The Who - Who’s Next SDE series no. 30 (January 17th, 2025)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
🤐🙄

image.jpg

I too bought the hi dollar box set when it came out. O well...

At least in this case, I actually wanted the Who's Next uber box set. Now, how long before we get an SDE exclusive of the grossly overpriced Living In The Material World box set. I think that if the labels would come up with big box sets that topped off at around $50 then more people would go for them.

Anyway, kudos once again to our friends at SDE for making this happen.

I've only ordered two of the SDE discs before (Ten Years After and Mike Oldfield), can't stand all that 80s pop stuff because I'm a grumpy old boomer who's too fixed in his love of 70s prog. rock and jazz fusion. I'm glad Paul has gone back to some 70s stuff; having now ordered this one, I hope there's more to come...

so, Paul, who's next?

I'm a grumpy not-so-old born-in-the-80's guy who happens to have the same taste as you, so yeah, I'm curious now about what's to come!

Not an album I must have, and sadly the exchange rate (pounds to usd) is pushing me away from a lot of music purchases. If it shows up elsewhere (eBay or even here in the classifieds in a year) with cheaper shipping and a lower cost to my pocket I'll get it.

It's good for us when they release desirable / 'classic' albums like this, rather than more obscure releases or lesser albums from otherwise great artists. Hopefully it's also good for them and encourages them to seek more of these opportunities.
To be honest it’s highly unlikely you’ll ever get it cheaper than this, I am on ebay constantly and these SDE discs go up in price all the time, I can only imagine this one will be selling in huge numbers and the more popular it is the higher the 2nd hand value will be

To be honest it’s highly unlikely you’ll ever get it cheaper than this, I am on ebay constantly and these SDE discs go up in price all the time, I can only imagine this one will be selling in huge numbers and the more popular it is the higher the 2nd hand value will be
Or the more of them in circulation and available for resale. I'm willing to take my chances at the current price point (usd exchange rate and shipping cost being the primary factor).

I bought the Lifehouse box set and got it for a good price. I think it is a great box, the books are beautiful and the sound is great. I don't regret buying it at all. While I think it is great that SDE is releasing a stand-alone (for those that didn't buy the box), at this point I can't see paying $40 for stereo instrumental versions of some of the songs.

I haven't bought all the SDE numbered releases and I don't file the SDE discs separately from my other surround titles so "having a hole in the collection" is not a concern for me.

I do appreciate all the good stuff Paul and SDE bring to the market though.
I really like that box set, they gave A LOT for the price. Love the LIVE concerts discs.

I've got the big box. Both Books are wonderful for the appearance and content.

Now this Blu-ray only adds the Stereo Instrumentals. I really like the instrumental versions, especially when you know the songs, as @Juggsnelson says, that allows you to discover musical arrangements that are 'hidden' because of the vocals. BUT why they didn't include them also in Dolby Atmos? I think they could be available from the Wilson mixing work.

I'm wondering if this SDE #30 is worth it to me. I have until the end of this month to decide. :unsure:
I also really like the instrumentals on Van Morrison, MOONDANCE.

For those of you that bought the box set and are now saying you will buy the stand-alone and sell your box set:
Would it not make more sense to buy this single disc, rip the instrumental tracks and sell this disc instead of selling the box? There is a ton of great music on the 10 disc set that will not be on the single BR, plus the books and extras.

I've only ordered two of the SDE discs before (Ten Years After and Mike Oldfield), can't stand all that 80s pop stuff because I'm a grumpy old boomer who's too fixed in his love of 70s prog. rock and jazz fusion. I'm glad Paul has gone back to some 70s stuff; having now ordered this one, I hope there's more to come...

so, Paul, who's next?
I'm a grumpy not-so-old born-in-the-80's guy who happens to have the same taste as you, so yeah, I'm curious now about what's to come!
Well, I'm a boomer II (between both of you), and like to see that people from later generations have the same taste for 70's prog rock. This genre, when it was in its glory, was my initiation into music when I was a teenager.

+1, Paul, need more SDE from 70's rock, prog, jazz fussion.

Last edited:
Well, I'm a boomer II (between both of you), and like to see that people from later generations have the same taste for 70's prog rock. This genre, when it was in its glory, was my initiation into music when I was a teenager.

+1, Paul, need more SDE from 70's rock, prog, jazz fussion.

I would love to see Return To Forever's album Romantic Warrior mixed for surround.

I would love to see Return To Forever's album Romantic Warrior mixed for surround.

Incidentally, I was about to post the same, as I was thinking about it while reading the recent posts on this thread. It would appeal to both jazz and prog fans.

Back