The All Jethro Tull Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Country and Farming

Farm of the Week: Meet the rock-loving farmer who hosts concerts and music nights in his Yorkshire barn​

Jethro Tull was a prominent agronomist, agriculturalist and inventor of new farming equipment that changed the face of British agriculture at the turn of the 18th century, most notably with his seed drill, but it is the eponymously named rock band that has proved inspirational to a North Yorkshire farmer who recently received a Yorkshire Post Rural Award for his annual event The Barn That Rocks that has raised over £125,000 for various charities.
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/cou...nd-music-nights-in-his-yorkshire-barn-4396380

wYqV9SqdnN7N8Z2GhMpZpS-1920-80.jpg.webp

https://www.loudersound.com/features/ian-anderson-jethro-tull-broadsword

A quick web search indicates there was an official announcement from Ian Anderson on social media and jethrotull.com of both a 50th Anniversary TAAB vinyl reissue and the CD/DVD "Special Collector's Edition" reissue on June 21, 2022; this QQ thread started discussion of it here after Amazon listed it for pre-order. Originally the CD/DVD reissue was supposed to be available in October '22 but it ended up shipping in January. So, quite a bit of advance notice, and plenty of pre-release publicity. Granted, Minstrel is not quite as high-profile an album as Brick (although it ranks right up there with their finest albums for me personally), but still you would expect a bit of fanfare ahead of re-release, and it should be listed for pre-order on burningshed.com, which is pretty much the official web store for all things Tull.

Yet again, let me be clear that I really hope this does actually happen sooner or later, so all those who missed out on it the first time around can get a copy at a fair price, and if it's under $35 I'll snatch up another one myself to replace mine, which arrived with a gouge out of the front cover.

I'll follow your lead. Maybe @JohnN knows something? What about it, John: is a re-press of Minstrel imminent?

Reissues of the Aqualung, MITG and SFTW box sets are coming later this month according to A New Day magazine.
I only have the first Aqualung box set. It's the one with the high resolution version, not the DTS version that followed later. Is there anything worthwhile in that second set that wasn't included in the first big box set?

I only have the first Aqualung box set. It's the one with the high resolution version, not the DTS version that followed later. Is there anything worthwhile in that second set that wasn't included in the first big box set?
A disc that hasn't disintegrated...? Sorry, couldn't help myself. But seriously: a not insignificant number of people have experienced Blu-Ray rot with the big box, and our pleas for help have fallen on deaf ears. The DVD-V version is lower-res, as you say, but at least it hasn't failed!

But back to your question: I'm not sure if, for example, the contents of the LP-sized book differ from the smaller one. Very pleased to hear that more of the OOP sets are being re-pressed, however!

I helped Warner with the Adapted Aqualung making sure all glitches were addressed.

Talking original stereo mix - The Adapted Aqualung has a new transfer of the original master tape that Steve Hoffman used. It is unknown what caused the glitches on the earlier deluxe set or for sure which tape was used. The only major glitch on the master that was found was the one reported by Steve Hoffman. Warner fixed that glitch.

Jethro Tull
Aqualung 40th:
Times are from the beginning of the album:

5.1 mix on both DVD and Blu-ray:

Cross-Eyed Mary glitch - At about 7:53
Cross-Eyed Mary - At about 10:42 the last few notes are erroneously repeated at the very end of the track
My God glitch - At about 27:45
Wind Up glitch - At about 41:27 on the Blu-ray (At about 41:24 on the DVD)

Original stereo mix on Blu-ray:
My God several severe glitches - Starting at about 24:23, then 25:31 and onward.

Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary - AudioAficionado.org
From a review of the Aqualung 2CD/2DVD against the last 40th Anniversary CD-only;

"This 2016 remastered release manages to better the 40th anniversary version that was released before. The 40th version was awesome in its improvement of sound over all other versions before it, but this one is even better. They're both clear and shockingly faithful to the original recording, but this version has more midrange presence and space between the instruments than the 40th version. The 40th is a little brighter than this one, so if you like a brighter recording keep that one. If you like MoFi style audiophile, balanced and impeccable sonics, this version is sure to please. It's really like hearing the album for the first time. You can hear Ian's voice like it's just a few feet away from you and it's clear where in the room around him the rest of the instruments are."

Adapted has more 5.1 bonus tracks - if it wasn't remixed to 5.1 on the old set, it is now. :p;)
Just Trying To Be
Wind Up (early version)
Wond’ring Aloud, Again (full Morgan version)

Regarding Aqualung. I am not versed in Jethro Tull enough therefore the questions.

I have the Aqualung Gold CD 16bit/44.1Khz with DR's 13's, 14's, 15's, 16.
Wondering where you put that in, scale 1-10?

I am playing the ripped Steven Wilson Blu Ray of 40th Aqualung. DVD 24bit/96Khz.
My files are in tracks so I need calculator to figure out your formula of time from beginning of album to hear glitches.
I did do Cross-Eyed Mary glitch - At about 7:53 from beginning of album, and I heard no glitch, listening to album and hearing no glitches in 5.1.
I must be doing something wrong?
I am assuming no need to purchase the new, corrected? version if the small glitches don't bother me, or would there be another reason/s for purchasing the new version?

Interesting topic, thank you.

Regarding Aqualung. I am not versed in Jethro Tull enough therefore the questions.

I have the Aqualung Gold CD 16bit/44.1Khz with DR's 13's, 14's, 15's, 16.
Wondering where you put that in, scale 1-10?

I am playing the ripped Steven Wilson Blu Ray of 40th Aqualung. DVD 24bit/96Khz.
My files are in tracks so I need calculator to figure out your formula of time from beginning of album to hear glitches.
I did do Cross-Eyed Mary glitch - At about 7:53 from beginning of album, and I heard no glitch, listening to album and hearing no glitches in 5.1.
I must be doing something wrong?
I am assuming no need to purchase the new, corrected? version if the small glitches don't bother me, or would there be another reason/s for purchasing the new version?

Interesting topic, thank you.
All glitches were confirmed by others and Warner. For original stereo, the Steve Hoffman CD is nice. Steven Wilson nailed the preferred stereo remix. Aqualung needed the remix.

On the 1st bluray the entire program - album and outtakes - for the new 5.1 mixes has a harsh sounding treble-y eq slathered over the whole thing. And a few of the outtake remixes are missing. You VERY much want the corrected version for this!

The 4.1 mastering of the original quad mix is the same on both.
This pair of releases was an opportunity to compare lossy dts2496 with a lossless copy and prove to oneself that lossy dts 2496 is actually very transparent. Meanwhile the bluray tracks for the rest of the material sounded quite stepped on vs the lossy but unmolested counterparts.

There was conversation and examples of corrupted dts2496 rips that only used the core dts element vs full rips that sound transparent. First there was this hacked version of a homebrew app to decode the dts that was elusive to find and technically cryptic to install and use. Finally ffmpeg updated to include full dts2496 decodes. I'm pretty sure that DVD Audio Extractor app still does core-only decodes of dts2496 to this day. Many stand alone disc players only do the core decode too. Ringer format!

That all leads to some people still refusing to believe dts2496 can be decoded transparently. If you play from a stand alone disc player or use DVD Extractor and command line ffmpeg is just too cryptic and far away... you might still think DTS2496 is akin to mp3 or something.

That bluray had very audible damage from errant mastering work. And missing songs. And was flawed in manufacturing and error prone for it.

Reissues of the Aqualung, MITG and SFTW box sets are coming later this month according to A New Day magazine.
Great news!
I do have the Aqualung “big box”, but would like to have this set in case the blu-ray rots 😱
I have already pre-ordered Minstrel.
I may buy another SFTW - not only to have a back up of THE formative Tull album from my youth (or “yute” as we might say in New Jersey 😜), but I think something is wrong in the concert DVD in my set - a flickering light effect that makes it unwatchable 🫤

The packaging! It fits nicely next to the rest! I had too. Never even have listened to this since I have the Blu-ray that works just fine!

Back