WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will definitely buy this set...but I'm going to wait and see if there are any alternative sellers...it is logical for them to start out on a fan website...as they comprise the most rabid fans who would be willing to pay any amount for this purchase...I didn't see anything about it being a limited edition...

They will use this pre order as a litmus test to gauge the interest in this title...if it falls below expectations...there could be some adjustments in price or distribution
We’re lucky this is being released in a physical BD; but I also still detest these bloated Catch-22 T.O.M.B.S.- the surround/Atmos Lifehouse songs are a bonus however.

I just keep reminding myself how gorgeous it’s all gonna sound with a Steven Wilson mix & master 🤤

If this was truly their goal, there'd be no Blu-Ray in the set and the Atmos mix would be exclusive to the streaming services (as has been done with so many other reissues over the past two years).
add-in the zero DTS MA 5.1 as well. Yup, there's a blu ray alright. Dolby has figured it all out. Brilliant move by them. Atmos only. Keep it. The 'goal' was obvious some time ago...

I wonder if there is any 'senior discount' being offered?🤔
Not exactly...but it has been suggested that a few accessory options could be added...instead of a shirt...perhaps an autographed walking cane...or Metamucil in a fashionable "tin" with the Band logo embossed on it

Come again? There 100% is a unique 5.1 mix (not folded down from the Atmos) included in this set...
A DTSMA mix? If that's the case..I was wrong. The price then is still out of control. The idea is eventually get more into streaming in my opinion regardless. A damn shame. By the way.... a quick comparison of the latest 5.1 dolby mix on the Rush Signals and the dtsma 5.1 on Moving Pictures is night and day in quality. We learned that lesson... an expensive one

Last edited:
Considering what we’ve had from other box sets for about the same price – Rush’s Signals comes to mind – at least this one feels packed with musical content.

Still, like others here, I just want the Blu-ray. This was the year I finally broke myself of feeling I just have to own sets like this. I’ll either buy it when the price comes down, or enjoy the Atmos on streaming if it makes it there.

I did find this story from Variety interesting only in that it’s rare for a mainline outlet to talk about an Atmos disc and have an awareness of the value of being offered in the box instead of just streaming. Bonus points for mentioning Steven Wilson, Yes, JT and RM.

The cherry on top for fans of the mixes or remixes that Steven Wilson has done for classic rock bands like Yes, Jethro Tull and Roxy Music is a Blu-Ray that contains new Atmos and 5.1 mixes that Wilson has done for “Who’s Next” in 24-bit format. With the trend increasingly being to leave spatial and surround mixes off boxed sets and only make them available in streaming format, audiophile fans of physical media will welcome this exception to the recent rule.

I wonder if there is any 'senior discount' being offered?🤔
Ironically, the price is high because the demographics for this release are older and have more disposable income because they have advanced in their career and the kids have left the house. Same for Pink Floyd and Rush.

Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson is starting to become like with the price of Closure/Continuation and the In Absentia/Deadwing rereleases (125$CAD) compared to The Pineapple Thief which are much less expensive when you look at How Did We Find Our Way (130$CAD for 5 albums) and the previous boxset version of the albums (Dissolution, Versions Of The Truth, Nothing Be The Truth, all around 70-80$CAD).

Ironically, the price is high because the demographics for this release are older and have more disposable income because they have advanced in their career and the kids have left the house. Same for Pink Floyd and Rush.

Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson is starting to become like with the price of Closure/Continuation and the In Absentia/Deadwing rereleases (125$CAD) compared to The Pineapple Thief which are much less expensive when you look at How Did We Find Our Way (130$CAD for 5 albums) and the previous boxset version of the albums (Dissolution, Versions Of The Truth, Nothing Be The Truth, all around 70-80$CAD).
Pink Floyd Animals was like $20 for 5.1 Blu-ray mix.

Whoa ... just read ALL the vitriolic comments on the SDE site regarding this massive box set! Sure, THE WHO'S NEXT with an ATMOS, 5.1 and two Stereo remixes from the original analogue masters is a dream come true by the master himself, Steve Wilson...but really, 10 RBCDs and a 100 page book??????

And will calls for Paul Sinclair to POSSIBLY release a stand alone Pure Audio BD~A ever reach the ears of both Universal and Townsend/Daltrey because in reality, that's ALL most of us really want.

At 6 inches thick, that massive boxset will not only take up a LOT of valuable space but most of us will never play all 10 RBCDs unless we're absolute completists!

BaBa O'Riley ...are you LISTENING? 👩

Worth pointing out again the original stereo mix of the album has been processed with Plangent.

Also, first time stereo mix of Heaven and Hell, plus Time Is Passing from an undamaged stereo tape (previous releases were one channel of the stereo mix; the only stereo versions available were sync-ups with the other channel from bootleg).

Considering what we’ve had from other box sets for about the same price – Rush’s Signals comes to mind – at least this one feels packed with musical content.
Yeah, I skipped the last few releases at this price point (Rush's Moving Pictures & Signals, Kiss' Creatures Of The Night, DSOTM 50th) and - at least compared to those - it seems like there was a genuine effort to really pack this one to the gills with meaningful content. All those discs of outtakes may not be interesting to everyone here, but at least there's no vinyl and it's pretty light on the useless trinkets (didn't one of the Rush sets come with a model car?). Plus - aside from the Tull booksets - I can't think of many reissues can feature an entire album's worth of bonus tracks in 5.1 & Atmos.

One big question mark for me is the Jon Astley remaster of the original mix - there was a lot of noise on SHF about how they used the Plangent process to make this the definitive version, but hopefully it's not lacking in dynamics (the 'definitive' original stereo mix on the recent Suede Blu-Ray didn't sound that great). I'm also kind of surprised the Steven Wilson stereo mix is exclusive to the Blu-Ray, I would've thought for sure they'd repeat it on a CD or do a separate vinyl release.

The problem with releasing the surround mixes only in the $300 box set is the white Elephant in the room, and that is that the few that will buy it will undoubtedly share their fortunes with others and it will spread like wildfire through the digital world. Whereas selling the stand alone disc, even for $30 or $40 bucks, would make everyone happy and generate income for the artist, label, management and distribution. You know they think about this crap, why don't they just do it?

What you are saying is certainly a reasonable assumption....IF the music industry operated on some type of logic based thinking...they could have made more money by releasing these titles years ago....as a lot of the demographic group are gone now....I think it has more to do with the bands high profile...they are one of the all time greatest bands..

What you are saying is certainly a reasonable assumption....IF the music industry operated on some type of logic based thinking...they could have made more money by releasing these titles years ago....as a lot of the demographic group are gone now....I think it has more to do with the bands high profile...they are one of the all time greatest bands..

This is a great point Clint that's been made time and time again. The longer these guys wait, the less of a market they will have. The kids today don't want to listen to 50 year old stuff (did we?), and not only that, they don't buy anything, not even the stuff they love. They only stream it.

Only old farts like us will even pay attention to a box like this, and at our age, we're pretty much retired and on limited incomes.

This stuff should have all come out in the '90s and early '00s

Back