3D TV & Blu-Rays

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sony rather quietly released a handful of games for PS3 back in the day that included both 2D and 3D versions of the game. The 3D looked fantastic, but for me, the big turnoff was the lag. Personally, I found even relatively slow placed games like the classic ICO or Shadow Of The Colossus to be largely unplayable. And, trust me, I am not one of those hand-eye twitch masters. I am an old school gamer dating back to 1982. I am basically old and slow, but based on my experiences with those PlayStation 3 games, I couldn't imagine playing an intensive FPS like Doom in 3D. I assume 3D gaming is tremendously better from a technology standpoint nowadays, however, currently my gaming interests are geared more towards quality of life features like Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, and VR. As always, YMMV.

View attachment 107912
I played all the way through Ratchet & Clank All 4 One on the PS3 in 3D. It was super choppy but it’s such a good game and the writing and dialogue are so funny it kept me going through it, but yeah, on the whole 3D on PS3 wasn’t great. A lot of the tent-pole releases were 30fps in just 2D; Uncharted for instance I just didn’t want to play. But yeah I was spoiled by P.C. frame rates…I was building out my gaming rig to play triple-A titles at 120fps/1440p for the 60fps per eye required for smooth stereoscopic 3D…these days I can’t look at Anime or stop-go animation without thinking “Nope! Framerate!”.

Having said that; I think there were some PSP titles that were converted to 3D for the PS3 that ran really well…off the top of my head, I seem to remember there was at least one God of War title that was really good to play in 3D on PS3.

I’ve had to give up gaming because it’s too addictive for me; I’ve had carpel tunnel since Breath of the Wild. I’ve still not got full use of my hand back; and it looks like I may need surgery for it.

Also:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/releasedates.php?3d=1

…but not sure if it covers the Japanese releases.

Last edited:
HOT off the presses! The first 3D movie shot in color and newly released under the auspices of the 3~D Film Archive/Kino Lorber fully restored from a 4K scan:

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/132902/bwanadevil3d.html

81PDaR4qDfL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
FYI, for those who missed out on getting 3D blu-rays of Jurassic World: Dominion, Minions: The Rise of Gru, and The Bad Guys when Random Space Media in Australia went out of business, Turbine Media has acquired the rights and reissued them last month. They are available as a bundle, and yes they ship to the USA:

https://turbine-shop.de/en/3D-Turbi...c-World-3-Minions-2-Die-Gangster-Gang/6961273

They have also announced the release of the following 3D blu-rays over the next year:

TMNT Mutant Mayhem
Transformers Rise of the Beasts
Bumblebee
Mission Impossible: Fall Out
Scream 6
Friday the 13th Part 3
Dr. Doolittle
Sing 2
Migration

Hopefully more to come...
I can confirm that the 3D Jurassic World Dominion is one of the worst 3D titles I own. Very little depth throughout. About one popout if memory serves me and I personally think the 2D extended version is far superior.

The 3D is on a par with Clash of the Titans.....it's that bad

HOT off the presses! The first 3D movie shot in color and newly released under the auspices of the 3~D Film Archive/Kino Lorber fully restored from a 4K scan:

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/132902/bwanadevil3d.html

81PDaR4qDfL._SL1500_.jpg
Arch Oboler and the 3-D Film Archive?? I don't even have a way to play it in 3D, but I will buy this. Those Furmanek boys really know their stuff! (y)(y) Also, a big shout out and a huge thank you to Kino Lorber for their continued support of 3D on Blu-ray.

I lucked, by timing, into buying a 2016 LG, 4K with passive 3D. I retired that year, and didn’t want to haul my 2004-ish Panasonic plasma, which was beautiful in its day, to Colorado. Little did I know that would be the last OLED with 3D, but it is awesome.

An alternative that works well for me is using the bd3d2mk3d script, which uses a combination of MakeMKV, ffmpeg, and other stuff, to convert a 3D BluRay into whatever form MKV video you’d like - full or half SBS, top/bottom, etc. Then use a VR rig of your choice, from an iPhone or Android with an old Google cardboard setup, all of the way up to a Quest 3 VR. Presumably the Apple glasses will work as well. The Quest 3 doesn’t have the fresnel lens of the prior models, so the picture is very clear (2Kx2K per eye). I serve the videos via Plex, and they look as good on the LG as the originals. Also via SMB for the Quest 3.

Way back in the Panasonic plasma’s time, I was a bit obsessed with turning 3D videos into something I could watch, usually using various Windows multimedia software (the developers kit from Microsoft) to de-interleave 3D frame-by-frame videos and turn them into SBS. I eventually found a version of HD Fury hardware that, together with shutter glasses that they sold, would do half-frame rate 3D on that plasma display. Very very dark but fine at night.

A decade before that, my lovely wife had ventured into the electronics district in Seoul on a business trip to South Korea and bought me 3D shutter glasses for PCs, not readily available at the time elsewhere. The game Descent had native 3D rendering with shutter glasses support and was really great.

I’ve managed to buy all of the Marvel films that are in 3D, most of those directly from Japan. Plus as many other 3D BluRays as I can find.
I should have mentioned that on a Meta Quest 3 “Skybox VR Player” is the best app I have found for viewing 3D movies encoded to MKV.

For Google Cardboard on an iPhone, Mobile VR Station works well and can access network shares.

What! You bought Horror Express instead of purchasing The Brain That Wouldnt Die in 3D? A 1962 classic that was never nominated for anything.

All the 3d titles listed by this seller say they are not studio releases but are film transfers and are alaglyph view , the red and blue glasses.

Me thinks these are the Silverlines of 3D movies.........

What! You bought Horror Express instead of purchasing The Brain That Wouldnt Die in 3D? A 1962 classic that was never nominated for anything.
I haven’t watched it yet, but come on…

Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Telly Savalas!

Edit: I’m watching it now on YouTube:

…or to use it’s original title:

Pánico en el Transiberiano !! 🫨

Edit: I don’t know; I think this might be too much for me in 3D…and I’m not even past the bit at the beginning where the cinematographer shines a flashlight down the camera lens through an amber filter to make it look like an approaching train. 🫣

…I wonder if that’s a Dykstraflex carrying the camera past the flashlight…

…oops, no…it was only Peter Cushing. 🙃

Last edited:

All the 3d titles listed by this seller say they are not studio releases but are film transfers and are alaglyph view , the red and blue glasses.

Me thinks these are the Silverlines of 3D movies.........
Yikes, didn't see that but seller states RETURNS ACCEPTED!

So even with 3D TV being dead, someone is "upscaling" exploitation movies into 3D? Wow.

Virginia Leith from The Brain That Wouldn't Die (or, as the end title card has it, The Head That Wouldn't Die) previously worked with Stanley Kubrick. The mind in my severed head boggles. I unironically love that movie. It's so gleefully cheap and dumb and has that "How did they get away with this?" endless bit with the torn-off arm.

I guess 4ears will be able to report soon if this 3D upscale succeeded. So its another its so bad its good movie....

So even with 3D TV being dead, someone is "upscaling" exploitation movies into 3D? Wow.

Virginia Leith from The Brain That Wouldn't Die (or, as the end title card has it, The Head That Wouldn't Die) previously worked with Stanley Kubrick. The mind in my severed head boggles. I unironically love that movie. It's so gleefully cheap and dumb and has that "How did they get away with this?" endless bit with the torn-off arm.
My TV will do a fair job of faking 3D. I haven’t tried it in ages, though.

Back