Zappa Plays Zappa

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Robinson

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
This is the best DVD-V music release so far this year. Utterly fantastic. I have played this everyday since I picked it up late last week. Even if you aren't a Zappa fan if you love music you will like this one. It's Dolby 5.1 but you forget that once you start watching/listening to it. Truly phenomenal. Everyone involved does such a great job and having Napoleon Murphy Brock and Steve Vai (on the second disc) adds that authenticity to it. Anyway, just get it. Really. You won't regret it.

Don't forget Terry Bozzio as well.

I just got this on Sunday. A must have for a Zappa fan. The performances are top notch. I haven't sat in the sweet spot yet, but I believe there to be more than just ambience in the rears. Boy do I regret not seeing this band when they came to Chicago last.

Don't forget Terry Bozzio as well.

I just got this on Sunday. A must have for a Zappa fan. The performances are top notch. I haven't sat in the sweet spot yet, but I believe there to be more than just ambience in the rears. Boy do I regret not seeing this band when they came to Chicago last.

Bozzio is great as well. Still crazy after all these years. There is more than ambience in a lot of it.

Dweezil talks about the upcoming tour dates, the band, his father's music and surround mixing in the back of the most recent Sound And Vision? Can't put my hands on it, check on line....

There is hope that he will release more in surround, perhaps take the NY Blu Ray cue and run with it? :)

This is the best DVD-V music release so far this year. Utterly fantastic. I have played this everyday since I picked it up late last week. Even if you aren't a Zappa fan if you love music you will like this one. It's Dolby 5.1 but you forget that once you start watching/listening to it. Truly phenomenal. Everyone involved does such a great job and having Napoleon Murphy Brock and Steve Vai (on the second disc) adds that authenticity to it. Anyway, just get it. Really. You won't regret it.

my copy just came and I could'nt wait till tonite. 4 songs in sampled both dvd's and it's fantastic. Dweezel and steve on 'montana" WOW!! buy it!!

Glad to see that more of you are finally catching on to this! I first saw Zappa and the Mothers in 1970 at the Fillmore East (w/Flo and Eddie et al) - and many times thereafter. The ZPZ shows (I have seen them twice) were everything I hoped for and more. Such talented young cats! Napoleon Murphy Brock is ageless - Vai and Bozzio - intergalactic! Dweezil is a great player and deserves all the credit for bringing Frank's music to the masses. The first round of shows were for the faithful - lots of gray ponytails with their kids tagging along. Now ZPZ is playing all of the festivals and will expose this fantastic music to the uninitiated - I hope they're ready to have their minds blown. I picked up the DVD months ago when I was lucky enough to catch the limited mail order only run - I was a little bit concerned by the lack of initial interest when I first posted on this in March but hope that everyone here supports this release now that it is available through the usual channels. If you have any interest at all in great playing and a standout surround mix, you will be doing yourself a big disservice if you don't buy this now!

sat last nite through the whols show. I am immpressed beyond discription of just how much I enjoyed it. Dweezel is on track. But add Steve V and it's been many a year since I was treated to a performance like this. All top-pro people for backup, then add vie and bozio, well frank would have loved it. I'm certain with frank being a quad effectionado he would have put most of his cat on high -rez by now. well we got this!! no better tibute to the top mother himself.

Is this available in widescreen? I can only find full frame.

There is only one version available - to quote the actual DVD, " This program was filmed in high definition video at 25 frames per second and 1080 lines of resolution. The music was recorded at 48 KHz and 24-bit high resolution audio. It has been down converted for standard definition 16:9 anamorphic widescreen..."

There is only one version available - to quote the actual DVD, " This program was filmed in high definition video at 25 frames per second and 1080 lines of resolution. The music was recorded at 48 KHz and 24-bit high resolution audio. It has been down converted for standard definition 16:9 anamorphic widescreen..."

Thanks for the help elmer. I'm looking forward to this one!

Dennis

Thanks for the help elmer. I'm looking forward to this one!

Dennis

No problem - enjoy - it's really terrific - the complete quote though - in regards to the audio, "...This program was recorded at 48KHz and 24 Bit high resolution audio. It has been downcoverted for standard definition 16:9 anamorphic widescreen with PCM stereo and Dolby 5.1 surrround audio using state-of-the art conversion technology for an optimized listening and viewing experience."

I'm sure that everyone here of course would prefer lossless or DTS at least - you won't be dissapointed however - it sounds great!

I'm lovin' it. Impressive performances by all, Dweezil nails it! Frank would be proud.

I regret not going to see Frank in his heyday. I always thought I'd catch his tour the next time around.

Dennis

Anyone on the fence that wants to check this out for free? Public TV will be airing the video (or a portion thereof) in select US markets;

WGVK
6/5/08
Thu
12:30 AM
Grand Rapids Kalamazoo Battle Creek MI

WGVU
6/5/08
Thu
12:30 AM

KTEH
6/5/08
Thu
10:30 PM
San Francisco Oakland San Jose CA

WEKW
6/5/08
Thu
Boston MA

WENH
6/5/08
Thu
Boston MA

WLED
6/5/08
Thu
Burlington VT Plattsburgh NY

WMVS
6/6/08
Fri
11:30 PM
Milwaukee WI

WBGU
6/6/08
Fri
Lima OH

WGVK
6/7/08
Sat
12:00 AM

WGVU
6/7/08
Sat
12:00 AM

WILL
6/7/08
Sat
10:45 PM
Champaign Springfield Decatur IL

WPBT
6/11/08
Wed
1:00 AM
Miami Ft. Lauderdale FL

KCOS
6/11/08
Wed
9:30 PM
El Paso TX

KCOS-X
6/11/08
Wed
9:30 PM
El Paso TX

KVIE
6/14/08
Sat
9:00 PM
Sacramento Stockton Modesto CA

KCET
6/14/08
Sat
Los Angeles CA

KVIE
6/15/08
Sun
4:00 AM
Sacramento Stockton Modesto CA

pbs doe sit again. I 1st saw the Fleetwood mac show on pbs long before it was out on dvd. same with another show long ago with a heavy lineup rippingtons, yellow jackets, bela flek, aurtuo sandavol, and more. had it on vhs mia long time now. always looked :) for it on dvd.

I rented the two discs from Netflix. I can say that the 5.1, if not great, is pretty good, has its moments; no denying the sound quality is exceptional. I'll save other comments for the eventual poll, heh...

ED :)

I've seen Frank live several times. An unforgettable experience. This performance is exciting especially since many of his old cohorts are performing here. Frank was good to other musicians that came along. Lowell George had played with Zappa, but one day Frank told him that he had too much soul for his group. Of course, he went on to fame with his own group, Little Feat. Unfortunately, Lowell died a few years later.My favorite 2 discs from Frank was Apostrophe & Overnite Sensation. Stay away from the yellow snow! In terms of son Dweezil. I always had a strange feeling about him. I don't think that he feels comfortable as the front man in any group. He lets everyone else take center court, while he is just too layed back. Also, whatever happened to sister Moon Unit?

really good show indeed!!who better to pay tribute to a genius of FZ. I saw a good tribute show by via and although very enjoyable it cannot compare to what dweezil put together. But!! I did find that I liked the pcm audio version better in 5 channel stereo option on my amp.

I've seen Frank live and I've also seen ZPZ twice, once in the very intimate Roxy in LA to celebrate the anniversary of the Roxy & Elsewhere release. Man, I would have loved to have seen Frank in that setting! I wish they'd release ZPZ in blu-ray, but I'll be popping the DVD in the player when I get home tonight.

Haven't seen the new DVD yet but did see the Dweez in 07 great show. Elmer to have seen Zappa and the Mothers in 1970 at the Fillmore East (w/Flo and Eddie et al) must have been awesome in person, thank god we have some very nice recording available from that period. Franks was the man.

DSC00026.jpg

Back