to go off of.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-cti-london-project-3-vanguard-u-a-etc.28043/

Overall titles listing on discogs below, which D-V has already started doing a couple of them in that last batch IINM. So IDK, taking out the duplicates (various formats etc.) there's maybe 40-50 titles???

https://www.discogs.com/search/?limit=250&type=all&label=Project+3&format=QUADRAPHONIC&page=1

I'd be interested in most of them, but I always thought this one was interesting (funky Jazz- check out the music on YT videos) but since only SQ, what might it bring?-

https://www.discogs.com/release/7116654-Tip-Of-The-Iceberg-Tip-Of-The-Iceberg

@JonUrban already made one (along with lists for various other US quad labels) many years ago - I'm not sure if there's a list of these links anywhere since the sidebar went kaput, but his Project 3 list is here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Project3.htm

There are about 50 titles in total, minus the ones that D-V have already done. The 5000 series are original releases, the 6000 series are compilations of music from the 5000 series.

Personally I'd like to hear more of the early ones - 5001 (Spanish Strings) was recorded in 1966 through 5043 (Spaced Out) was recorded in 1968 - an era of music that's really underrepresented in quad outside some of the early RCA Q8-only releases like the Henry Mancini greatest hits comps, which D-V thankfully has also done.

Many of these very early Project 3 albums were engineered by legendary recording engineer Robert Fine, best known for his groundbreaking recordings in the 1950s that resulted in the Mercury Living Presence series of classical albums. He recorded much of Light's work (including his previous Command label) starting in the late 1950s up until the late '60s, when they parted ways because Fine (who was pretty old school) had misgivings about the pop and rock direction that Light was going in.

Hopefully we'll get more of the Big Band Hits titles too, because they're arguably the finest combination of talent, arrangements, recording quality and surround mixes ever. The single title D-V have released so far (with all due respect to Tip of the Iceberg) is the tip of the iceberg. I also really enjoy the Brass Menagerie titles - mega cheesy but a lot of fun.

Some of the Teddy Pendergrass hits (I Don't Love You Anymore, Life Is A Song Worth Singing, Only You, Do Me,) have been remixed into object based surround and available as 360RA. They are fantastic mixes in fact, really really good. 'Love Train' from Backstabbers has also been mixed. There might be others I've not seen...

So maybe there's hope other catalogue stuff from PIR may get done this way instead at some point? The Jones Girls - 'Nights Over Egypt' is available to stream in Atmos and 360RA.

I'd love for D-V to be able to do this kind of thing, but multi-artist compilations are a non-starter for the same reason that Foraging Rhino outlined in the Rhino thread - multiple artists require multiple licensing agreements, and in an enterprise where even getting a single for a single album can prove elusive, getting 10 or 15 different ones is an insurmountable amount of red tape.

If there were full albums that might be a different issue - I think Sony (and UMG) should be allowing Mike Dutton to remix "holes" in the quad catalog in Atmos, like the O'Jays Back Stabbers, Herbie Hancock's Man-Child, Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior, etc. and putting those mixes on streaming and then letting Mike issue the physical versions as he pleases, but what do I know, I'm just a fork and spoon operator from Sector 7G.

Another thing that I don't believe we'll ever see are new Greatest Hits type quad compilations. I'm speaking of assembling songs from an artist's various quad albums into a completely new compilation. Of course, there are some artists who only had two albums done in quad, so the usual twofer makes more sense.

If these compilations could be done, they would sell very well especially among casual fans.

Another thing that I don't believe we'll ever see are new Greatest Hits type quad compilations. I'm speaking of assembling songs from an artist's various quad albums into a completely new compilation. Of course, there are some artists who only had two albums done in quad, so the usual twofer makes more sense.

If these compilations could be done, they would sell very well especially among casual fans.
We did get Chicago's Greatest hits as part of the quadio box...

Again this is the kind of thing that would require supplementary approval(s) from the original artists, whereas reissuing original albums is relatively more straightforward, so for that reason alone I don't think it would happen.

There's also the issue that there aren't that many artists in the Sony and UMG quad repertoire that have enough releases to assemble a "new" greatest hits comp, especially when you remove the ones that are "unlicensable" for one reason or another, like Santana (being done by Sony Japan) and Barbra Streisand (owns her own masters), etc. I think most quad collectors are completists anyway and want the original albums (which is the avenue D-V have pursued) and not cherry-picked selections from them - not to mention the fact that the D-V discs are so affordably priced, you could (for example) buy all of the Guess Who releases and compile your own Greatest Hits compilation for less than the price that the old Audio Fidelity Best of The Guess Who SACD goes for, and not only would you have money left over, you'd also have a better-sounding set of tracks.

Speaking of which, D-V has reissued several "greatest hits" compilations originally issued during the quad era, including Best of The Guess Who, Vol. II (all-new mixes by GW engineer Brian Christian), The Best of Lynn Anderson and The Best of Henry Mancini Vols. 1 & 2 (phenomenal sound and content), as well as several Paul Mauriat titles which are compilations of some of his best-known work.

...D-V discs are so affordably priced, you could (for example) buy all of the Guess Who releases and compile your own Greatest Hits compilation for less than the price that the old Audio Fidelity Best of The Guess Who SACD goes for, and not only would you have money left over, you'd also have a better-sounding set of tracks.
Indeed. That's what I did with The Guess Who quads. Then I sold the AF Greatest Hits compilation and the net was getting the DV quads for "less than free." :SB :SB :SB :SB

not to mention the fact that the D-V discs are so affordably priced, you could (for example) buy all of the Guess Who releases and compile your own Greatest Hits compilation for less than the price that the old Audio Fidelity Best of The Guess Who SACD goes for, and not only would you have money left over, you'd also have a better-sounding set of tracks.
In addition If you are like me you could add in those deeper tracks that you love (some are even better than the "hits")!

For me I would add "Proper Stranger" and "When Friends Fall Out" while deleting "New Mother Nature" but keeping "No Sugar Tonight".
I would also replace "No Time" with the long version from "Canned Wheat". I might also add "A Wednesday In Your Garden" and "Of A Dropping Pin". Hell those first four quads were so good start to finish I would likely keep them all as they are, or at most maybe just delete the odd track here and there! I wish that the latter albums would have included long tracks like "The Key" and "Friends Of Mine", both were fantastic!

Making your own "Best of" is what I suggested about Chicago. I never bought the "Greatest Hits" album because all the tracks were on the other LP's, and many of the best hits were missed! Better to make your own compilation! I only played the hit disc from the Quadio box once.

Yes those DV releases are value priced! I hope that the rest of Guess Who Quads get released even if they are less than stellar mixes. In particular I want "Power in the Music".

Last edited:
Back