4 More Quadio titles coming in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cover is starchy white but the quad LP does have a gray border. So possible. But I think they are going for a bigger hit album rather than cult item for now.

I should hope so. A big ticket artist or an unreleased, vintage mix of a big artist would definitely make some waves and drive sales. Who would've thought Quadio would get a second chance after what happened a few years ago? I sure didn't think they'd ever try again. Pleasantly surprised is a total understatement. Not thrilled over the Blu-Ray format, but, I guess I don't have much of a choice. Would've been nice to have been able to play these in the car. Whatever. I'm over it.

I just hope that the continue to push for titles people want to hear and buy. Unreleased stuff would be even better.

Not thrilled over the Blu-Ray format, but, I guess I don't have much of a choice. Would've been nice to have been able to play these in the car. Whatever. I'm over it.
Blu Ray is the most realistic physical format for quad releases these days. DVD-A is dead, DVD-V would give sub standard audio quality, and SACD is a niche format playable by few people plus only easily allows one version of the album.

I should hope so. A big ticket artist or an unreleased, vintage mix of a big artist would definitely make some waves and drive sales. Who would've thought Quadio would get a second chance after what happened a few years ago? I sure didn't think they'd ever try again.
I didn't see anything happen that risked the future of the Quadio series format. All the titles sold out eventually some faster than others, but all now gone and commanding higher prices on the used market. Are you speaking of the couple of the Chicago discs that had flaws on the stereo layers?

The cover is starchy white but the quad LP does have a gray border. So possible. But I think they are going for a bigger hit album rather than cult item for now.
I don't know about that. I wouldn't call Donny Hathaway a "cult item." Was J Geils really that big of a deal? I mean, that album only had one hit song on it so I can't imagine it had huge sales back in the day. (Plus, technically he was on Atco Records so I don't really know if he fits into the "Atlantic" category that FR gave us as a hint.)

And I'm not really sure that going for top sales is the overall reasons for release. Of course it's a factor, but have you looked at some of the stereo stuff that's been rereleased by Rhino and others. 🙄 Makes you wonder.

Justify it any way you want. I'm still not happy about it. I do a LOT of listening in the car.
Or, get the equipment manufacturers to get their poop in a group and start producing car audio head units capable of multichannel Blu-Ray play back.
I see your point and agree for the most part. I'd love to play these (even if just in 2 channel) in my Mazda CX-5...yes, I'm old school and still drive something with a CD player in it. I'm a big fan of *hybrid* MCH SACD's as they can be played pretty much in any player. To me, they're the best of both worlds, but I realize they're a niche product primarily marketed to "audiophiles" and the like. However, I will continue to support Rhino in purchasing all Quadio releases that suit my musical tastes, even if they are Blu-ray.

Last edited:
I didn't see anything happen that risked the future of the Quadio series format. All the titles sold out eventually some faster than others, but all now gone and commanding higher prices on the used market. Are you speaking of the couple of the Chicago discs that had flaws on the stereo layers?

Even prior to that, Rhino Handmade , owned by the Warner Group; came out with what they called Quadio with Chicago Transit Authority on DVD-A (sort of) and then The Best of Aretha Franklin. Most people thought the Aretha disk to be a bit of a poor choice and that they should have pushed for a bigger-name title. Shortly after that, I don't recall exactly what happened, but Rhino or Warners had a shake-up in management and the first thing killed was the Quadio program. There were no subsequent releases until years later when they tried with the full Chicago boxed-set and then the Doobies. Might not still be Rhino Handmade, but is still a derivative of the Warner Group.

It would be like if Audio Fidelity somehow managed to restart their Quad program today and launched with the Paul Simon, Edgar Winter and Aerosmith catalogs.

I'd shit. :poop:

I ordered several during the Handmade era. Here's a pic of the Aretha release...it sounds terrific tonight.

IMG_3214.jpeg

Last edited:
I ordered several during the Handmade era. Here's a pic of the Aretha release...it sounds terrific tonight.

View attachment 96033
I like how they used all the original graphics including QuadraDisc and the pastel green border, etc.
But I am glad that we have moved away from the DTS encoded DVD format.

Okay, to clarify, none of these four has had a 5.1 release either.
I think only two of them were issued on quad open reels back in the day. NO, maybe three as I see one on Discogs going going for $589.99. Good luck with that!
Again, no pre-release ordering on these. Don't know why.
Maybe this one?

1694202952210.png

Last edited:
Overall update for those who just arrived or for those struggling to keep track of things.

The release date is Friday, October 13th, 2023. No preorders will be available, and there will be a bundle order option just like for the previous set (i.e. reduced price if you buy the set, as opposed to buying each individually).

There will be a preview event for the set at Common Wave in Downtown LA on Thursday, September 21st with the Rhino Quadio gang, playing tracks, discussion, Q&A, etc. Whether that, or a prior date, is when the albums of the set will be officially revealed is not entirely clear (please correct me if I am incorrect on this). No specific time for the event has been provided yet, and there is currently no listing yet on the Common Wave site for the event.

Clue updates (clues provided by @ForagingRhino):

Clue 1:
1 Jazz
1 R&B
1 Singer/Songwriter
1 Soft Rock

Clue 2:
1 Warner Bros
1 Reprise
2 Atlantic

Clue 3 (see image):
91153-Screen-Shot-2023-08-30-at-4.53.53-PM.png

Clue 4:
None of these albums have been reissued with their quad mixes.

Clue 5:
None of these albums have received a 5.1 mix.

Clue 6:
2-3 of the albums were released on quad reel, with apparently one available on Discogs for $589.99

For reference, here is a list of quadrophonic LP releases, organized by record label: QuadraphonicQuad - WEA GROUP Records Checklist

Last edited:
It's just the red spine or bordered one that confuses. Looks like it's the singer-songwriter title.

What were we thinking again? Gordon Lightfoot or Randy Newman .......?
Both are Reprise, but I don't see them being done with red packaging.

No chance at all of Bette Midler now that Atlantic is already covered for two titles.

Last edited:
Back