TV Streaming Services and their Content

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I had Directv, they ran a series years back called Guitar Center Sessions with host Nic Harcourt. Bands would play a handful of tunes and be interviewed by Nic.

I recorded many of the full-length episodes on DVR and played them often. The one with Social Distortion was my all-time favorite. Here is a highlight - “California (Hustle and Flow)” from the Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes album. Listen in wonder to Mike Ness’ guitar tone, the amazing drum sound and the lovely and talented backup singers. It’s rock and roll, folks.

Btw, the drummer is David Hidalgo Jr., son of the leader of Los Lobos.

Last edited:
Entry number two from Guitar Center Sessions is Dwight Yoakam.

If you don’t already know, DY was a second- generation pioneer who combined rockabilly with the 60s Bakersfield sound to produce his own thing. Skeptics of “country music” should realize that there is a lot of familiarity in his sound. There’s Elvis, Buck Owens, Merle Haggard and a healthy dose of rock and roll underneath it all. This music is cousins with Jason and the Scorchers and the Georgia Satellites as much as it is with Buck and Merle. At this point in time, DY had worked with Beck as well. No boundaries.

DY is an intelligent guy who was able to fulfill his vision without compromise, as he explains.

If any of this sounds interesting to you, jump on in. It’s a rockin’ good time full of honky-tonk fun.

DOYLE!

some folks call it a...

if you've never watched this film, a masterful performance by Billy Bob, Dwight and the whole cast, a must see.
Thornton won the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay, and was also nominated for Best Actor.
*He should have won Best Actor IMO!

Might be able to catch it on HBO/Max - Apple TV etc. :unsure:

It's funny, this series got absolutely slaughtered on social media and in most fan reviews, and I think a lot of it was because the Peter Jackson LOTR trilogy is so beloved. Normally I generally concur with the majority when it comes to these kinds of adaptations, but with this one I found myself enjoying it quite a bit. While it was flawed in places (some of the leads didn't seem to quite have the gravitas for the material) there were some great bits that I found really emotionally resonant, including the meteor man and the proto-hobbits, and especially the fractured friendship between the main elf and the dwarf.

IIRC, even before the first season of RINGS OF POWER aired, execs were very unhappy with it and fired most creatives involved.

If so, season two will be (can be? should be?) a lot better! Also, the first season had the curse of setting everything up, which can
be a slog. . . . I'm looking forward to it!

Entry number two from Guitar Center Sessions is Dwight Yoakam.

If you don’t already know, DY was a second- generation pioneer who combined rockabilly with the 60s Bakersfield sound to produce his own thing. Skeptics of “country music” should realize that there is a lot of familiarity in his sound. There’s Elvis, Buck Owens, Merle Haggard and a healthy dose of rock and roll underneath it all. This music is cousins with Jason and the Scorchers and the Georgia Satellites as much as it is with Buck and Merle. At this point in time, DY had worked with Beck as well. No boundaries.

DY is an intelligent guy who was able to fulfill his vision without compromise, as he explains.

If any of this sounds interesting to you, jump on in. It’s a rockin’ good time full of honky-tonk fun.

Dwight was at his best when he had Pete Anderson playing and producing. He's still making good music, just not quite the same without Pete

This may be OLD OLD News but I recently added Apple TV to my newly installed Media Room as Projectors don't have built in apps like Amazon Prime, Disney+/HULU and started watching 1993's X Files from scratch.

Could NOT believe how stunning both picture and 5.1 surround are.

Like watching it for the first time.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!

The X-Files (1993)

DOYLE!

some folks call it a...

if you've never watched this film, a masterful performance by Billy Bob, Dwight and the whole cast, a must see.
Thornton won the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay, and was also nominated for Best Actor.
*He should have won Best Actor IMO!

Might be able to catch it on HBO/Max - Apple TV etc. :unsure:

Wow, never heard of that film, looks awesome.

one of my fav shows!

Slow Horses — Season 4 Official Trailer | Apple TV+​

*premieres September 4 on Apple TV+

Thanks for the trailer I am looking forward to it. This is the kind of show you can watch more than once relishing the details. I might have to binge watch the first three seasons again in September. Not hard since each season is only eight episodes. And that's the down side.... too short.

Having come late to the Apple+ TV Party, I can highly recommend Tom Holland's tour de force performance in THE CROWDED ROOM with an equally satisfying Amanda Seyfried. It's a very slow pot boiler but, IMO, ultimately rewarding once you get to the thrilling denouement.

Back