4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The seperation & carrier level controls on a CD-4 demodulator not only affect how much FR signal bleeds into RR and FL into RL, but also the overall volume of each channel. Almost every needledrop I've done from my own collection needed some kind of balance adjustment on the computer, one corner might be 1-2 dB too loud and screw up the phantom imaging.

It's incredibly hard to get the balance dialed in right on the unit itself (at least in my experience, I'm sure someone else who's running CD-4 will chime in and claim otherwise) and the results are never quite perfect - on my setup now the left channels sound almost completely discrete, but the you can hear the front right content playing at like 25% volume in the rear right and it's aggravating.

The whole point of this anecdote is that you can't really make conclusions about the overall balance or seperation in a quad mix from listening to a CD-4 decode. It's definitely more accurate than a matrix decode, but the four-channel image can still sometimes sound unstable or watered-down in comparison to the discrete master (be it from an old 8-track/reel or a newer digital transfer).

With regards to the way the vocals sound in the Paranoid quad mix - I do remember there's one track (I think it was "Hand Of Doom"?) where Ozzy's voice is everywhere but with slightly different delays in each corner, so it sounds like there's four copies of him singing all around you.
Very informative Jonathan, thank you for this. Of course I’ll be buying it anyway and I’m sure the quad master will sound superb. 🙂

No .

If so that changes it.

@Bill B already showed me the smoking gun that confirms it's B$Bs.
R.c51bcc61b5f9ea45983ecb3e15e30013

No definitely not ZZ TOP.

FWIW F.R. is going to try and locate Tres Hombres ...
( and Fandango should it exist)

Huh. I just saw it there yesterday. Don't know why they would have it listed if not for sale.
Sorry.

You know I saw it available at Amazon. Ca about a week ago...but a quick check shows nothing.
Even if it's no longer available it should still show the set. My guess is that Rhino pulled it ...temporarily.

Paranoid and Billion Dollar Babies are in my personal top 100 albums of all time so I'm thrilled! I'll buy the other two to support Rhino's Quadio endeavors but also to give them a fair chance. Between Must Have Got Lost and Miracles, at least there is a little familiarity for me.
Screenshot_20230610_221854_Chrome.jpg

Paranoid and Billion Dollar Babies are in my personal top 100 albums of all time so I'm thrilled! I'll buy the other two to support Rhino's Quadio endeavors but also to give them a fair chance. Between Must Have Got Lost and Miracles, at least there is a little familiarity for me. View attachment 92587
Ditto here…
Since I am ALWAYS whining about surround discs being locked in bloated, expensive box sets full of stuff I don’t want…I will buy all 4 of these on principle, to support the cause
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

In Like Flint was a late 60’s spy spoof starring James Coburn so, in this case, you’re both right LOL.
Yes of course I know the movie, but I was not quoting from it.
Not sure how I could be wrong as, well never mind. lol.
Glad I wasn't quoting Shakespeare! Rough crowd. :)

Last edited:
I would be in for all 4 of these. Once I saw the "Teaser" up late Thursday I knew what 3 or the 4 were, like many- never guessed the J Geils.

B$B was huge way back when, and I've never had a copy in any format.

Nightmares- I've never heard the LP complete in any format either.

Red Octopus- I've heard a million times, and still say FM Radio killed that with overplay back in 1975(my freshman year at University of Lowell).

Believe it or not- the outlier for me is the Sabbath, as I don't think I've even heard anything from the LP? I might have to find a copy for a listen, but even still- to support the continuance of the program going forward- I'd get all 4.

I've been a buyer of SACD/DVD-A for over 20 yrs now. It going to be a $$ year, as I just got the Moody Blues TOCCC Box, and I'm waiting for my SDE Shop shipment of the 2 APP titles as well as the TYA release.

I'm also waiting for Sony Japan to announce the next title in their Santana 7 inch SACD format release. I'm hoping its Welcome(released October 1973).

Chris

I'm still basking in the afterglow of the very recent Santana and Ten Years After quad releases, and then to hear about these expected Warner titles is just so cool, I still can't believe it.

But yeah, whatever Sony and Dutton come up with next adds up to make this recent period now one of the best ever for vintage surround reissues.

And I have better speakers and amplification at home now than I had only a couple of years back. Timing is perfect!

Back