ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... So this specs may have been modified after the release of Book C specs and/or mch LPCM playback was left out from the DVD-video players...
Maybe, the price for the real specs is "only" US$5000, so we are forced to search in the internet...
But: In the other thread someone has managed to play 6 channel 16 bit LPCM on his OPPO player, but not on his Pioneer players.

Amazon says they will have it 9/11 and Best Buy 9/24. Can't be two different release dates, so which is it?

I can't believe the copies I ordered still haven't arrived from Amazon.UK....very slow indeed :(

I believe it depends on when you ordered them. I ordered mine a week or two before a friend of mine and I received them a week and a half before he did. I placed my pre-order on April 1.

My Amazon UK order *finally* got here late this afternoon. I ordered months ago and they shipped a couple weeks ago, a little slower than I usually get from the UK. But I've got 'em now and should have time to play them this weekend.

I'm also still waiting for my preorder from Amazon.Uk. I orderered months ago too. Already past the due date on my shipping email.

My UK order is 3 days past the due date. I just checked my PO box today on the way home from the gym. The German order isn't really due yet, says the 12th (it was shipped on 8/23).

Checked the local Best Buy yesterday to see if maybe they'd been put out early and couldn't even find a section for ELP.

My UK order is 3 days past the due date. I just checked my PO box today on the way home from the gym. The German order isn't really due yet, says the 12th (it was shipped on 8/23).

Checked the local Best Buy yesterday to see if maybe they'd been put out early and couldn't even find a section for ELP.

I had mine on preorder for months from Amazon.co.uk and just got them yesterday - on the east coast. Sometimes it is fast, and sometimes not...

I ordered on 8/27-supposed to be here on 9/10 - never get mail on mondays.
and no tracking on it either!

I ordered two more Tarkus sets from Amazon UK on Aug 29 (I have ordered 4 in total). Hopefully they will be here next week. The Razor & Tie Tarkus release is supposedly the same without Unknown Ballad removed according to a rep I spoke with from R&T. It seems they will sell out whatever they had already pressed and if they need more, the new version will have UB removed.
If anyone has pre-ordered the vinyl versions of both albums, they have had a very good response on those and have to press more to keep up with the demand.

No!
Max 8 channels uncompressed 48 kHz LPCM are possible with DVD-Video. Read the specs, e.g. http://www.mpeg.org/MPEG/DVD/Book_B/Audio.html!

Are there examples of commercially issued DVD-Video discs with uncompressed surround? It has never been used to my knowledge, maybe because the datarate would prove too large for some players to read without stuttering?

Plenty of 2 channel stereo LPCM DVDs. For example, Pretenders Greatest Hits and Duran Duran.

update: Woops, I mis-read the question. I thought it said uncompressed sound but it says uncompressed surround, so disregard this post and if a gort wants to delete it, go ahead.

I've never known of a surround LPCM DVD.

Are there examples of commercially issued DVD-Video discs with uncompressed surround? It has never been used to my knowledge, maybe because the datarate would prove too large for some players to read without stuttering?

No, because these are DVD-Audio discs.

Yes, I don't get why drSeehas always brings this subject back (he's also done it on the Steve Hoffman forum...)...
Because it is possible and nearly nobody knows about it. Look at the answers here (DVD-Audio, BD, HD DVD only).
I don't understand why the labels don't publish DVD-Video with 5.1 48 kHz / 20-bit uncompressed LPCM. No need for a DVD-Audio player. No need for a BD player. No need for expensive BDs.

Edit:
... the datarate would prove too large for some players to read without stuttering
The datarate of 6 channel 48 kHz / 20-bit uncompressed LPCM would be 5760 kbit/s, 6 channel 48 kHz / 16-bit uncompressed LPCM would be 4608 kbit/s. DVD-Video discs have a raw bitrate of 11.08 Mbit/s, with a 1.0 Mbit/s overhead, leaving a payload bitrate of 10.08 Mbit/s, which is approximately double of the above numbers.

Because it is possible and nearly nobody knows about it. Look at the answers here (DVD-Audio, BD, HD DVD only).
I don't understand why the labels don't publish DVD-Video with 5.1 48 kHz / 20-bit uncompressed LPCM. No need for a DVD-Audio player. No need for a BD player. No need for expensive BDs.

Look. The deal is the labels didn't. If the music labels and DVD player manufactures were going to do it, they would have done so in the 1990s. But they didn't and there are no Multi-Channel LPCM titles to buy on DVD-V. Also, many DVD-Audio titles with Multi-Channel and Stereo, along with Dolby and perhaps DTS as well on the DVD-V side, all just fit on a DVD 5 disc. Adding a redundant stream would only make the disc and manufacturing costs go up. It's so like partying like it's 1999.

The music labels and DVD player manufactures also screwed up by not mandating that all players do DVD-Audio and SACD by the early 2000's. Why buy a disc if you can't play it? Despite that, both formats succeded anyway.

DVD-Audio and SACD have survived quite nicely and will continue to do so. We already own 1000's of discs in both formats and manufacturing costs are cheap to produce them. What we need now is for DVD-Audio - SACD abilities to continue on in future players at this point.

... many DVD-Audio titles with Multi-Channel and Stereo, along with Dolby and perhaps DTS as well on the DVD-V side, all just fit on a DVD 5 disc. Adding a redundant stream would only make the disc and manufacturing costs go up.
Do you know the manufacturing costs of DVD5, DVD9 and BD discs?
Up to approximately 60 minutes of a combined DVD-Video with 6 channel uncompressed LPCM and DVD-Audio would fit on a single layer DVD5 disc (if it is tight, you can leave out DD and/or dts). If you want more, the added cost for a double layer DVD9 is negligible today. BD is a totally other game.

... Why buy a disc if you can't play it? ...
:confused: A DVD-Video with 6 channel uncompressed LPCM would have been playable on every DVD player in contrast to DVD-Audio, SACD and BD.

The reason to go for DVD-Audio or SACD and against DVD-Video with surround uncompressed LPCM was copy protection and watermarking.

Back