ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll eventually post on the individual review threads, but I'm thrilled with these discs. The minor issues noted above don't seem to bother me a bit!

If my set is missing the CDs I won't say anything about. Wouldn't play 'em anyway.

Checked the post office box on Saturday and neither shipment has arrived (amazon germany, amazon uk), so will check it again next Saturday.

I know, Neil. Just pointing it out for fellow members. Should we attempt to inform Sony of this error?
NO! Absolutely not..

Let's just THANK Sony VERY MUCH for this project and ask that they do more of these projects and Not bring up anything negative please. Thanks.

Also, let's not forget Sony is sitting on a boat load of the best Quadraphonic masters ever.

NO! Absolutely not..

Let's just THANK Sony VERY MUCH for this project and ask that they do more of these projects and Not bring up anything negative please. Thanks.

Also, let's not forget Sony is sitting on a boat load of the best Quadraphonic masters ever.

Ditto..

FIRST THANKS STEVEN THANKS NEIL THANKS DANIAL THANKS SONY THANKS TO THE TEAM THAT MADE THIS GIFT POSSIBLE - Which of these two releases gets the GRAMMY NOMINATION???? That is the question....

I to say grin` and bear it- We need to hear PAAE and Trilogy. The difference is a measured 6/%. But frankly my dear I don't give a damn, I am going to the 5.1 discs on my system a hundred times then ext few days atropos ends GREAT knife edge GREAT Bitches Crystal GREAT He should left in tan and the 3 fates.
I miss pictures and lyrics as a menu item. I believe this was was all kind of rushed at the end and so worth to get it in DVD-audio so take it with a grain of salt when I day that I'd like to see more DVD-a CONTENT. hOW ABOUT THE pirates VIDEO? hOW ABOUT LYRICS to all ELP music. I know it is not that hard JUST TIME CONSUMING. .

NO! Absolutely not..

Ok. I've ended up creating my own "definitive" version of the entire Three Fates, by editing out the original mix of the last fate (Atropos) from the first CD and editing in the new mix (from the DVD-A stereo master). Sounds fantastic! I've also sequenced the new mixes with the older mixes of the missing tracks in the correct order on my iPhone (with the extra tracks at the end).

Ok. I've ended up creating my own "definitive" version of the entire Three Fates, by editing out the original mix of the last fate (Atropos) from the first CD and editing in the new mix (from the DVD-A stereo master). Sounds fantastic! I've also sequenced the new mixes with the older mixes of the missing tracks in the correct order on my iPhone (with the extra tracks at the end).

Cool. See, wasn't that quicker than sending an e-mail? Thanks. :)

From Steven Wilson himself on the Steve Hoffman forum:

At this stage no-one has asked me to be involved in any further ELP remixes. I suspect that a lot will depend on how well received these first 2 are. My personal policy is only do albums that I'm genuinely a fan of, so that would rule out anything after BSS anyway.

SW

So as Neil and others have stated before, PLEASE BUY THESE REISSUES!!!!!
They are great, so we need to convince Sony to let Steven remix Trilogy (at the very least), and the only way to convince then is with our money so buy these!

Now, I'm at least a bit optimistic that there will be more based on Razor & Tie's press release:
Razor & Tie’s full catalogue re-issue campaign will continue with the release of newly expanded, re-mastered, editions of four additional ELP classic albums: Pictures At An Art Exhibition (1971- Live Album), Trilogy (1972- Studio Album), Brain Salad Surgery (1973- Studio Album), and Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends – Ladies & Gentlemen (1974- Live Album).

So we'll just to have to be patient and see what the future holds for ELP in 5.1 :)

One VERY BIG SURPRISE...
OK, I knew that they were DVD-A (YEAH!!)...
but, I didn't know that it was
ONLY DVD-A!!!!
(no DTS or Dullbee)

It's not only DVD-A, there is content in the normal DVD (video_ts folder) as well. My software DVD player which doesn't play DVD-A sees "High Resolution Stereo" and "DTS 5.1 Digital Surround" in the disc's audio setup menu. And when check the titles in the video_ts via another tool, I see that Title 1 has LPCM stereo and Title 2 has 6 channel AC3 and DTS. So everyone should get these, even those who only have a regular DVD player! :)

It's not only DVD-A, there is content in the normal DVD (video_ts folder) as well. My software DVD player which doesn't play DVD-A sees "High Resolution Stereo" and "DTS 5.1 Digital Surround" in the disc's audio setup menu. And when check the titles in the video_ts via another tool, I see that Title 1 has LPCM stereo and Title 2 has 6 channel AC3 and DTS. So everyone should get these, even those who only have a regular DVD player! :)

OK, my bad...I did NOT inspect the onscreen menu when I listened to them today,
but then..
why are there no DTS or Dullbee logos on the case (or the discs)?

Just curious...I was wondering since I thought that it would be very strange for them (or Neil) to not include even a DTS stream....

My plans for the ELP DVD-As include buying them, listening to them, treasuring them, posting links about them, tweeting about them and telling others to buy them!

Rinse and repeat.

Looks like Best Buy will stock them in stores near the end of the month at $17.99.

I now have both of these in my hands, thank you amazon.uk for speedy delivery all the way to Australia.
All I want to say is these dts discs sounds FANTASTIC ! I am very impressed with the mixing and sound. Its what a re-issue should be. Thank you Neil, Steven and Sony for doing this. I can see these discs being in my car, stereo etc for a while longer.

OK, my bad...I did NOT inspect the onscreen menu when I listened to them today,
but then..
why are there no DTS or Dullbee logos on the case (or the discs)?

Just curious...I was wondering since I thought that it would be very strange for them (or Neil) to not include even a DTS stream....

No Idea.
The Dullby stream is a hidden one for spec compliance - it was impossible to put the DTS with the LPCM because of the different track listings, and it is out of spec to use just a DTS stream on it's own in a timeline (even though I have seen it done many times by authoring houses who ought to know better).

There is also absolutely no point at all in making a pure DVD-A for a commercial release for exactly the same reasons there is no point making a DVD-V only version.
1 - replication costs are identical - DVD5 is DVD5, no matter what the content.
2 - using one format only restricts & limits your market. Pure DVDA is too small a market, and excludes Video-only player owners, and pure DVD-V is an insult to these mixes.
They deserve a lossless release. Also, straight DVD-V is an insult to surround fans as the obvious statement being made is "screw you, you will be happy with whatever crap we give you".
Thankfully, both Sony & Razor & Tie agree and this is why we have these on DVD-A/V hybrids - you know it makes sense!!

Back