Technical question re. SHM-CD, Blu-spec CD & Digital Files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A "24 bit CD" is more a description of the mastering of the audio... for the 16 bit CD. A 24 bit digital workstation was used to handle the mastering for the 16 bit end format. It doesn't mean anything and it's used as brochure speak. It's matter of fact in that a 24 bit workstation was used rather than an early 16 bit workstation. And that's the point in time when that turnover happened. That does lead to better audio. (Dynamic margins are tight in 16 bit.) But it's a little deceptive with implying that the CD is 24 bit audio (to anyone that doesn't know the format is strictly 16 bit).

Just to be very clear in case this isn't...
Debunking some of the brochure speak in this stuff doesn't mean that some of these don't also have the best mastered copy of the audio! Sony 20 bit "super bit mapping" was another early upgrade mentioned as brochure speak... for red book 16 bit CDs.

Yeah, some of these sound better. And the techniques mentioned did have an impact on that! But they're all 16 bit, 44.1k PCM digital audio.

Last edited:
I think it's easy to get confused with all the AdSpeak. As @jimfisheye said, 20 bit super bit mapping was another of what I call AdSpeak for nonsense that has nothing to do with the redbook standard.

So I'm willing to give a brother a pass.

I used to read all sorts of nonsensical stuff, going back to the early 70's or even earlier on audio equipment reviews. People get paid to come up with all sorts of descriptive phrases, which mostly in the end are nothing more than utter bullshit except in the minds of the conjurers.
People in the reviewing/magazine industry used to laugh about killing products through bad reviews. Same people who got comped many dollars worth of products.
Would you trust them?

I think it's easy to get confused with all the AdSpeak. As @jimfisheye said, 20 bit super bit mapping was another of what I call AdSpeak for nonsense that has nothing to do with the redbook standard.

So I'm willing to give a brother a pass.

I used to read all sorts of nonsensical stuff, going back to the early 70's or even earlier on audio equipment reviews. People get paid to come up with all sorts of descriptive phrases, which mostly in the end are nothing more than utter bullshit except in the minds of the conjurers.
People in the reviewing/magazine industry used to laugh about killing products through bad reviews. Same people who got comped many dollars worth of products.
Would you trust them?
True - Remember all the crazy power ratings? peak power, peak music power, etc. 5 watts could be stated as 100 watts if you used the right BS lingo.

Yes I bought, Billy Cobham Japan 24bit CD Magic 1977 Sony
I have a early CD of Magic.

On Playing the Japan upgraded CD
it comes up Louder.
The Difference is massive
Double Bass Drums, Octopans, Guitar Solos
2 Bonus track outtakes
Also on this 24bit Sony Japan edition

Utter Bliss

Yes I bought, Billy Cobham Japan 24bit CD Magic 1977 Sony
I have a early CD of Magic.

On Playing the Japan upgraded CD
it comes up Louder.
The Difference is massive
Double Bass Drums, Octopans, Guitar Solos
2 Bonus track outtakes
Also on this 24bit Sony Japan edition

Utter Bliss
The CD might have been mastered in 24bit but with CD's the final product are only 16-bit.

Brickwalling/compression is used during the mastering, that is why they sound louder. IMHO that drastically reduces the sound quality. I find such CD's fatiguing to listen to, overall they just don't sound right. If you want loudness just turn up the volume! No need for compression.

Last edited:
Back