(2024-05/06) S&V mag - Machine Head in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting this Kirk. I am always interested in what the remixer has to say regarding what they did and why they did it. For example, quoting from the article:

"Mettler: Obviously, we have to talk about what you did with “Smoke on the Water” in Atmos. No pressure, by the way, on you to do one of the most famous songs that way. (Zappa laughs) Did you feel that pressure? I mean, was that a thing you had to consider while you were working on it?

Zappa: (chuckles) Yeah, well, the thing about that song is, there was sort of a directive from the band overall since they weren’t all that familiar with the format—it’s still quite new to many artists—and there’s a fear that if you take apart something and you expose it in a way that “unglues” the thing, it might give people an experience that isn’t similar to what their nostalgic memory is. So, I took what they were saying as, “Don’t make it too Atmos-y.”

There is more detail provided on Smoke On The Water, among others.

Back