SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
255 surround (5.1) titles--all on the Chandos label. I've found that the Chandos mixing style generally makes very active, if not exactly "discrete," use of the rears (and, in their streaming Atmos mixes, of the heights).

A shame about this, since Presto only offers stereo downloads. At least Chandos seems to be keeping their back catalog in print on SACD, and their prices for SACD and multi-channel downloads are comparable--the difference being international shipping, which is quite dear.

Will you remind us again next Friday when the sale starts, @mkt?

Last edited:
255 surround (5.1) titles--all on the Chandos label. I've found that the Chandos mixing style generally makes very active, if not exactly "discrete," use of the rears (and, in their streaming Atmos mixes, of the heights).

A shame about this, since Presto only offers stereo downloads. At least Chandos seems to be keeping their back catalog in print on SACD, and their prices for SACD and multi-channel downloads are comparable--the difference being international shipping, which is quite dear.

Will you remind us again next Friday when the sale starts, @mkt?
1725026267933.png

Any opinions on the Royal Scottish Orchestra Wagner offerings from the surround downloads?
Tristan und Isolde
Parsifal
The Ring

Xiayin Wang's American Piano Concertos?

thanks

I know Dave Hurwitz has panned the Storgards Shostakovich symphonies, though I've also found one or two respectful reviews. Anyone here want to weigh in from personal experience?

I'm thinking about half a dozen or so titles, including the late Shostakoviches (11 through 15)--although I had it in my head that the bargains would be better. (Turns out the surround downloads were rather exorbitant to begin with, so that even at half off, they're only a couple of euros cheaper than the SACD versions. Without the added expense of shipping, of course.)

Last edited:
Reactions: mkt
I know Dave Hurwitz has panned the Storgards Shostakovich symphonies; I've also found one or two respectful reviews. Anyone here want to weigh in from personal experience?

I'm thinking about half a dozen or so titles, including the late Shostakoviches (11 through 15)--although I had it in my head that the bargains would be better. (Turns out the surround downloads were rather exorbitant to begin with, so that even at half off, they're only a couple of Euros cheaper than the SACD versions. Without the added expense of shipping, of course.)
I bought 11 today in part because it’s the one not in atmos on apple music. You can always test drive there.

I know Dave Hurwitz has panned the Storgards Shostakovich symphonies, though I've also found one or two respectful reviews. Anyone here want to weigh in from personal experience?

I'm thinking about half a dozen or so titles, including the late Shostakoviches (11 through 15)--although I had it in my head that the bargains would be better. (Turns out the surround downloads were rather exorbitant to begin with, so that even at half off, they're only a couple of euros cheaper than the SACD versions. Without the added expense of shipping, of course.)
I like them.
As far as cost, it’s fair to say that other than bis downloads on eclassical.com, most of the downloads on chandos, nativeDSd, were more expensive than the corresponding SACD. So the chandos sale is decent deal.

It’s unfortunate that we won’t get the 10th symphony before the download store closes.
There are a bunch of Chandos recordings I might try at the sale price.
If you don’t have it, I recommend the Denève Debussy, maybe not the best Debussy but a lot of beautiful music in one collection. The Vaughan Williams Sinfonia Antarctica. Some of the older Chandos SACDs that are available as downloads are not as well recorded. I wish that they had re-recorded all the symphonies with Davis rather than just the 2.

I know Chandos has long sent a lot of their overstock to the Berkshire Record Outlet, so I was typically able to get a lot of them for less than even the sale price - https://www.broinc.com/media/?wpsol...SACD&wpsolr_fq[2]=pa_record-label_str:CHANDOS

A highly anticipated new recording from John Wilson and the Sinfonia of London on two MultiCH SACDs

Following the success of last year's release of Rodgers & Hammerstein's Oklahoma!, John Wilson and Sinfonia of London turn their attention to Rodgers & Hammerstein's Carousel. As in the case of the previous release in the series, this world premiere recording of the complete score features every note of music played at the first Broadway performance, here in the full thirty-five-piece orchestration made by Don Walker for the original production. The outstanding cast, led by Nathaniel Hackmann (Billy Bigelow), Mikaela Bennett (Julie Jordan), Sierra Boggess (Carrie Pipperidge), and Julian Ovenden (Enoch Snow), also features Francesca Chiejina (Nettie Fowler) and David Seadon-Young (Jigger Craigin). The extensive chorus material is sung by the 'Carousel' Ensemble - twenty-four young singers all currently working on stage across London's West End. John Wilson comments: 'Carousel is Rodgers & Hammerstein's greatest achievement. In it, Rodgers manages to create a score with operatic aspirations and dimensions. Everything in the score serves a dramatic purpose. Even in it's texture you can hear orchestral effects that are there to underline the drama's emotions, whether that's unease or joy or whatever. The drama is amplified by what's happening in the music.' Recorded in Surround Sound and Dolby Atmos, Rodgers & Hammerstein's Carousel will be available on Hybrid SACD and in spatial audio.

81E+7VMgqhL._SL1500_.jpg

Back