4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In like Flynn. Guess I'll be still up/up early the 23rd.

BTW anyone that didn't get the Doobies Quadio, it's still available at the Rhino shop.

Correction: Apparently The Doobies is not available now in the Rhino shop, although I saw it there a few days ago. Strange.

Last edited:
I'm in for all four for sure.
Many of us were in for all four even before we knew what the titles were.

If I got only one of my top choice faves out of the four I was going to be happy and just buy them all. And now that I got two of my absolute top choices, I'm in for the next four sight unseen.

I'm trying to stay away from talking about the next batch of four for now, and think about what is coming here now shortly. Count my blessings, and enjoy the now moment.

All four one and one four all...
I hope Rhino UK are selling these eagerly awaited Quads.
Definitely will try to get all four.
I would try and email Rhino UK if they have a web order store set up, and let them know you need them. If a few people do that then the UK division could order a case or two of each title (from the US) for that side of the pond if licensing is not restricted. For Black Sabbath, Warner might have only US rights. Which could mean no international distribution of the title, and no international label can touch Rhino's exclusive quad master as well. It sometimes works both ways. WB must have paid to have the album mixed in quad originally, and so they ended up with ownership of this master. For the other three, pretty sure WMG has them lock, stock, and barrel in all terrestrial territories.

Last edited:
I would try and email Rhino UK if they have a web order store set up, and let them know you need them. If a few people do that then the UK division could order a case or two of each title (from the US) for that side of the pond if licensing is not restricted. For Black Sabbath, Warner might have only US rights. Which could mean no international distribution of the title, and no international label can touch Rhino's exclusive quad master as well. It sometimes works both ways. WB must have paid to have the album mixed in quad originally, and so they ended up with ownership of this master. For the other three, pretty sure WB has them lock, stock, and barrel in all terrestrial territories.
They have this site, which I've used before.

https://shop.thisisdig.com/gb/
But yes, good idea 💡
Thanks for the tip, much appreciated 👍

Paranoid is super exciting as is B$B, even though to be honest I don’t love the album…

I only recently heard a CD-4 rip of Paranoid, anyone else feel that Ozzy’s vocals sound really weird in War Pigs and Paranoid? Maybe it’s just me but I don’t like Mike Butcher’s mixing choices there.

Paranoid is super exciting as is B$B, even though to be honest I don’t love the album…

I only recently heard a CD-4 rip of Paranoid, anyone else feel that Ozzy’s vocals sound really weird in War Pigs and Paranoid? Maybe it’s just me but I don’t like Mike Butcher’s mixing choices there.
Were you listening on four large speakers or were you using bass management and summing the bass to some random area in the listening room? I had the same issue until I got properly set up for quad. I wouldn't change a thing on this mix.

In like Flynn. Guess I'll be still up/up early the 23rd.

BTW anyone that didn't get the Doobies Quadio, it's still available at the Rhino shop.
Though it appears to be, I dont think it is still available there. I went to Rhino & clicked on the various links, it eventually goes to 'We are sorry, but the page you are looking for can't be found'.
Maybe it's just my browser....

Last edited:
I asked Steve about the UK members and their ability to buy directly from the local UK Dig! Store. He is checking into it. Apparently the person who would know was not available on Friday.

I would bet that when he finds out he'll post the answer here in the forum. As far as same day and date availability, that might be a different story, but we'll have to wait and see. Gettin' close folks! :)

Were you listening on four large speakers or were you using bass management and summing the bass to some random area in the listening room? I had the same issue until I got properly set up for quad. I wouldn't change a thing on this mix.
Unfortunately my quad listening is done on my main 5.1 system with satellite speakers for the rears. Not ideal but it’s the best I can accommodate right now space wise.

Be interesting to hear the mix on 4 full range speakers but to me it just sounded like Ozzy was singing from the other room, no presence at all, and he was sitting weirdly somewhere between FR and RR.

Either way I’m stoked to be getting the proper Quad master in 192/24 on Blu-ray, and the stereo mix in high resolution is a nice bonus!

I asked Steve about the UK members and their ability to buy directly from the local UK Dig! Store. He is checking into it. Apparently the person who would know was not available on Friday.

I would bet that when he finds out he'll post the answer here in the forum. As far as same day and date availability, that might be a different story, but we'll have to wait and see. Gettin' close folks! :)
Many thanks Jon. I was going to email 'Dig' on Monday.
But no need now.
Fingers crossed 🤞 we get looked after here in the UK and our friends in Europe.
Ooh the excitement!! :SB

Be interesting to hear the mix on 4 full range speakers but to me it just sounded like Ozzy was singing from the other room, no presence at all, and he was sitting weirdly somewhere between FR and RR.
The first time I heard it I had small rears, and my couch was on the back wall. I was very disappointed. Once I moved to large rears, with room to breathe, the mix came to life. His voice is very nuanced in the mix. It starts in the front and then moves to the back. It is focused, but not in one spot if that makes sense. It works very well for the music.

Unfortunately my quad listening is done on my main 5.1 system with satellite speakers for the rears. Not ideal but it’s the best I can accommodate right now space wise.

Either way I’m stoked to be getting the proper Quad master in 192/24 on Blu-ray, and the stereo mix in high resolution is a nice bonus!
I'll be honest, I've never had that sensation while listening.

The seperation & carrier level controls on a CD-4 demodulator not only affect how much FR signal bleeds into RR and FL into RL, but also the overall volume of each channel. Almost every needledrop I've done from my own collection needed some kind of balance adjustment on the computer, one corner might be 1-2 dB too loud and screw up the phantom imaging.

It's incredibly hard to get the balance dialed in right on the unit itself (at least in my experience, I'm sure someone else who's running CD-4 will chime in and claim otherwise) and the results are never quite perfect - on my setup now the left channels sound almost completely discrete, but the you can hear the front right content playing at like 25% volume in the rear right and it's aggravating. Every cart & demod combination I've tried behaves a little bit differently.

The whole point of this anecdote is that you can't really make conclusions about the overall balance or seperation in a quad mix from listening to a CD-4 decode. It's definitely more accurate than a matrix decode, but the four-channel image can still sometimes sound unstable or watered-down in comparison to the discrete master (be it from an old 8-track/reel or a newer digital transfer).

With regards to the way the vocals sound in the Paranoid quad mix - I do remember there's one track (I think it was "Hand Of Doom"?) where Ozzy's voice is everywhere but with slightly different delays in each corner, so it sounds like there's four copies of him singing all around you.

Back