4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first Black Sabbath purchase ever. 🤣
Funny thing, same here, at least in digital form. I have the Quad record. But I preferred the vibe of Led Zeppelin over BS in the 70s. I liked listening to their music, but I just heard BS records at different friends homes or someone’s tape they had in the car or on the radio. I had many chances to see them live, but didn’t bother or the stars didn’t align.

I was able to see Ozzy when he first went solo and had guitarist Randy Rhoads about 42 years ago in Oakland, California:
Day On The Green #1: Heart, Blue Ă–yster Cult, Pat Travers, Loverboy, Ozzy Osbourne, 415 (July 4, 1981). Sadly, Randy Rhoads passed away about 7 months later.

Black Sabbath is one of those bands that keeps getting rediscovered over the decades. I remember in the 80s Goth Punks, Speed Metal and even Hardcore Punks (some of them) all embraced them because they struck a chord with music fans. If you listen to the song “Paranoid,“ you have the makings of a million guitar riffs for Punk and Metal songs.

You can't do it yourself? We suppose to do it and all my friends pay what computer calculates. I thick a box "A gift from a friend" and pay nothing. If you asked courier to do it, they take around 10 euros.
Sadly not, with Royal Mail they tell us you owe this much and you need to pay before they deliver, with DHL/FedEx its usually an invoice sent after delivery, you still pay their fee.

BS, AC, JS, JGB. My tastes mirror the tastes of most as evidenced by the sales numbers Foraging Rhino indicated.
There is a chance the BS disc will be listened to several times before I move on to the others. Black Sabbath is in my top 10 all time bands (with Beatles, Floyd, Zep, Rush, Yes, Hendrix, Stones, etc.).
Agreed on this ordering! Same as me.

J Geils was a real popular uptempo blues rock band in the 70s and 80s. They excelled best as a hard rocking live group. I first saw them at a 4th of July concert at the Oakland, California Colosseum, with this lineup 44 years ago:

Day On The Green #2: Journey, The J. Geils Band, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Nazareth, The Rockets (July 4, 1979)

One of the songs from this Quadio reached No 12 on the charts and was a big hit on the radio.
From Wikipedia:
Their biggest hits included "Must of Got Lost" (No. 12 in 1975)

It also has "Detroit Breakdown” which is great. I also saw them as one of the opening acts for The Rolling Stones 1981 “Tattoo You” tour. So, hell yeah I’m looking forward to this title as much as I am for the other ones. I appreciate everyone who bought the title even though it’s understandable many folks may not be familiar with them. Somehow they “Must of Got Lost” to history. But because of all of you, and all those who worked hard to get these out, we can be proud that the music is saved for all time. And we get to hear it all in 24/196! Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmares...and_Other_Tales_from_the_Vinyl_Jungle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_J._Geils_Band

If you grew up in the Boston area in the 70s, Aerosmith and J. Geils Band were the biggest and best local bands, and 104.1 WBCN was the best place on the dial. Great times. I'm really happy to see this one chosen in the first batch...

Dig! is the WMG UK store, but they only have 2 out of 4 of these titles.
Stupid in this day and age that I can order 4 titles directly from the US but only 2 from the UK equivalent store. You have to love licensing.

Very grateful however that these are being released and thank to foraging rhino for the Quad related work.

J geils band = one hit wonders (Centerfold), I tend to agree
Think I can name 2 Starship songs
Again I tend to agree
'Centerfold' may have been from their height of popularity in the 80s, but most definitely not the height of their creativity - and they could never accurately be called one hit wonders. Far from it...

'Centerfold' may have been from their height of popularity in the 80s, but most definitely not the height of their creativity - and they could never accurately be called one hit wonders. Far from it...
There was a thread here devoted to One Hit Wonder Day (yeah, I never heard of it either), but one of the things that was evident was that the "one hit wonder" designation was highly dependent on your geographic location.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/one-hit-wonder-day.31196/

The J. Geils Band were not one hit wonders. They had at least 7 Top 40 Hits in the US (and best selling albums). From Wikipedia:

“The band first released several Top 40 singles in the early 1970s, including a cover of the song "Lookin' for a Love" by The Valentinos (which reached No. 39 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1972), as well as the single "Give It to Me" (No. 30 in 1973). Their biggest hits included "Must of Got Lost" (No. 12 in 1975), "Come Back" (No. 32 in 1980), "Love Stinks" (which reached No. 38 in 1980 and was featured in several films), "Centerfold" (No. 1 in 1982), and "Freeze-Frame" (No. 4 in 1982).”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_J._Geils_Band
About a year after their Quad record came out, they put out a double Live album “Blow Your Face Out.” Here’s a live version of “Detroit Breakdown.”

Who else is after these for the stereo? The only “Paranoid” I own is in the old Castle mini LP replica box. The only digital I have of “Red Octopus” is an old RCA US CD, and I have never really been overjoyed with the sonics of that, so I am looking forward to the stereo remaster of that as well.

Who else is after these for the stereo? The only “Paranoid” I own is in the old Castle mini LP replica box. The only digital I have of “Red Octopus” is an old RCA US CD, and I have never really been overjoyed with the sonics of that, so I am looking forward to the stereo remaster of that as well.

Of course we all listen to Stereo music. A lot of us remember when Mono was the format, and stereo was an odd new thing. In the late 70s, we put cassette decks in our cars so we could get FM stereo and play cassette tapes. What I remember about all those FM/Cassette decks, is that they all came equipped with the ability to have stereo front and back speakers.

There was a time in the late 2000s when we were disappointed that surround wasn’t considered for new title, when a DVD-A or SACD could easily fit a surround option. Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On” has a great, holy grail Quad mix. But it wasn’t included, unfortunately, when it was released on SACD. But that’s all water under the bridge now. We need to all work together so that everyone can get what they want. So, no worries.

This will be the first time these titles will be released in both Stereo and Quadraphonic in 24/196 High resolution. And in the case with the Quad section, first time digital presentation from the original Quad tapes. Imagine if stereo had been ignored this way? This is why getting Quadraphonic releases are important. So that all analog formats are safely preserved. And we can buy and hear the music in the best possible way.

Funny thing, same here, at least in digital form. I have the Quad record. But I preferred the vibe of Led Zeppelin over BS in the 70s. I liked listening to their music, but I just heard BS records at different friends homes or someone’s tape they had in the car or on the radio. I had many chances to see them live, but didn’t bother or the stars didn’t align.

I was able to see Ozzy when he first went solo and had guitarist Randy Rhoads about 42 years ago in Oakland, California:
Day On The Green #1: Heart, Blue Ă–yster Cult, Pat Travers, Loverboy, Ozzy Osbourne, 415 (July 4, 1981). Sadly, Randy Rhoads passed away about 7 months later.

Black Sabbath is one of those bands that keeps getting rediscovered over the decades. I remember in the 80s Goth Punks, Speed Metal and even Hardcore Punks (some of them) all embraced them because they struck a chord with music fans. If you listen to the song “Paranoid,“ you have the makings of a million Punk and Metal riffs for songs.
My high school mid-America 1981, some guy, lets call him"Steve" "Perrin" , had a car in the middle of restoration and he painted on the back of the trunk: "Perrin-oid". True story!

Deep Purple - Machine Head
Deep Purple - Burn or Stormbringer
ZZ Top
Joni Mitchell - Court or Jackson Browne

or

Randy Newman - Sail Away or Good Old Boys (no two-fers here)
Bread or America
Joni or Jackson (attempt again)
Gordon Lightfoot (two-fer) or Seals and Crofts (two-fer)

or

Modern Jazz Quartet - Last Concert
Joni Mitchell - Hissing
Billy Cobham
Mingus or Gil Evans

No really, can you imagine if the next batch were three (3) Deep Purple albums and a ZZ Top Tres Hombres as a four pack QUADIO bundle?!?!?!
How would that be for the young but old rocker in you?
I am not a jazz aficionado…but Milt Jackson is astonishing to my ears…an MJQ release in Quad would be amazing 🤩

I am not a jazz aficionado…but Milt Jackson is astonishing to my ears…an MJQ release in Quad would be amazing 🤩
Indeed, I'd be equally thrilled with the studio album from MJQ that also was mixed in quad. The Last Concert album is a double with beautiful sound in stereo. I am not really sure how the quad mix sounds? Maybe someone can chime in on that one.

Here is the other alternate choice when and if they get to any of the Quadio jazz titles.
https://www.discogs.com/release/11618591-The-Modern-Jazz-Quartet-Blues-On-Bach(side note) Unfortunately, Gene Paul who did the quad mix has no other quadraphonic mixing credits that i could find (other than MJQ "The Last Concert"). He has engineering credits alongside Tom Dowd's producing and mixing, so this studio effort from the MJQ could be (along with the concert album) a total bust in quad.

Indeed, I'd be equally thrilled with the studio album from MJQ that also was mixed in quad. The Last Concert album is a double with beautiful sound in stereo. I am not really sure how the quad mix sounds? Maybe someone can chime in on that one.

Here is the other alternate choice when and if they get to any of the Quadio jazz titles.
https://www.discogs.com/release/11618591-The-Modern-Jazz-Quartet-Blues-On-Bach(side note) Unfortunately, Gene Paul who did the quad mix has no other quadraphonic mixing credits that i could find (other than MJQ "The Last Concert"). He has engineering credits alongside Tom Dowd's producing and mixing, so this studio effort from the MJQ could be (along with the concert album) a total bust in quad.

Gene Paul did the quad mixes of the eponymous Average White Band Album, Aretha's Live at Fillmore West (one of my favourite live quad mixes) and the MJQ Blues on Bach album - all great, active quad mixes. He's also Les Paul's son, not that it makes his quad bona fides any more legit, but still cool nevertheless. Hey may have done other quad mixes for the WEA family but they're unknown for the time being as only Atlantic Records (and their subsidiaries) explicitly credited quad remix engineers.

Digging around deep into the Warner catalog discography of quadraphonic releases. There are quite a few interesting titles. I'd love to see at least 20 more discs released from the selected titles on list below. I left out some titles like the Eagles quads, and some other stellar artists who might not be able to move as many units at this time. And these "two-fer" and "three-fer" comps provide more hits and more albums reissued where there might be many fewer released titles if they had to be stand alones.
What do you think about these choice picks?

Deep Purple - Machine Head
Deep Purple - Burn or Stormbringer or both
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
Joni Mitchell - Court or Jackson Browne - Late for The Sky

or

Bread - Baby I'm-a Want You or America - Holiday
Joni M or Jackson B (attempt again)
Gordon Lightfoot (two-fer) or Seals and Crofts (two-fer, or a Quad "Best of S & C" comp)
Bette Midler - The Divine Miss M
Joni Mitchell - Hissing of the Summer Lawns

or

Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Mingus Moves
Modern Jazz Quartet - Last Concert
Modern Jazz Quartet - Plastic Dreams / Blues on Bach (two-fer)
Gil Evans - Svengali
Duke Ellington - New Orleans Suite
Herbie Mann - (two-fer, or three-fer?)

or

and then R&B / Soul / Vocals

Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly
Graham Central Station (two-fer)
Average White Band
Spinners (two-fer, or three-fer)
Donny Hathaway - Extension of a Man

alternates:

James Taylor - Gorilla
Carly Simon - (two-fer)
Jefferson Starship (two-fer)
David Gates (two-fer)
James Gang - Miami
Souther, Hillman, Fury Band - (two-fer)

Last edited:
I never put spaces between number groups when entering a credit card number. Why would you bother? I wouldn't call that a problem with Rhino's website.
The problem is that Rhino's site would not allow me to enter the credit card number without spaces. You might read my post again.

Digging around deep into the Warner catalog discography of quadraphonic releases. There are quite a few interesting titles. I'd love to see at least 20 more discs released from the selected titles on list below. I left out some titles like the Eagles quads, and some other stellar artists who might not be able to move as many units at this time. And these "two-fer" and "three-fer" comps provide more hits and more albums reissued where there might be many fewer released titles if they had to be stand alones.
What do you think about these choice picks?

I wouldn't want to choose between either, ...I love them both and would love to see them released on Blu-ray. For my other two picks; ZZ-Top, James Taylor

The problem is that Rhino's site would not allow me to enter the credit card number without spaces. You might read my post again.
Not a problem with the Rhino site. You're the only one to have reported this issue. Sounds like a problem on your end, not theirs.

Back