4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sabbath, Cooper, Starship & Geils, in that order!

Which pretty much follows the logical fold.

It's a shame about the tax and fee situation in Europe. I mean, we could group buy a bunch and send them over as gifts, but the last time I shipped an SACD to Europe it cost around $30!! Kind of defeats the purpose

It's a shame about the tax and fee situation in Europe. I mean, we could group buy a bunch and send them over as gifts, but the last time I shipped an SACD to Europe it cost around $30!! Kind of defeats the purpose
Which is why I always try to check out Germany's jpc.de. Not only do they remove the VAT but their s/h charges are ridiculously minimal! And tired of paying CDJapan's equally obnoxious $30 DHL s/h charges. Not to mention the added expenses of their 'Proxy' service!

Can you imagine that you waited and then got an error message, “the title you are attempting to order is out of stock, please check back soon” and word comes down that it should be back in stock in less than two weeks!!!!!
Haha! That would be a refreshing out of stock wait time! But thankfully I didn’t get an out of stock message at noon PST and my bundle purchase went off without a hitch.

There are 3rd party distributers who are going to jump in on this action and make a quick bundle I'm pretty sure. The fewer titles that get cleared for takeoff in EU countries, the better the field day is for these wheeler-dealers. I won't mention any names or album titles, but... well never mind.

Haha! That would be a refreshing out of stock wait time! But thankfully I didn’t get an out of stock message at noon PST and my bundle purchase went off without a hitch.
That "out of stock wait" time is never accurate, you didn't really think so for one minute did you.

I wonder if Rhino would consider (Sansui) QS quad matrix encoding the discrete quad content for the stereo segment - since the stereo mixes have already been for sale for about 1/2 century.

Using the QS matrix to encode the discrete quad for stereo would make the quad content available to listeners without surround sound systems (QS can be partially decoded with the Hafler/DynaQuad passive scheme, no additional amplifier/decoder/multiple speakers needed, just 1 speaker and some wire).

@ForagingRhino - QS encoding for the stereo segment on future Quadios?

If there's a problem using the letters "QS" (was/may still be a Sansui TM), it could also be called "RM" for regular matrix (which was a popular thing to do - QS called RM - by several major quad hardware makers back in the quad era of the 1970s).

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Rhino's order form needs some tweaking. They want credit card numbers to be entered without any spacing between number groups, I had auto-fill switched off and every attempt I made to enter the number resulted in the grouped numbers, which were rejected. Every other site I order from will accept the grouped numbers, in fact, that seems to be the standard. I had to use my Paypal account.

I wonder if Rhino would consider (Sansui) QS quad matrix encoding the discrete quad content for the stereo segment - since the stereo mixes have already been for sale for about 1/2 century.

Using the QS matrix to encode the discrete quad for stereo would make the quad content available to listeners without surround sound systems (QS can be partially decoded with the Hafler/DynaQuad passive scheme, no additional amplifier/decoder/multiple speakers needed, just 1 speaker and some wire).

@ForagingRhino - QS encoding for the stereo segment on future Quadios?

If there's a problem using the letters "QS" (was/may still be a Sansui TM), it could also be called "RM" for regular matrix (which was a popular thing to do - QS called RM - by several major quad hardware makers back in the quad era of the 1970s).

Kirk Bayne
Is this now standard on modern AVRs?

Rhino's order form needs some tweaking. They want credit card numbers to be entered without any spacing between number groups...
I never put spaces between number groups when entering a credit card number. Why would you bother? I wouldn't call that a problem with Rhino's website.

I know no one needs their arm twisted to buy any of these discs, but I did want to say what I always say when D-V puts out new releases - if you like the concept and want more, vote with your wallet, even if that means just buying one and taking a chance on an album you don't know all that well.
Bought them all without hesitation. Kudos to Rhino for putting out a bundle price too.

Is this now standard on modern AVRs?

Not that I know of, QS/RM can be decoded fairly well with the older Dolby Pro-Logic 2 music mode (IIRC, not on AVRs since ~2014).

The passive speaker matrix QS/RM (partial) decoder can be used on most AVRs (set AVR to stereo mode and connect a speaker using the Hafler/DynaQuad method [documented elsewhere]).

Anyway, I think it could be another selling point for Quadios - "Hear the quad mix on your stereo [no decoder required]*".

*the quad mix will appear as stereo [see details for more listening options]

(details [maybe onscreen & in the booklet] would explain about using various decoding methods - passive, old school quad hardware, new AVRs etc.)

Kirk Bayne

Not that I know of, QS/RM can be decoded fairly well with the older Dolby Pro-Logic 2 music mode (IIRC, not on AVRs since ~2014).

The passive speaker matrix QS/RM (partial) decoder can be used on most AVRs (set AVR to stereo mode and connect a speaker using the Hafler/DynaQuad method [documented elsewhere]).

Anyway, I think it could be another selling point for Quadios - "Hear the quad mix on your stereo [no decoder required]*".

*the quad mix will appear as stereo [see details for more listening options]

(details [maybe onscreen & in the booklet] would explain about using various decoding methods - passive, old school quad hardware, new AVRs etc.)

Kirk Bayne
We've fought for 30 to 50 years to get discreet quad to play discreetly and in acceptable quality in our homes. A very long rocky road from DTS CDs, DVD-A, SACD, DVD-V, and to BluRay.

The discrete quad mix would still be there (DTS) on the Quadios, but the stereo mix would be replaced with a matrix encoded version of the discrete quad mix, nothing would be lost, but the stereo mix would contain something unique - a way to hear the quad mix on a regular stereo system.

I've been pro-MCH since 1971, with digital audio, the industry could have agreed on one system for MCH, but...they had to have their format wars...(sad).

Kirk Bayne

I really hesitated on pulling the trigger to purchase the bundle. Paranoid is a classic, but the other three are mixed bags for me, and I've really tried hard the last year or two to reduce my purchases of discs that I'm not flat-out thrilled about (I was unable to resist a number of the recent SDE Surround Series Blu-rays though).

Then I reviewed this thread a bit and found the discount code CC22SLA15WMG (thanks!) which effectively made shipping free, and using the rationalization that my birthday is next month, I went for it (had to use Safari instead of Chrome on my Mac for the BUY NOW button to actually work, another tip I found in this thread, thanks again!). I'll be enjoying that addictive anticipation of receiving it (hope it doesn't actually take until my birthday!), until the credit card bill comes due.

And the moral of this story is: keep the Quadios coming, Rhino! They are hard to resist.

Regarding imports into the UK for the 4 disc bundle. I don't want to derail the thread but I'm putting this info up to hopefully make people feel better. If I've got anything wrong of course please correct me.

Import duty: This is only payable if the value is over £135. So not a problem for an $80 bundle.

VAT: This is not an extra tax, it is what we would be paying if we bought in this country. So it should be 20% of the package value, so presumably 20% of $80. So not a problem. (I'm assuming that the $79.99 US price is in effect the pre-tax price, so we are not paying US tax - maybe I've got that wrong.)

Shipping: It's not cheap, but when I saw that within the US people were paying $11.99, for us to pay $15.99 seemed like a bargain. So not a problem.

Fee: This will be £8 charged by Royal Mail for collecting the VAT. This is where it gets slightly annoying. I get the impression from the Government and Royal Mail website that there should be no choice in this; if a company is selling to the UK they are meant to be charging VAT at the point of sale for consignments under £135. Both their websites are pretty simple and clear on what should be happening and neither mention anything like, "...if the company has signed up to the scheme." So it does seem like it is Rhino's 'fault'. However, Rhino ought to know more about this than me, and I have already bought the discs from them and praised them for the many good things, which I think far outweigh this problem.

VAT and overseas goods sold directly to customers in the UK "Consignments of goods with a value of £135 or less that are outside the UK and sold directly to customers (not through an online marketplace) in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) will have UK supply VAT charged at the point of sale"

Help with customs fees and the Fee to pay card
"VAT on items under £135 (with the exception of gifts) will now be collected directly at the point of sale."

Given that it was a good bundle deal and there was a voucher code, even with the extra £8 fee it's quite possible that it was cheaper to buy the discs from the States than from the UK. I would have left it to see if they appear on Amazon but when I heard that Paranoid won't be available and it's unlikely that J Geils will be (seeing as Dig aren't taking it) I went for the Rhino US option. I hope they do become available on Amazon UK. It will make it easier in the future and probably cheaper. (I got the Doobies box, new, direct from Amazon, for £36, which is a hell of a deal for 4 Quadios.)

Worth remembering that if these were SDE releases they would be £23 pounds £5 postage each so the discs are cheaper than that as well.

The only thing that worries me is that you see stories of people being charged incorrect amounts. As long as Rhino have stated the correct package value, it should be Ok.

So… it would be great if Rhino set up foreign tax paying but for this instance the fee has been mitigated by the bundle and voucher code. As I said in an earlier post, I don't think it would be technically much work but they probably just don't want the admin of constantly checking they have the correct sales tax rates for foreign countries, especially if there are tiers or limits as per the UK.

Roll on the next batch!

Update: Edited to change "make people better" to "make people feel better" 😀

Last edited:
I only want AC and BS, if I get them from Rhino it will cost me £62 including everything, if I buy AC from dig it’s £20 plus p&p, i’ll have to take my chances and hope that BS becomes available on amazon or somewhere in the UK

I know this is very, very late in this game, but DVDs can have DD 4.0 + DTS 4.0 + stereo PCM, just wondering why Blu-ray was chosen as the optical disc format (seems like a 'Quadio' DVD could contain the same soundtracks as a 'Quadio' Blu-ray, yet not be as fragile)?

Kirk Bayne
Not an authority here, but Mark Waldrep (Dr. AIX), who has authored dozens of 24/96k DVDs, has noted that the bandwidth of DVD-As won’t handle five uncompressed channels, so he used MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) to make them work.

I never put spaces between number groups when entering a credit card number. Why would you bother? I wouldn't call that a problem with Rhino's website.
Well I notice that Autofill will often follow the format that the site uses. Not sure why the disparity between sites, or if it's a browser thing, but many times I see the spaces added. IDK.

Back