4 More Quadio titles coming in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’ll be interesting too see these mellow listeners come out by the droves, and help this batch outsell the last four!

🙂
Well talk like that just makes me want to only buy the rock titles and boycott the lighter stuff. Framing it that way will not help in the long run.

“Sundown” is a stunner song and major album for artist and label. And together with the others creates a nice cross section of listening.

And those who like things on the lighter side will feel more included here than with the last white hot batch of rock. For these listeners there is much more S&C, Spinners, Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, and Carly, etc. to be considered, so long as they come out and buy these by the thousands.

It’ll be interesting too see these mellow listeners come out by the droves, and help this batch outsell the last four!

🙂
Have you seen some of the vinyl that Rhino presses? There's no way they get big sales out of them. Regina Spektor? Edith Piaf? Enya? Roxette? Peter, Paul & Mary? Chic?
They aren't planning to make big sales on those. I'm guessing any Quadio might beat sales on any of those artists

Well talk like that just makes me want to only buy the rock titles and boycott the lighter stuff. Framing it that way will not help in the long run.
Why's that Bill? I do prefer rock, but I have a real soft spot for the mellow sounds of the 70's.....it's all good by me. Maybe when Rhino releases the next 4, Dutton will come out same time with some awesome titles. Surely we can all find stuff we like between all that.

Why's that Bill? I do prefer rock, but I have a real soft spot for the mellow sounds of the 70's.....it's all good by me. Maybe when Rhino releases the next 4, Dutton will come out same time with some awesome titles. Surely we can all find stuff we like between all that.
I was just pointing out that making it a battle between hard rock and light rock with the purpose of tilting Rhino's release probability of each, isn't a good idea. We want them all to come out.
I like a lot of soft rock too, and am open to other genres as well, but not if I think me buying them will lessen the probability of real rock albums being released.

BTW, I doubt any release will outsell BS Paranoid (but maybe I am so biased that I am not seeing clearly)

I was just pointing out that making it a battle between hard rock and light rock with the purpose of tilting Rhino's release probability of each, isn't a good idea. We want them all to come out.
I like a lot of soft rock too, and am open to other genres as well, but not if I think me buying them will lessen the probability of real rock albums being released.

BTW, I doubt any release will outsell BS Paranoid (but maybe I am so biased that I am not seeing clearly)
ahh.. bah humbug! 😋😅😂 there's no battle between Hard Rock and the Softer stuff, that's all a load of BS (and i don't mean Black Sabbath!) 😂 tbh i think if the forum sleuthing, suggestions, guesses etc are anything to go by, if some of this upcoming bundle contains anything of the quality of any of the Spinners or Gordon Lightfoot Quads (and there's 5 albums in all of those Rhino can choose from) then dare i say it the Quadio's deserve to fly off the shelves/out of the warehouse, these are real gems that haven't had a reissue in Surround in pretty much 50 years!!! 🤯🤩🤞

My music tastes are very diversified. The Spinners is of least interest to me, but I'll still buy it. That goes for all remaining quad possibilities still out there. Well if everything is released and the last remaining bundle is:

BS4-2751 Greenboard South (Railroad Sounds)
BS4-2757 Last Train to Waterloo (Railroad Sounds)
BS4-2788 The Storm & The Sea (Sound Effects)
BS4-2656 Sound in Motion (Sound Effects)

then maybe I'll pass (but just maybe)

My music tastes are very diversified. The Spinners is of least interest to me, but I'll still buy it. That goes for all remaining quad possibilities still out there. Well if everything is released and the last remaining bundle is:

BS4-2751 Greenboard South (Railroad Sounds)
BS4-2757 Last Train to Waterloo (Railroad Sounds)
BS4-2788 The Storm & The Sea (Sound Effects)
BS4-2656 Sound in Motion (Sound Effects)

then maybe I'll pass (but just maybe)
The Storm And The Sea was released over 20 years ago on dts CD. I'm happy to have it in my collection.

The Storm And The Sea.jpg

It won't matter at all in the longer run what has been said or framed. Only those folks right now clamoring for soft rock whipping out their visa cards and paypal numbers will help, or maybe not. We will all speak with our dollars.

There have been numerous folks posting here and elsewhere that these last Quadio titles were just simply not to their tastes. And that Seals and Crofts and James Taylor, America and Bread were much more to their liking. They are the ones who "framed" it in such a way "give us these mellower titles" is how I read it. For me it's not either or, I can listen to hard rock and then go and listen to Carly Simon, ZZ Top and then back to James Taylor. But sales and chart action, and what that means in today's numbers does interest me. Yeah, previous sales and chart action vs longevity and sustained interest in a work.

The Spinners material (previously) does not exactly draw me in in a compelling way. But I've never heard it in quad. And the guys around here are saying it's really great in quad. R&B tends to work well in quad I have often noticed. So the quad factor has me interested. It could very well end up being the best of the next batch at least as a quad demo. Catchy music, very strong vocals, hits, and a stellar quad mix... what's not to like here.

(edit) just checked, a deep dive into the home tape vault. I do have the Spinners quad reel captured to 24/96kHz 4-channel digital. A very high quality conversion.

Last edited:
Um, you see, the thing is...............that list of WEA titles that I did for collector purposed years ago is a nice reference for Quadio fans, but you have to understand that many of those titles that would be great, like the Eagles and such, are probably the most difficult to negotiate for Quadio release. The Eagles title have just recently been released by MFSL, so we might be talking more MFSL-Blocking regarding those titles, or other rights related issues. It's not like it hasn't happened before.

Brad Miller would be very upset if he know that his label prevented Audio Fidelity and other labels from releasing true quad masters in exceptional sound quality, but the folks he left here on Earth just have to deal with it.

As for rock, soft rock, soul, jazz, etc. I would bet the driving force behind these next 4 and maybe the next 4 are more based on what they CAN release, as opposed to what they want to release or what type of music it is. Sure, they can pick between good and bad titles, but many are probably not available to pick at all!

The main thing is that stuff IS getting released, and once they are out there, they are out there for good. They may be rare and go for hundreds on eBay someday, but at least they'll be available.

In the meantime, I have to say you all are incredible sleuths and have made fantastic guesses as to what the next 4 will be. You will find out how close you were on September 21st. I would hope there will be a QQ California contingent there for the presentation, and will provide a nice report here in the forum regarding the event - for those of us shut-ins and old farts who don't go anywhere anymore! :cool:

I do prefer rock, but I have a real soft spot for the mellow sounds of the 70's.....it's all good by me. Maybe when Rhino releases the next 4, Dutton will come out same time with some awesome titles.
DV is going to come up with some other gems in quadrasonic sound this fall to complement our good fortune to get 8 Rhino/Warner Quadios making this one of the best if not the best periods ever for 70s quad reissues on modern disc.

DV is going to come us with some other gems in quadrasonic sound this fall to complement our good fortune to get 8 Rhino/Warner Quadios making this one of the best if not the best periods ever for 70s quad reissues on modern disc.
Heck I’d say it’s one of the best if not the best periods for surround ever. We have more classic albums than ever getting surround mixes, we have more reissue programs than ever, and I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but through streaming we have more new and classic albums in surround than ever.

Heck I’d say it’s one of the best if not the best periods for surround ever. We have more classic albums than ever getting surround mixes, we have more reissue programs than ever, and I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but through streaming we have more new and classic albums in surround than ever.
You got that right my man! This is the very first time ( and I've been collecting since the early 2000's) that I'm a bit overwhelmed from all the stuff being released. I would never have believed it could happen.

Indeed, I didn't even mention the last few Santana titles from Sony which were stunners that screamed "Original Master Tapes" mastered with utmost care.

There has been some incredible quad stuff sprinkled out over the years. I think one would have to go back to 2000 or 2001 and count Sony's SACDs (O'Jays, Jeff Beck, Isleys), and some top DTS CDs (Wings, Allman Bros., Ohio Players, Edgar Winter) being rolled out to find a similar number of really good quad titles in a one or two year period to match this here era.

The Eagles title have just recently been released by MFSL, so we might be talking more MFSL-Blocking regarding those titles, or other rights related issues.
Rhino is a subsidiary of Warner, making them first party. There's no licensing involved for the WEA catalogue on Rhino. The recently-granted license to MFSL would have no bearing on what Rhino can and can't release. The only obstacles I can foresee are the band members themselves objecting to a rerelease of the quad mixes, as was apparently the case for Paul Simon and the Bridge Over Troubled Water SACD from Sony Japan (analogous, as Sony owns Columbia).

Rhino is a subsidiary of Warner, making them first party. There's no licensing involved for the WEA catalogue on Rhino. The recently-granted license to MFSL would have no bearing on what Rhino can and can't release. The only obstacles I can foresee are the band members themselves objecting to a rerelease of the quad mixes, as was apparently the case for Paul Simon and the Bridge Over Troubled Water SACD from Sony Japan (analogous, as Sony owns Columbia).

Good point!

The surviving members of the Eagles band are Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit. The band currently consists of these three members and Vince Gill. Glenn Frey, one of the founding members of the band, died in 2016. His son, Deacon Frey, was a part of the band from 2017 until 2022.

Unless RHINO is restrained by MoFi's recent STEREO SACD release of the Eagles catalogue, I'm sure original founding member Don Henley who has been SURROUND FRIENDLY in the past would have NO objections to releasing those two EAGLES QUAD releases.

The surviving members of the Eagles band are Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit. The band currently consists of these three members and Vince Gill. Glenn Frey, one of the founding members of the band, died in 2016. His son, Deacon Frey, was a part of the band from 2017 until 2022.

Unless RHINO is restrained by MoFi's recent STEREO SACD release of the Eagles catalogue, I'm sure original founding member Don Henley who has been SURROUND FRIENDLY in the past would have NO objections to releasing those two EAGLES QUAD releases.
Logical. Hope you’re right. The Eagles are at the top of my list for Quadio releases.

In terms of current membership, yes. There are, however, two living former members in Bernie Leadon and Don Felder. Both appear on both of the two quad releases (On The Border and One of These Nights), while neither Joe Walsh nor Timothy B. Schmit do.
I suspect the approval would have to come from Mr. Henley, Mr. Azoff and the Frey estate.

Back