Van Halen Mobile Fidelity SACDs now available for pre-orders

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been ordering my Van Halen albums off the MoFi Website even though they charge shipping in comparison to Music Direct. The reason is, I was hoping they shipped the MoFi orders first. Apparently, this is not the case. I still don’t have a shipping notice yet. Though, I only ordered on March 9 of this year. So, hopefully, I’ll get a shipping notice sometime next week. I haven’t opened either my vinyl or SACD copies of the first album because I’ve been waiting for Van Halen II so I can listen to them together.

I didn't say VH1 sounded perfect - whatever that even means. I'm saying the mix - as is - - nearly perfectly captures the energy and goal of the music. Two very different things in my mind.

Yes, you could throw lots of tracks at me that sound more bassy than VH1 (or most of VH's catalog). But who else had EVH and his massive sound?

Again, mixes are trade-offs - and not just aurally. They have to suit the artistic purpose too. And a big bottom-end on VH1 would have made it sound more anemic, not more powerful. Just listen to the earlier demo versions of those songs with more - as you call it - "sonic balance". More bass and bass drum and doubled guitars in the mix - but less emphasis on Ed and Dave. And they don't have near the energy and power of the final mixes. They sound closer to some unmemorable 80s hair band than VH1.

I'll say it again, Templeton and Landee knew what they were doing. And they were trying to create a great rock album, not satisfy people who spent too much time listening to their speakers and not enough actually listening to the music.
Never a big Templeman and Landee fan, in spite of how much I love the music they produced/mixed. The same thin-low-end sound exists on the 70s Doobie Brothers albums.

After listening to Van Halen II yesterday on YouTube, I decided that I really don't care for David Lee Roth's contribution to the band. (his voice). There are some good songs, good music on the album, but just don't care enough for it to buy. I bought the OneStep S/T debut as well as the SACD and even that was a bit trying. I would love to hear an instrumental version without his vocals. They sort of reduce the complexity of a great group with a great guitarist to a posturing rock star stereotype. Just my opinion.

Sorry
I’ve been ordering my Van Halen albums off the MoFi Website even though they charge shipping in comparison to Music Direct. The reason is, I was hoping they shipped the MoFi orders first. Apparently, this is not the case. I still don’t have a shipping notice yet. Though, I only ordered on March 9 of this year. So, hopefully, I’ll get a shipping notice sometime next week. I haven’t opened either my vinyl or SACD copies of the first album because I’ve been waiting for Van Halen II so I can listen to them together.
Sorry, Diamond Dave comes with the price of admission with the most desirable VH albums.

Unbelievable! I just sent MoFi an email since they don’t have a phone number listed on their website and it’s too late to call their parent company, Music Direct, asking why my order for the One-Step and SACD of Van Halen II is sitting on my account page unfulfilled and when they plan on shipping my order. 🤬

Mine arrived Monday but Ive yet to get it in my greasy palm as they sent it to my office. I work remote currently so I need to drive in and get that disc !

minor issue with my VH S/T order VH1 x II.jpg

Oh wow. I wasn't even looking at the jacket. I kept staring at the disc not seeing a problem. lol That is weird, if not almost hard to believe.
Yeah. Even though I had just opened it and stuck it in the player, I still had to double check that I didn't somehow switch discs with my copy of VHII

Reactions: GOS
Back