What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked these up lately

Latest 180 gr. are Rhino's 2 disc Everly Brothers Greatest set, Dr. Byrd and Mr. Hyde (1969 Byrds lp) and 13th Floor Elevators debut, that was before Ericson's passing last week.

John,
If you buy 180-200 gr. LPs; do you have this one: The Notting Hillbillies - Missing... Presumed Having A Good Time.
I believe this came out in 180 gr.
It's one of my all time fav. records, and I only have the CD, thinking of picking up the LP.

From the soundtrack to a new documentary about Memphis musician Van Duren. You've probably never heard of him, but if you're into power-pop, he's worth checking out. The documentary is very cool. His story involves Big Star, The Rolling Stones' manager and a Connecticut recording studio that was trying to push Scientology on the artists recording there.

She's Back & Dionne Sings Dionne (bonus disc)- Dionne Warwick 2 CD $9.99 at Target.

Her voice has lowered a tad over these years. Still, she sounds surprisingly good.

Despite the "remastered" tag on disc 2, they are all new recordings. Fidelity is pretty good, although sometimes a bit too compressed.

Mixed bag. New songs & old songs remade. 1/4 are new recordings of Bacharach/David tunes.

Lots of songs w/the Youts. (What's a Yout??)

Block chords and a Puente/Esquivel arrangement of San Jose work well. Walk on By kicks off the second disc and it's a winner. Her remake of Loggins & McDonald's What a Fool Believes just lays there and should have stayed in the can.

Reach Out for Me starts with a snippet of her '60's record. It's reminiscent of Neail Sedaka's 70's version of Breaking Up is Hard. This is no lumbering remake. It has a great beat & some good synth work.

What the World Needs Now Jubilation Choir version is another highlight.

Some new stuff, lots of remakes of her old stuff. Variable results, but certainly worth a listen. The price is right.

Are these the ones that are mastered by Robert Ludwig?

Yes they are...here are some "snaps" of the liner notes...the notes from Cycles(first picture) are interesting...Bruce Cohn Management wanted their people to get some recognition...so even the Secretary and Bookkeeper were mentioned in the notes...and another nice thing was the Doobies dedication of the album to Children's Hospital at Stanford in Memory of Shannon Eigsti....she passed away at the age of 17...her little brother Taylor was 3 years old at the time and the next year he started to study piano to honor his sister...he became a child prodigy and at 14 released his first album...his work has garnered multiple Grammy nominations and he has worked with Dave Brubeck and many high profile artists...he's 35 now and his work as a composer and pianist are well known in the music industry...

Took a southern road trip recently and ended up at Manifest Records in Charlotte, NC. They’re hit and miss now, but were fantastic in the mid-90s. Regardless, they still have a decent metal section, so I ended up with these:

Rammstein-Rammstein
Satan-Cruel Magic
Death-Symbolic

The Rammstein was a bit disappointing as I expected more from them after a 10 year album drought. Decent enuff but lacking the exhilarating ‘Terminator’ rock of yore.

Satan sounds like what I expected - good modern NWOBHM.

Symbolic was the most pleasant surprise - incredibly adept and complex technical death metal featuring the incomparable Gene Hoglan on the kit. Good production and decent fidelity although the DR database numbers are surprisingly low.

I resisted this because I'm tired of playing the "it's been remastered" game, but I had been reading good things and then there was a significant price drop on Amazon UK so I finally pulled the trigger. I've listened to the first two albums and they sound nice. Guthrie and Plante did a good job here. And....well.....it's Kate! Kinda had to have it. :rocks

91x8PbTyJgL._SL1500_.jpg

I resisted this because I'm tired of playing the "it's been remastered" game, but I had been reading good things and then there was a significant price drop on Amazon UK so I finally pulled the trigger. I've listened to the first two albums and they sound nice. Guthrie and Plante did a good job here. And....well.....it's Kate! Kinda had to have it. :rocks

91x8PbTyJgL._SL1500_.jpg

I LOOOVE me some Kate!!!!

Back