4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it to be very annoying when I read on some of the quad FB sites that people are complaining about these 4 titles. AYFKM?? What do these people want? These are four great titles, 3 are classic albums with incredible quadraphonic mixes. I know we all have our own tastes and all, but it does no good to anyone to see someone post "I'm not interested" or "I might get one". Fine. Do what you want, but geez, this is a great thing for our hobby and the history. These discs will be saving these mixes forever for fans, some not even born yet
I'm already PSYCHED about the next batch of four QUAD BD~As from RHINO!

But Jon, since you started this forum, you should know full well by now that NO matter what is released in SURROUND, it's the nature of the beast to BM & C! It happened to Audio Fidelity, then Dutton Vocalion and now RHINO.

Just take it all with that proverbial grain of salt! Am certain ALL titles will sell out in RECORD TIME...and will sound SENSATIONAL!

Great set of 4!

I know I'm getting old when the young folks don't know to pronounce Geils with a hard-G. They "must have got lost somewhere down the line". Or got caught in the "Detroit breakdown / Motor City shakedown."

I fondly recall borrowing my brother's vinyl Paranoid to record on the new cassette deck I had saved lots of money for, with Dolby (!) and bias/equalization for chrome tapes. And buying a box of 10 blank BASF chromium dioxide tapes for Paranoid and 17-11-70 (Elton John) and Benefit and Aqualung.

I played Red Octopus over and over when it came out (although to be honest I'd rather be Ride-ing the Tiger). My last Alice Cooper album was Schools Out so I missed B$B (except for the singles) and I am looking forward to it.

Last edited:
I asked Steve about the UK members and their ability to buy directly from the local UK Dig! Store. He is checking into it. Apparently the person who would know was not available on Friday.

I would bet that when he finds out he'll post the answer here in the forum. As far as same day and date availability, that might be a different story, but we'll have to wait and see. Gettin' close folks! :)
Here's the answer I got:
"DIG will have some titles. Canada and Australia store too."
My guess is because of the split rights on Sabbath, it may only be available through the U.S. Store.

So, I'll throw in
1686535315161.png

B$B - No question! IMHO, the last of the great ACG albums. Hopefully, much better than the DVD-A version. I, too, wish that the previous 3 had been done in quad or (a good mix in) 5.1, but since remasters of 'Killer' and 'School's Out' were JUST released on Friday (and it took too many years to happen), it doesn't seem logical that they have any plans for it. 😑
Paranoid - Definitely! Couldn't pass it up, since I have never owned a copy (have always had just a Best Of for Sabbath).
Red Octopus - Pass on this, as I've never been a huge fan of this era of the band, though it's well produced and played (I didn't know Papa John Creach was still with them at this point 👍).
Nightmares - Listened to this and, even though they were an incredible band, most of these songs just didn't engage for me. So no.
Killing Me Softly - 😳 Not seeing the similarities in the fonts...even so, and even with Roberta's beautiful voice, I'd have to pass.

Sorry to not go all in on this round, but I'm hoping to buy more of the next 4 (PLEEEZE 'Machine Head'...and 'Tres Hombres' "somewhere down the line").

I find it to be very annoying when I read on some of the quad FB sites that people are complaining about these 4 titles. AYFKM?? What do these people want? These are four great titles, 3 are classic albums with incredible quadraphonic mixes. I know we all have our own tastes and all, but it does no good to anyone to see someone post "I'm not interested" or "I might get one". Fine. Do what you want, but geez, this is a great thing for our hobby and the history. These discs will be saving these mixes forever for fans, some not even born yet
Well, it's good that they are talking about them because it then gets noticed by others who know a white hot classic when they see and hear it, and WILL want to know what the fuss is all about.. The one's that bug me are those that drop in to say that the idea of listening in surround just bugs them, and that "stereo" is what music should always be, it just should. Or that music should come from in front of you and not around you. Old crusty crab apples, stuck in their easy chairs.

B$B - One of the main albums of a certain period of my youth, I've always been able to find new things in the production to hear, and the quad mix offers up (differences) yet even more of those sometimes not so subtle "new" elements to enjoy. This album lends itself to surround being a more complex production than the previous three classic Cooper albums. The three hits on this album are not over-played by radio, thus they still remain exciting fun, and just fantastic listening. A few of the deeper cuts have even stronger appeal. It's an "audiophile" record, and not just a teenage screamer..
Paranoid - I've owned least six copies of this album over the years. The quad has been my favorite even when playing in stereo folded down. I'm very curious if the new mastering will sound like the CD-4 LP which is so unique, I think it will. Another teenage "rite of passage" for so many that its no wonder that it has sold something like 12 million copies worldwide.
Red Octopus - A very tight band, their commercial comeback album sounded so perfect for the times in '75, and sounds just right next to the other titles in this batch of Quadio releases. After hearing the Alice album (which can feel in parts - like you poked your finger in a light socket), and the total metallic doom of Sabbath, This Jefferson Starship disc has more organic and acoustic relaxed feel. It rounds things out very well.
Nightmares - This J. Geils Band album mixed in quad shows off the production efforts in a different way that the stereo mixes of their albums can't really do. There are times when a quad mix could separate things too much and the cohesiveness of the finished tunes can be lost. This album has plenty enough going on in the musicianship and tracking of the material - so it's stays fun and entertaining yet not exactly lightweight either.

This is why I think this set of Quadio releases features a nicely balanced set of rock albums. They succeed as music programs first, and as great surround albums in addition to that.

Stoked for Paranoid. Already have the Alice Cooper album on DVDA. It's Ok. Not as familiar with the other titles. Still, I'll pick this up if the price is right.
This is why I am excited about the Alice Cooper in quad - the DVD-A is just ok. The master tapes of all of these 1972 - 1976 quad albums have proven to be in excellent shape, I mean the ones that are not lost. They are not at all worn out from over-use. And they tend to be first generation masters nearly all of the time.

It's like the Billy Cobham 5.1 on DVD-A, it is a weak affair next to its quadraphonic '70s mix. It is the same deal with this album, it didn't need a new mix, and they had the real deal - nearly perfection right there in the vaults already.

Last edited:
Here's the answer I got:
"DIG will have some titles. Canada and Australia store too."
My guess is because of the split rights on Sabbath, it may only be available through the U.S. Store.
Thanks for the update. Can anyone enlighten me on the Australian store? It's that a DIG store, Rhino store or something else?

Well, it's good that they are talking about them because it then gets noticed by others who know a white hot classic when they see and hear it, and WILL want to know what the fuss is all about.. The one's that bug me are those that drop in to say that the idea of listening in surround just bugs them, and that "stereo" is what music should always be, it just should. Or that music should come from in front of you and not around you. Old crusty crab apples, stuck in their easy chairs.
Very well said quicksrt, I couldn't agree more with your comments!
Anyone who says they prefer stereo over a well setup surround system & good source material (like Rhino Quadio):
Has either A: never heard a good one or
B: Is just talking stupid & is without a clue!🙄...

Last edited:
Back