The All Jethro Tull Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to know...for today.

Aha!

I just showed yesterday my daughter's boyfriend this song (he didn't know anything about Jethro Tull, neither its name) to demonstrate the "almost plagiarism" of the Eagles Hotel California.

He is a fan of that song Hotel California, and he was stunned, discovering that the chord sequence and the guitar solo are almost identical.

Now I think he has more respect for me when it comes to music. :cool:

Aha!

I just showed yesterday my daughter's boyfriend this song (he didn't know anything about Jethro Tull, neither its name) to demonstrate the "almost plagiarism" of the Eagles Hotel California.

He is a fan of that song Hotel California, and he was stunned, discovering that the chord sequence and the guitar solo are almost identical.

:cool::cool::cool:
https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/did-eagles-get-hotel-california-idea-jethro-tull

Thoughts on the Around The World Live set? There's been a reissue of that this year and I'm tempted to buy it, if only to display it alongside the SW booksets :p

Thoughts on the Around The World Live set? There's been a reissue of that this year and I'm tempted to buy it, if only to display it alongside the SW booksets :p
I've read several reviews and it seems the sound and video quality are variable, ranging from pretty rough to pretty good. However, all agree if you are a Tull fan it's pretty much a must have, warts and all. Four DVD's for $35-$40 isn't bad, and it sure does look nice. I've heard rumors that a special deluxe edition of Bursting Out was in the works which, if true, would be the best option for live Tull even though it's missing some great later period (post Heavy Horses) material. I don't know, probably get 'em both! :D

I only know Tull via Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, and M.U. Best of. Any recommendations for going deeper? Prefer surround (of course). Gravitate towards hard rock. Thanks! 😀

I only know Tull via Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, and M.U. Best of. Any recommendations for going deeper? Prefer surround (of course). Gravitate towards hard rock. Thanks! 😀
James,
If you decide to go with Minstrel in the Gallery, keep in mind that a repress is planned for next month.
Currently prices on discogs are sky high ranging from $243 to $320 with 6 copies listed.
You should be able to fetch it for less than $60 once it is re-issued.

James,
If you decide to go with Minstrel in the Gallery, keep in mind that a repress is planned for next month.
Currently prices on discogs are sky high ranging from $243 to $320 with 6 copies listed.
You should be able to fetch it for less than $60 once it is re-issued.
Do we really know for sure that there is a reissue coming? I know someone posted a link to an online shopping site that seemed to indicate a future supply at a reasonable price, but I don't see any indication of it anywhere else on the web, including other outlets that would normally list it for pre-order, particularly Burning Shed. I hope it's true, but I'm skeptical at this point... hope to be proved wrong. My original copy came new from importCDs via Amazon with a big gouge in the front cover, which I never bothered to return for replacement, so I would love to buy another one if it's (relatively) cheap.

Do we really know for sure that there is a reissue coming? I know someone posted a link to an online shopping site that seemed to indicate a future supply at a reasonable price, but I don't see any indication of it anywhere else on the web, including other outlets that would normally list it for pre-order, particularly Burning Shed. I hope it's true, but I'm skeptical at this point... hope to be proved wrong. My original copy came new from importCDs via Amazon with a big gouge in the front cover, which I never bothered to return for replacement, so I would love to buy another one if it's (relatively) cheap.
Yes. It almost seems too good to be true, but it looks to be the real deal. I went ahead and ordered my copy from JPC.de. They've already billed me and the total cost including tax and shipping to the U.S. was just $48.55. I think it's a great deal.

Here's the link. It appears to be shipping in late November. Their website defaults to German but you can easily select English.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/jethro-tull-minstrel-in-the-gallery/hnum/6846887

When it comes to “hard rock” Tull, I’m not sure what I’d recommend.

Obviously the Grammy voting committee would say Crest of a Knave. (And I do love to crank up Steel Monkey.)

But it’s not surround.

Aha!

Not sure if anyone posted this interview regarding the topic but it's interesting (and relatively short)....

My recommendations:
1- Songs from the Wood
2- Minstrel in the Gallery
3- Benefit (probably the easiest to find at a reasonable price)
4- Heavy Horses
5- Warchild
6- Stand Up

But for hard rock preference, the order would probably change to 4,5,6,3,2,1.

Yes. It almost seems too good to be true, but it looks to be the real deal. I went ahead and ordered my copy from JPC.de. They've already billed me and the total cost including tax and shipping to the U.S. was just $48.55. I think it's a great deal.

Here's the link. It appears to be shipping in late November. Their website defaults to German but you can easily select English.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/jethro-tull-minstrel-in-the-gallery/hnum/6846887
Yeah, I saw that listing when it was first posted here, but my question remains: if there really is going to be a reissue, why is the German JPC site the only one that has it available to pre-order? Why is there no mention of it on Tull's official website, or anywhere else you can Google for that matter? Late November is only a month away, after all.

Again, I hope it's true and that your order comes through... but I'll hold off until someone reports holding a new copy in their hot little hands. Or big hands.

Back