4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll buy all 4.

I’m anxious to hear “Red Octopus”. I really liked that album at the time but haven’t played it since the 70s. Wonder how it will have aged for me and what the memories will be?

B$B is the other one I owned. Loved it at the time but I picked up the 5.1 a few years back and it didn’t work for me. Better album when I was a 12 year old boy I think.

Never been a Sabbath fan—especially with Ozzy. But it’s a classic album and I probably should own a copy. Who knows? Maybe it will strike a good nerve.

A moderate J. Geils fan and own several of their albums but not this one. Never heard it other than the hit. Looking forward to it.

As to how fast we get these (keeping in mind they’re probably dealing with unorganized 50 odd year tapes) and since we know they’re relatively cheap prices; I’ll say it’s in the deep purple phase…

otherwise :unsure:

1686668057912.jpeg

Apologies for all the posts I've yet to read in this thread.

Grunt masters are a cornucopia of Quad. Anxious to rebuy any/all.

1- Red Octopus Lots of great tracks & genres: Show Yourself, Fast Buck, Git Fiddler, etc. Group founder Balin was back w/Miracles, my #2 song of all time (Beginnings, another Quadio is my #1) Fantastic background vocals, most of which were edited out on the single version. OK, all you model Airplane/Starship builders, Balin guested on Dragon Fly. CD-4 was my first and most played copy. I bought that the day it hit the street, two weeks after 2ch dropped. OK, the Quad mix is very good. Why not, it's more than enough different tracks of great talent. Bought this on CD-4, CD, and remastered CD. Did not buy the Gold CD. In my 100 fave albums and 10 fave and most played Quads. YOU NEED IT!

2- Nightmares Big fan of J. Geils. Near complete. Of their early albums, this might be my least favorite. Must Have Got Lost got airplay here. Bought CD-4 as a new release. Bought CD too as a new (re)release. Near complete on Geils, complete on Atlantic era. Will order, though I should listen more before any further critique. A definite buy.

3- Billion $ - s/b a no brainer, yet, I'm on the fence. Perhaps band's finest hour. No More Mr. Clean or Under My Wheels (not here) are my fave AC tracks. So why on the fence? I bought CD-4, CD, DVD-A, and have 2 CD expanded on order. Ergo, do I really need this? It is ESSENTIAL if you don't own it in surround.

4- Paranoid probably not. What? Never bought this album at all. Do I hate them? They're good. No, it's just Miles, Mahvishnu and Santana were how I spent my $$ when this was released. We do have some of their stuff and Ozzy's. Joe's the big fan of Sabbath. A definite maybe.

We are so lucky to be able to have these choices to make.

There will be 4 more planned releases and if we are lucky 4 more after that.
I am somewhat pessimistic that sales will be enough to keep this program going. Beyond us at QQ I dont know how much demand there is out there.
Think of your friends that are very much into music who arent on this forum. How many of them are interested in surround?

DV is smart appealing to their customer base with hybrid layers that feature stereo. Perhaps rhino should advertise these as high resolution stereo or alternate stereo mixes with an included quad layer.

These discs tend to completely sell out their runs. It takes a couple of years or a little more, but they do sell them all off without having to drill holes in the barcodes and have them dumped at the Dollar Tree chain priced at a buck a piece mixed in with the DVDs. Speaking of third party sellers, has anyone looked at what the used market charges for out of print 4.0 quad discs? These quad or 4.0 format surround discs are obviously a niche market within the audiophile niche market - they have value that holds up well. $80 to $100 a pop is not unheard of. 3x original retail price is quite common.

Some folks don't hear about these at the time they are being sold, and only find out about a title when they are all sold out, and they then totally freak out having missed Alice Cooper & Black Sabbath in surround - it can be very distressing to them. Or they snoozed on the big Chicago box, and now it's too high priced, they are completely shut out.

I am somewhat pessimistic that sales will be enough to keep this program going. Beyond us at QQ I dont know how much demand there is out there.
Think of your friends that are very much into music who arent on this forum. How many of them are interested in surround?

DV is smart appealing to their customer base with hybrid layers that feature stereo. Perhaps rhino should advertise these as high resolution stereo or alternate stereo mixes with an included quad layer.

That's my overall feeling too. I'd love to be wrong on that. The only thing that should give us hope is that both the Chicago and Doobie Bros Quadio sets sold out. So if Rhino's expectation is to match those numbers, then maybe things will work out better than we fear.

That's my overall feeling too. I'd love to be wrong on that. The only thing that should give us hope is that both the Chicago and Doobie Bros Quadio sets sold out. So if Rhino's expectation is to match those numbers, then maybe things will work out better than we fear.
Since Rhino is doing Blu-ray, I can confidently say they expect more than the QQ audience to buy. If they were expecting only QQ to buy, SACD would have been the route. Unless they're planning to tank the losses, which obviously is not the case.

There are also folks who just want a quality transfer of the original stereo. 24 bit - 196 kHz is the best version of a title one is ever likely to be able buy. At least for now. Also, people on other music forum’s are coming to these titles from, perhaps, a slightly different perspective, but they are buying titles.

Folks with home theater systems will want to check out the surround layer after listening to the stereo. When you combine iconic music with a great surround mix, you get the opportunity for more people to find an interest in Quadraphonic music. 5000 copies of “Tubular Bells” sold and shipped within a period of months is saying something. And “Ten Years After” sold out 1000 copies in about a day. Fortunately, another run was done.

Wonder if we'll ever get these FOUR titles which were announced for DVD~A but never released like STEPHEN STILLS, CSNY/DEJA VU and Neil Young's After the Gold Rush?

I'm sure there are many unreleased surprises lurking in those WEA vaults!

R.76678c8965e334b1885316f86377c072

edit: I had pre~ordered Stephen Stills [CD + MLP DVD~A 5.1] from AmazonUK a few years ago but then it was canceled!

Back