The All Jethro Tull Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Sometimes, in order to get the job done, you have to do it yourself”: Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson recalls the song that led him to play a Les Paul for the first, and only, time

[IMG]

(Image credit: Ricardo Rubio/Europa Press via Getty Images)
[IMG]

(Image credit: David Warner Ellis/Redferns)

One of my most requested videos since starting my channel was to rank the Steven Wilson Jethro Tull remixes. I tried to approach this from the POV of the consumer - the criteria being which of these is the greatest sonic upgrade + best overall surround sound experience. The titles toward the bottom are in my opinion least essential, and the further you get to the top the most essential (with the top 5-7 being a really close call).

Remember, it's just for fun ! What are your favorites ?

Remember, it's just for fun ! What are your favorites ?

Prior to the 5.1 release of Aqualung, I had owned only that album and Benefit. Then I became more familiar with, and appreciative of Tull as the subsequent Steven Wilson remixes were released. So I would have to rank my personal favorites as 1) Aqualung; 2) Benefit; 3) All the rest (tie)! Looking forward to a redux of Aqualung in Atmos.

Prior to the 5.1 release of Aqualung, I had owned only that album and Benefit. Then I became more familiar with, and appreciative of Tull as the subsequent Steven Wilson remixes were released. So I would have to rank my personal favorites as 1) Aqualung; 2) Benefit; 3) All the rest (tie)! Looking forward to a redux of Aqualung in Atmos.
Cool boss! :DBenefit is the most improved, Aqualung Adapted #2. Aqualung is the most satisfying for me because the correct original master was used for the flat transfer on the Adapted Aqualung. Funny thing I had to listen to A Small Cigar the most before approval. It's my least favourite song from classic Tull.
Cheers-John Norman (Would like to see another stab at Thick As A Brick)

Before the surround remixes and HD flat transfers of the masters...

MFSL vinyl for Aqualung. This was the big audiophile Tull album with that.
MFSL vinyl for Broadsword. This was the 2nd big audiophile Tull album. Not quite as good of a band at this point vs Aqualung. Or I just liked the 70s period better!
My favorite though, Thick as a Brick. The 1st UK pressing I tracked down for this (possibly more interested in the original cover initially) turned out to sound shockingly audiophile. Closer to the MFSL standard than the current vinyl I was used to.
The rest of the core albums of Stand Up thru Minstrel were at least OK-ish. Well, Minstrel wasn't that great of a copy. The mid/late 70s albums after that sounded dull and flawed with severe vinyl issues. The CDs that became a thing in the late 80s didn't sound as good as those albums.

Then we had the mysterious quad releases for Aqualung and War Child! I finally found copies VERY late in the game when people started sharing their out of print copies digitally. There was a reasonable copy of Aqualung that was greatness! All the copies of War Child were distorted to high hell. Sounded like the mixes were originally likely pretty great but none of these were listenable beyond novelty.

Then the reissues with flat transfers and Wilson 5.1 remixes and everything changed! A new dawn on the Tull catalog after a very foggy night.

Back