4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered 2 sets. Probably should have ordered 3 or 4. This is an insane value.
And the start of something huge, my senses tell me.

Expect extensive Life in Surround coverage.

Bring it on.

@ForagingRhino
I bought three sets to make money from these one day in a future. As many are doing with Chicago set which I don't have and probably won't never buy (unless Rhino repress it).

Not that I know of, QS/RM can be decoded fairly well with the older Dolby Pro-Logic 2 music mode (IIRC, not on AVRs since ~2014).

The passive speaker matrix QS/RM (partial) decoder can be used on most AVRs (set AVR to stereo mode and connect a speaker using the Hafler/DynaQuad method [documented elsewhere]).

Anyway, I think it could be another selling point for Quadios - "Hear the quad mix on your stereo [no decoder required]*".

*the quad mix will appear as stereo [see details for more listening options]

(details [maybe onscreen & in the booklet] would explain about using various decoding methods - passive, old school quad hardware, new AVRs etc.)

Kirk Bayne
Using the Hafler circuit COULD work, but the result will not be anywhere close to the quad mix. Using the stereo mode on the receiver, but keeping the player's output in multichannel, could result in a complete loss of the rear channels. Having both the player and receiver in the stereo mode, the receiver's output would be from the 2-channel mix, which is not matrix-encoded. Playing QS/RM through a Hafler circuit would result in a surround effect, but not necessarily close to what was intended.

I wouldn't want to choose between either, ...I love them both and would love to see them released on Blu-ray. For my other two picks; ZZ-Top, James Taylor
I'm a big fan of those two Randy Newman albums. I think that they are both his very best 70s albums. I certainly hope we get the two of them.

Last edited:
I've not seen any reference to that either. Doesn't seem logical.
It says it in the FAQs about shipping but that I guess is in general and I dont know if it applies to all orders because the shipping rate for international deliveries is not accurate

I'm guessing the 10 day deal is just a CYA move to keep people from contacting them with "why hasn't my order been shipped yet" inquiries. Of course if they got 3000 orders for these Quadios over the weekend, they can't all be packaged and shipped instantly. I am also guessing their normal staff is built for normal demand so, unless they regularly get spikes in orders like these Quadio discs, it could take most of this week to catch up.

I bought three sets to make money from these one day in a future. As many are doing with Chicago set which I don't have and probably won't never buy (unless Rhino repress it).

I would love to see that reissued. When it was released, I was in a bad place financially and just couldn't justify the investment. Now, I still can't justify paying $5-600 for the set, but if it were available for a more reasonable price I'd be all over it.

If you grew up in the Boston area in the 70s, Aerosmith and J. Geils Band were the biggest and best local bands, and 104.1 WBCN was the best place on the dial. Great times. I'm really happy to see this one chosen in the first batch...
I lived in Central Mass(Fitchburg), and having 104.5 broadcasting local- with my POS stereo at the time- I could not receive WBCN. Way back then 1.4.5 was County, and went off the air at 1AM. One night I stayed up till then - just to hear BCN, and the first song I heard was No More Mr Nice Guy!

Once I got a better receiver I could actually listen to BCN. Gotta agree- Aerosmith and J Geils got lots of airplay.

Chris

I have still not received an e-mail confirming my order (Friday). I didn't record the order number because the site said I would be receiving one, so I can't even place an inquiry. Maybe Foraging Rhino could give me some advice. If my order wasn't received I will just place another one, but it looks like my VISA card has been charged. All I need to know is if the order was received, but an order confirmation with the order number would be nice.

I've not seen any reference to that either. Doesn't seem logical.
I actually checked my mail on Sat thinking that just maybe it went out on Friday and only took one day. Silly me. But I do expect them to arrive this week, like Weds, Thurs maybe. We'll see. But it's going to be soon we know that.

To try to stay kinda on topic...my last post here about using a quad/surround sound matrix to encode the Quadio quad content for the included stereo section - if a person just has a stereo soundbar (probably with their TV) and a Blu-ray player, they could hear the unique quad mix (in stereo of course) without buying any new audio hardware.

Kirk Bayne

I actually checked my mail on Sat thinking that just maybe it went out on Friday and only took one day. Silly me. But I do expect them to arrive this week, like Weds, Thurs maybe. We'll see. But it's going to be soon we know that.

As others have said, it is in the FAQ

https://rhinostoresupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/10416919362829-How-soon-will-my-order-ship-
I did get my order confirmation within minutes of placing my order but have not got a shipping notification yet. The suspense is killing me because I haven't been as excited about a new release of old music since the 5.1 Blu-Ray of Animals...

To try to stay kinda on topic...my last post here about using a quad/surround sound matrix to encode the Quadio quad content for the included stereo section - if a person just has a stereo soundbar (probably with their TV) and a Blu-ray player, they could hear the unique quad mix (in stereo of course) without buying any new audio hardware.

Kirk Bayne

An Oppo blu-ray player would do that for you, if you set the output to stereo, how much different it would sound from the stereo mix I don't know. Seemingly so does my Denon AVR.

I'm actually doing something similar in my quad system (well, was, before I moved everything around and then didn't set it back up again) - was using an Oppo BDP-103D and later a UDP-105 to downmix 5.1/7.1 HDMI sources to 4.0 and output to my Sansui receiver. I also am running 4.0 from the Denon AVR in the living room simply because I don't have a sub or a center channel, nor really practical room for same.

I have still not received an e-mail confirming my order (Friday). I didn't record the order number because the site said I would be receiving one, so I can't even place an inquiry. Maybe Foraging Rhino could give me some advice. If my order wasn't received I will just place another one, but it looks like my VISA card has been charged. All I need to know is if the order was received, but an order confirmation with the order number would be nice.
I just heard that order fulfillment is backed up and orders should start shipping tomorrow. They are way behind.

Back