ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BSS was released in SACD also and I am happy with those releases. WBMF may sound shitty but if it is remastered, it may sound fine for what is on the tapes. PAAE was a much better recording.
Mar Y Sol has a great early Tarkus but are there any multi-tracks of that show?

Yes, PAAE is a much superior recording than WBMF, but I think Mar y Sol trumps 'em both...
and yes, the multis are still around (that's how they released it first on the box set and then on the standalone CD a couple of years back)...
They only played for like an hour or so....

Ok, both titles finally arrived from Amazon U.K. today, about 14 days or so after ordering. Both arrived in perfect shape as always. "Tarkus" was still sealed and ELP was not. I will try to post reviews after living with these for awhile. But first impression was a big Wow, and "Lucky Man" sounded great. Also like the "non-mastering" approach to final mixes as it seems to give the recordings a Huge amount of dynamic range, which these recordings richly deserve. On my Quad AMP at the end of "Lucky Man," the synthesizer sounds lush and totally great, with that thick 70s analog sound. Very impressive.

One last thing, no matter where you order, one should be good - if you order now. Keep in mind, if the past is any indicator with ELP titles, both BSS versions (DVD-A/SACD) now fetch big bucks.

Ok, both titles finally arrived from Amazon U.K. today, about 14 days or so after ordering. Both arrived in perfect shape as always. "Tarkus" was still sealed and ELP was not. I will try to post reviews after living with these for awhile. But first impression was a big Wow, and "Lucky Man" sounded great. Also like the "non-mastering" approach to final mixes as it seems to give the recordings a Huge amount of dynamic range, which these recordings richly deserve. On my Quad AMP at the end of "Lucky Man," the synthesizer sounds lush and totally great, with that thick 70s analog sound. Very impressive.

One last thing, no matter where you order, one should be good - if you order now. Keep in mind, if the past is any indicator with ELP titles, both BSS versions (DVD-A/SACD) now fetch big bucks.

I already received my third copy of Tarkus with a fourth one on the way from Amazon UK and the fifth one ordered from Razor & Tie. I have two copies of ELP S/T and a third one coming from R&T with a vinyl version of each pre-ordered.
If the sales of these releases does not warrant the next batch being released in surround, you can't blame bad sales on me!

That is not what a TRUE music fan does. I will have a couple of copies but would never think of making a profit from the music.

I already received my third copy of Tarkus with a fourth one on the way from Amazon UK and the fifth one ordered from Razor & Tie. I have two copies of ELP S/T and a third one coming from R&T with a vinyl version of each pre-ordered.
If the sales of these releases does not warrant the next batch being released in surround, you can't blame bad sales on me!

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you planning on doing with 5 copies of Tarkus?

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you planning on doing with 5 copies of Tarkus?

One Tarkus copy is for a friend and the other copies will just be added to my collection. I currently have 12 sealed Cottilion Vinyl LP's of Tarkus and maybe 20 copies total. I have many different ELP vinyl albums from all around the world. I have 6 BSS DVD-A copies, 2 sealed and numerous other oddities and multiples. I have more ELP stuff than you could ever imagine. never heard of and probably wouldn't even care about. I am just a big time ELP collecting addict.
They used one of the many bootlegs I made in the 70's in one of their Manticore box sets and I only have one copy of that but I have the master tapes.
When I am gone, my twin 8yo boys will have to deal with all I have collected over the years, ELP related and say "what was dad thinking!"
So lock me up!

Yes, PAAE is a much superior recording than WBMF, but I think Mar y Sol trumps 'em both...
and yes, the multis are still around (that's how they released it first on the box set and then on the standalone CD a couple of years back)....

Did they start with multitracks for those releases? Or was it mastered from 2-track mixdown masters?

(excerpts from the Mar Y Sol festival were released as a 2 LP set way back when. Only one ELP track was included....'Take a Pebble'. )

I have all the Manticore bootleg boxes. Sound quality varies widely. Which album did you do?

As I mentioned, Tarkus is my fave. I had an Ampex duplicated cassette from the week it was released. I later bought a UK LP and UK CD. The bass on the UK CD is more than ample. By week's end, I'll have the Tarkus and ELP DVD-A's.

ssully, I have both the recent CD of Mar y Sol, and a mint double LP. The CD is not to be missed.
...They used one of the many bootlegs I made in the 70's in one of their Manticore box sets and I only have one copy of that but I have the master tape...
So lock me up!

One Tarkus copy is for a friend and the other copies will just be added to my collection. I currently have 12 sealed Cottilion Vinyl LP's of Tarkus and maybe 20 copies total. I have many different ELP vinyl albums from all around the world. I have 6 BSS DVD-A copies, 2 sealed and numerous other oddities and multiples. I have more ELP stuff than you could ever imagine. never heard of and probably wouldn't even care about. I am just a big time ELP collecting addict.
They used one of the many bootlegs I made in the 70's in one of their Manticore box sets and I only have one copy of that but I have the master tapes.
When I am gone, my twin 8yo boys will have to deal with all I have collected over the years, ELP related and say "what was dad thinking!"
So lock me up!

Thanks, now I can prove to my wife that there are people more obsessed at this collecting thing than me. At least I don't do multiple copies :)

Multiple copies? There are titles where I own/have owned a dozen copies. Most classic rock albums, I own/have owned 7 or more copies. Multichannel mixes and superior pressings have allowed me to listen in a new way. It's expensive but I wait for them with baited breath, just like new releases.

Thanks, now I can prove to my wife that there are people more obsessed at this collecting thing than me. At least I don't do multiple copies :)

Linda, I'm talking about multiple copies of the exact same thing, not different versions of the same title, I have plenty of those. I've also purchased replacements of worn out vinyl over the years, just not until a replacement is needed.

Nevermind. I've done that a few times. The Edsel LP of Moby Grape, my favorite album, is one of the few. I've bought a dozen copies. There are a couple hundred where I've replaced vinyl. Most of that was in the late '70's.

I hope that ELP do a DVDA of WBMFTTSTNE, when you concider the band at the time toured with a Quad system, which must have been amazing, its the nearest thing to a surround sound as it was meant to be, I would love to hear the end section of Karn evil part 3 coming out of the speakers.
as mentioned it would be some task remastering that, can you make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.
Its one of lifes most frustrating things when you look at the fantastic preformances from the early 70's most were filmed or recorded poorly and yet today with hirez and blu ray and so on we have the gear but the ship has sailed, still i'll wait with anticipation.

If you want to hear the end of Karn Evil 9 Pt3 from all speakers then you need a copy of the BSS DVD-A

If you want to hear the end of Karn Evil 9 Pt3 from all speakers then you need a copy of the BSS DVD-A

I have the dvda of bss I would like to hear the welcome back version, the point I was trying to make was if that live album can be impoved by Mr wilson from the master reels, then it would be the closest thing to the live event from all those years ago, as ELP bss tour they had a quad pa set up.

Ah right.Well i read somewhere the original multi-tracks to WBMF have been lost, so if that's true, the only way you'd be able to here the end is via the quad version that was only released on Q8

There was a 'release' recently where someone did a fair job in transfering the three Q8's to DVD-A/V, although the manufacturing issues on one of them is still noticable

I have all the Manticore bootleg boxes. Sound quality varies widely. Which album did you do?

My recording is Disc 1 from Volume 4, Hartford Civic Center, CT 10th July, 1977.
I started recording ELP in 1971 after I heard someone playing a cassette of the infamous Gaelic Park show on the train on my way home from that show. My first recording was was ELP's Thanksgiving night show at MSG 1971.

Ah right.Well i read somewhere the original multi-tracks to WBMF have been lost, so if that's true, the only way you'd be able to here the end is via the quad version that was only released on Q8

There was a 'release' recently where someone did a fair job in transfering the three Q8's to DVD-A/V, although the manufacturing issues on one of them is still noticable

My version of WBMF is seen in my avatar. I handed copies to Keith and Greg personally but I doubt they ever listened to it.

Does anyone know what the hardware was that was used to UPMIX Devil's Triangle on King Crimson's In The Wake Of Poseidon?

Back