Supertramp - CRIME OF THE CENTURY - Where is it?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.thelogicalweb.com/mas-c...9-de-supertramp-sera-publicado-en-vinilo.html

Read it and faint. And pray to whomever that nobody throws a late spanner into the works. :dance
Whoa.... my god, this would be truly incredible....a possible Atmos surround mix of Crime of the Century is fantastic news, please 🙏 let it happen.

To highlight the important paragraph

This production is the first in a series of projects related to the 50th anniversary of the release of "Crime of the Century", although the others have not yet received final approval from Universal Music. Among them are the mixing of the aforementioned album with Atmos technology, the mastering at medium speed and on 180-gram vinyls of the most relevant albums in the band's catalog, the edition of a compilation of greatest hits that would be called "What a Life This Is" and the publication of the famous concert at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1975 on DVD and vinyl formats.

I was told that a long time ago, but now I understand they do exist. SWT
I bet you would like to be involved with the surround mixes Stephen.

I first heard Supertramp on the John Peel radio show 50 years ago.
And saw them live in '75 in Southampton.
If ever a bunch of musicians were ahead of their time, it was these guys.
They are in my top 5 all time favourites.

50 years ago in August I started my first job at Trident Studios - began as a tea-boy, and during the first week I made tea for the mix session for 'Bloody Well Right'!! Always loved the album, one of the most influential. Ken Scott - genius!!

As I mentioned over in my thread about the history of quad in the UK, Crime of the Century got as far as having a catalog number issued for a quad 8-track, and Ken Scott said in an interview almost 20 years ago that he was approached about doing a quad mix of the album:

"When quadraphonic first came out, that was much the same: I got a phone call about doing Crime Of The Century in quad. I was asked how long it would take, and estimated no more than a couple of weeks. They said: ‘Are you kidding, we’ve got a guy who says he can do it in an afternoon!’"

The "guy" he's referring to was most likely Marv Bornstein [head of quality control for A&M, and also in charge of their quad output for the few years of its existence] and Bart Chiate, an engineer who worked primarily out of A&M's Hollywood studios - they remixed many titles for the label including releases from Rick Wakeman, Cat Stevens, The Carpenters and others. I guess the quad mix of Crime of the Century never got done owing to the fact that A&M abandoned quad (along with most US labels outside of CBS) in 1975, but if it does exist, including it in a 50th anniversary special edition of the album would be very exciting. Again it's possible that even if it was done that the masters are gone, as all the A&M quad masters seem to have gone to the big tape vault in the sky as a result of the 2008 UMG vault fire, but I digress.

It would be nice if Mr. Scott finally got a chance to do a surround mix of this album, as I think a 5.1 mix was heavily rumoured for release in the early '00s during the SACD/DVD-A era, but possibly precluded by the situation of the missing mulitrack masters. I think he should certainly have right of first refusal to do an Atmos mix, at the very least.

I always wondered if Trident was quad-equipped, being a popular studio in the mid-'70s. It seems like it would/should be; other London studios like AIR, Advision, Abbey Road, CTS, Morgan and even EMI's short-lived Command Studio near Picadilly Circus, where Pink Floyd's Echoes and BB King's In London were recorded (check out the API 480 quad panners at 17:13 of this BBC documentary about the album on YouTube) so it would make sense that Trident was too, but I've never been able to establish any quad mixes as having come out of there, either from master tape or anecdotal evidence. Do you have any memories of anything being mixed in quad while you were there?

I have met Ken Scott several times during my career, but we actually hooked up very recently when he was doing a workshop at Real World Studios.

It was amazing to catch up, and I think we were both astonished to still be doing what we are so passionate about. Although he did remind me that I was celebrating 50 years in the business, he has been actually celebrating 60 years!!

One thing we had a great laugh about. He asked me if I had ever won any Grammys. I said, no. He said 'me neither'! Yet so many of our assistants and colleagues went on to get multiple Grammys and awards. Oh well, we are much more interested in the actual material and creativity, rather than just the accolades.

While at Trident as an engineer and producer Ken worked with and mentored engineer Dennis MacKay. Dennis became my mentor as a recording and mix engineer when he decided to move into production. So it has been a wonderful connection and history.

Anyway - here's hoping for an amazing revisit to one of the very best albums ever - 'Crime of the Century' - fingers crossed!!

SWTx

Last edited:
I actually have met Ken Scott several times during my career, but we actually hooked up very recently when he was doing a workshop at Real World Studios.

It was amazing to catch up, and I think we were both astonished to still be doing what we are so passionate about. Although he did remind me that I was celebrating 50 years in the business, he has been actually celebrating 60 years!!

One thing we had a great laugh about. He asked me if I had ever won any Grammys. I said, no. He said 'me neither'! Yet so many of our assistants and colleagues went on to get multiple Grammys and awards. Oh well, we are much more interested in the actual material and creativity, rather than just the accolades.

While at Trident as an engineer and producer Ken worked with and mentored engineer Dennis MacKay. Dennis became my mentor as a recording and mix engineer when he decided to move into production. So it has been a wonderful connection and history.

Anyway - here's hoping for an amazing revisit to one of the very best albums ever - 'Crime of the Century' - fingers crossed!!

SWTx

Similarly, Peter Henderson (who we recently discovered worked on the quad mix of America's Holiday at AIR with Bill Price) worked under Ken Scott and then went on to win a Grammy for engineering Breakfast in America, which he co-produced with the band.

@Stephen W Tayler

I always wondered if Trident was quad-equipped, being a popular studio in the mid-'70s. It seems like it would/should be; other London studios like AIR, Advision, Abbey Road, CTS, Morgan and even EMI's short-lived Command Studio near Picadilly Circus, where Pink Floyd's Echoes and BB King's In London were recorded (check out the API 480 quad panners at 17:13 of this BBC documentary about the album on YouTube) so it would make sense that Trident was too, but I've never been able to establish any quad mixes as having come out of there, either from master tape or anecdotal evidence. Do you have any memories of anything being mixed in quad while you were there?

Just in case this got lost in the shuffle, do you have any memories of Trident being quad-equipped or doing any quad mixing in particular during your early days there?

@Stephen W Tayler

Just in case this got lost in the shuffle, do you have any memories of Trident being quad-equipped or doing any quad mixing in particular during your early days there?
There were no quad mixes done while I was there (until 1979). I'm sure the Trident A-Range mix console was capable, but there were no 4 track tape machines setup, at least during my time there. When I was doing much of my work at Farmyard Studios in the '80s, when I started there was a Trident desk, but even when they upgraded to an early SSL which would have been quad capable, there was no demand for quad at that time.

So I never mixed anything in quad, my first surround experiences were from the early 2000's - at that time mostly mixing to accompany video for DVD etc....

SWT

Back