ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if they're going to make more. Have they done so in the past?

Right, i've been to the site and all it says is 'it's out of stock'

I can't imagine it was a limited run, so more will be pressed.

Best not start false rumours by saying it says 'they are not available' when it doesn't

I just received the first ELP and Tarkus from Amazon US and they were sealed with a sticker on them "Made in England" with Unknown Ballad on Tarkus. I have ordered 2 more of Tarkus from Amazon UK and they were dispatched last week.
I don't really think Sony will release Tarkus with Unknown Ballad removed due to the cost of re-doing the disc and packaging. This and the slow Atropos on the ELP disc may have been the reason why Sony will shy away from any future ELP surround releases. Once the current Tarkus is sold out, I think it will be history.

I don't really think Sony will release Tarkus with Unknown Ballad removed due to the cost of re-doing the disc and packaging. This and the slow Atropos on the ELP disc may have been the reason why Sony will shy away from any future ELP surround releases. Once the current Tarkus is sold out, I think it will be history.

How slow is it?

My copies arrived today from Amazon UK and I'm looking forward to listening to them :)

This may sound like sour grapes (I suppose it is sour grapes LOL) but these releases yet again increase my loathing of cardboard packaging.
Hopefully the music and sound quality make up for it.

You know what, I think maybe the music and sound quality did make up for it. ELP sounds stupendous and I'm sure Tarkus will too :)

I just received the first ELP and Tarkus from Amazon US and they were sealed with a sticker on them "Made in England" with Unknown Ballad on Tarkus. I have ordered 2 more of Tarkus from Amazon UK and they were dispatched last week.

??? But surround "lossless" (= uncompressed) PCM is also possible on a DVD-Video.

Uncompressed stereo PCM is an option on a DVD-video, but for surround you're limited to lossy compression formats (DTS, DTS 24/96, Dolby Digital). That's why there's this other format called DVD-audio.

Maybe you're thinking of Blu-Ray, where multichannel uncompressed PCM up to 24/192 is possible. I only own one disc that meets that spec, 'Divertimenti' from the Norwegian label 2L50, and it sounds spectacular.

To make a feeble feint at being on topic, I'm still waiting for my ELP/Tarkus order from Amazon UK. It's two days past the estimated delivery date; if it takes much longer I might as well have ordered it from the USA...

I want my ELP!

We're getting more stock in of ELP and they should be on the site by Monday (if the delivery runs ok!)

Still waiting to hear on Tarkus...

Thanks,

Lisa

Mine arrived today as well. And just as you said, they are unsealed and got beat up a bit. Not horribly, but they are not "mint". The cardboard is pretty cheezy at best. Not worth sending back, but I may get the US versions when they come out to keep as backups.

Mine arrived yesterday from Amazon UK, packed well with no damage whatsoever. Odd that Tarkus was unsealed/unwrapped, but ELP was shrink-wrapped. No biggie though, because they are both open now. They shipped on August 26th and arrived on September 5th ... a week and a half ... not bad at all considering the Atlantic Ocean, the Labour Day weekend, Canada Customs, and the combined efforts of the Royal Mail and Canada Post. It usually takes two weeks or more to get things from the US ... and I live an hour from the border.

I am now awaiting King Crimson LTIA from Burning Shed, and Ten Years After ASIT from Amazon DE.
My credit card might never get the chance to cool down. Keep 'em comin'! :)

To make a feeble feint at being on topic said:
...you are not alone, my friend. I'm still waiting too and I'm also in New Joisey. I'm thinking the Labor Day holiday is the reason for the delay beyond the est delivery date of 9/4 I was given.... let us pray :)

I am now awaiting King Crimson LTIA from Burning Shed, and Ten Years After ASIT from Amazon DE.
My credit card might never get the chance to cool down. Keep 'em comin'! :)

yeah, my credit card is burning up... i guess i will be paying some heavy interest for the next few months.

I really really want the blu ray from KC - LTIA, but that limited edition pack is way to expensive... DVDA only will have to do...

oh, and btw, my ELP has not arrived either. well, I know it takes about a month form the UK to Chile so I still have to sit in front of my player and wait

It is only slow on the CD Disc 2. Someone reported is was 6% slower but that disc is not a concern for me as I am into this for the surround.

I'm glad it's just a CD problem. I never would have noticed if it was 50% slower since I'd have never played the CD. Still waiting for my shipments to arrive.

There was an alert that Tarkus might be recalled because of copyright issues for one track..
Just to stick to the facts, there is no recall. There is mention that a next pressing of Tarkus will not have the track "Unknown Ballad".
As for speculating, the next pressing of Tarkus might not even have a DVD-A and ELP might have Atropos at the normal speed on the CD.
it's a Greg Lake tune with Gary Moore singing IMHO
Some think it is Keith Emerson singing :eek:.

Interesting. What would be the maximum playing time in this case?
It depends:
Single layer or double layer disk?
5, 6 or 8 channels?
16, 20 or 24 bit?

Two examples:
DVD-9 SingleSide Double Layer disk, capacity: 7.95 GiB
6 channels * 20 bit * 48 kHz = 5760 kbit/s = 720 kB/s = 43200 kB/min = 42.1875 MiB/min
7.95 GiB / 42.1875 MiB/min ~ 188 min ~ 3 hours
or
same disk as above
8 channels * 16 bit * 48 kHz = 6144 kbit/s = 768 kB/s = 46080 kB/min = 45 MiB/min
7.95 GiB / 45 MiB/min ~ 176 min ~ 3 hours

Last edited:
Back