4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed, a smorgasbord of exciting quad mixes, a little something for everybody works for me too.

I'll take a Rock band, Jazz ensemble, Vocal stylist, and Pop group.

I know I should just sit back and be happy for a week or two and be thankful for what we have coming. But at the same time this forum is really all about us voicing our wants, hopes and dreams.

The thing is, and Rhino is clearly aware, that there are catalog titles they have that would probably not cause the same reaction as these 4 did. Sure, there are Seals and Crofts fans, but would there be a rush on any Seals and Crofts Quad Bluray here at QQ? Probably not.

I think AF found that as remarkable as the Laura Nyro unreleased quad SACD and the lineage of Best of Judy Collins were, these titles are going to attract fans of the artist but not the casual disc buyer.

The chances of seeing a "Waitress in a Donut Shop" Quadio, "Judith", "Never Let Her Go' or "Last of the Brooklyn Cowboys" is pretty slim. These are titles of a time that has passed and without the steady airplay from classic rock over the years, they are not going to merit the cost of making them available.

However, there are great titles that do merit release, and I am sure we'll all be fired up when they get the green light and are announced here and around the web.

It's taken since 2010, but I think we finally have the kind of commitment we had always wanted from WEA/WMG/Rhino to get their legacy quad mixes out in the best way possible, preserving them for fans who will be around long after us old time quad guys who heard them first on our CD-4 and 8 track players are gone.

And a lot of that praise has to go to the Rhino Quadio Team, and our friend ForagingRhino

The thing is, and Rhino is clearly aware, that there are catalog titles they have that would probably not cause the same reaction as these 4 did. Sure, there are Seals and Crofts fans, but would there be a rush on any Seals and Crofts Quad Bluray here at QQ? Probably not.

I think AF found that as remarkable as the Laura Nyro unreleased quad SACD and the lineage of Best of Judy Collins were, these titles are going to attract fans of the artist but not the casual disc buyer.

The chances of seeing a "Waitress in a Donut Shop" Quadio, "Judith", "Never Let Her Go' or "Last of the Brooklyn Cowboys" is pretty slim. These are titles of a time that has passed and without the steady airplay from classic rock over the years, they are not going to merit the cost of making them available.

However, there are great titles that do merit release, and I am sure we'll all be fired up when they get the green light and are announced here and around the web.

It's taken since 2010, but I think we finally have the kind of commitment we had always wanted from WEA/WMG/Rhino to get their legacy quad mixes out in the best way possible, preserving them for fans who will be around long after us old time quad guys who heard them first on our CD-4 and 8 track players are gone.

And a lot of that praise has to go to the Rhino Quadio Team, and our friend ForagingRhino
But by the same token, Jon, who, exactly is the target audience for QUADIO and even surround in general? 70's music is still briskly selling, AFAIK, and the over/under 50 crowd is surely buying it ...STILL. And with Rhino's excellent track record for releasing superb 192/24 BD~As, I, for one, would scoff up almost their entire QUAD back catalogue. And is that just ME?

The millennials born in the 80's and 90's are slowly discovering 70's music as well and might well bite......because so much superb and catchy classic music from that 70's period never grows old and even though Audio Fideity did release Laura Nyro and Judy Collins, two artists, especially the former, deserve to be heard and reappraised!

And hopefully, if Rhino's renewed QUADIO releases prove successful, they'll be emboldened to release their excellent Atlantic Jazz catalogue {Mingus, Modern Jazz Quartet, Gil Evans, Duke Ellington, Herbie Mann et alia] as potential releases!

Music remains a UNIVERSAL language and with this launch, RHINO is surely beating the pants off the UNIVERSAL Music Group by fulfilling UMG's initial promise of a BD~Audio launch! Only this time with panache and not just releasing BD~As in STEREO, only [as UMG repeatedly did]

It's called TAKING OFF! 🚀 Ay, Ay Captain Foraging Rhino! FULL STEVE, er steam, AHEAD!

Last edited:
I am 100% behind this also!

Would the acidically satirical sarcasm of some of his lyrics perhaps get in the way of a Rhino release though?
No, because Warner has reissued these titles after their earlier pressing had long runs. The albums have avoided controversy or getting dated out of fashion. Somehow Randy Newman has the ability to find that fine line and make his point artistically.

Sure, there are Seals and Crofts fans, but would there be a rush on any Seals and Crofts Quad Bluray here at QQ? Probably not.

To this day, I am still pissed off that I had to return my CD-4 pressing of Diamond Girl because of all the damn whistles and noises which drove me crazy. It was the release that totally soured me on the CD-4 format. Consequently, I have yet to hear the proper quad presentation of that album. So I will be at the front of the line to rush to buy that album should Rhino indulge me.

Lobbying for an earlier release date on the next batch.
Indeed, if they could be ready to ship on 9/8 which is 10 weeks after the current four, then have the following four land 10 weeks later on 11/24, this provides a holiday shopping season with four brand new & desirable "Holiday Gift Giving" titles as well as the 8 previous ones still available. Folks could be in for some cool "new" stocking stuffers, as well as being reminded of those few titles they didn't yet pick up the first time around. Wrap up the year with a couple of bangers too, or a sparkling diamond.

October is too far away to wait.
We here at QQ have about a two week attention span.
After receipt of the new Quadios some of us may actually play them but by two weeks time the endorfins kick in and we are demanding new releases to order.

I say July 14 should be the next release date.

Yes, but online reviews, comments on social, and the publicity Rhino sets up for these current four will not have quite peaked yet in three weeks. It could be even 10 to 14 days before many people have these in their hands depending on their location.

(edit)
(edit)
What is exciting is that there are several more titles (if they can get them out) that would send a lighting bolt across the internet like the current ones. All they have to do is put one of these ultra-hot ones in with three other good decent choices, and interest takes off.

And there must be a lot less red tape to deal with when you are not a reissue label trying to nail down licensing from a major. ForagingRhino can make things happen that others found to be just out of reach.

If they can get B$B and Paranoid out in one sweep, then pulling another rabbit or two out of a hat is really not that far fetched.
I'm convinced that not much is off the table.

Last edited:
Hey, I just got a shipping notice from Rhino!
But... it's for two Little Feat releases that I ordered a couple of weeks ago... unbelievable. I could've waited a while longer for those, honestly. Anyway, someone there must be working late.
For three seconds you had me smiling before total buzz-kill kicked in. o_O

But by the same token, Jon, who, exactly is the target audience for QUADIO and even surround in general? 70's music is still briskly selling, AFAIK, and the over/under 50 crowd is surely buying it ...STILL. And with Rhino's excellent track record for releasing superb 192/24 BD~As, I, for one, would scoff up almost their entire QUAD back catalogue. And is that just ME?

The millennials born in the 80's and 90's are slowly discovering 70's music as well and might well bite......because so much superb and catchy classic music from that 70's period never grows old and even though Audio Fideity did release Laura Nyro and Judy Collins, two artists, especially the former, deserve to be heard and reappraised!

And hopefully, if Rhino's renewed QUADIO releases prove successful, they'll be emboldened to release their excellent Atlantic Jazz catalogue {Mingus, Modern Jazz Quartet, Gil Evans, Duke Ellington, Herbie Mann et alia] as potential releases!

Music remains a UNIVERSAL language and with this launch, RHINO is surely beating the pants off the UNIVERSAL Music Group by fulfilling UMG's initial promise of a BD~Audio launch! Only this time with panache and not just releasing BD~As in STEREO, only [as UMG repeatedly did]

It's called TAKING OFF! 🚀 Ay, Ay Captain Foraging Rhino! FULL STEVE, er stream, AHEAD!
My impression (and what I think Jon is alluding to) is that Laura Nyro and Judy Collins didn't really sell for AF. I think there's a feeling that (huge generalization coming) 70s albums whose audience skews female have older fans who will buy it but aren't really making many ones in the surround space. I think there's a better chance of more boutique labels (like D-V) getting their records than Rhino rolling out the red carpet like they are here.

I remain perpetually open to being proved wrong, but as someone in the demographic that wasn't around in the 70s and isn't all that interested in these artists I just don't see it. I think there might actually be better odds for some of the jazz stuff you mention than for soft rock and vocals.

Do you get email with tracking number when they actually ship? My order details states shipped to: xxxx(my name) but I do not have any email with shipment confirmation or tracking number. I do not remember if that "shipped to" appeared just after ordering or if it is new.
Another thing, the address in my account slightly differs from the one they are going to use according to email with order confirmation, nothing very important though: only one surname instead of two and no phone number. Billing address complete and correct though.

My impression (and what I think Jon is alluding to) is that Laura Nyro and Judy Collins didn't really sell for AF. I think there's a feeling that (huge generalization coming) 70s albums whose audience skews female have older fans who will buy it but aren't really making many ones in the surround space. I think there's a better chance of more boutique labels (like D-V) getting their records than Rhino rolling out the red carpet like they are here.

I remain perpetually open to being proved wrong, but as someone in the demographic that wasn't around in the 70s and isn't all that interested in these artists I just don't see it. I think there might actually be better odds for some of the jazz stuff you mention than for soft rock and vocals.
I'm well aware ubertrout that certain AF titles were NOT received 'kindly....' but oh well, there are some of us who did appreciate those two releases. Every release can't be heavy metal or rock n' roll. My philosophy: shake it up and there are those of us who do appreciate diversity and WEA's QUAD catalogue certainly has enough diversity to hopefully do just that!

My impression (and what I think Jon is alluding to) is that Laura Nyro and Judy Collins didn't really sell for AF
Is there any proof that they didn't sell! They were limited editions to start with. Only few copies are left for sale on Discogs, grab them while you still can! If they didn't sell there should be plenty of them available for sale at low prices. Myself I discovered many artists because of quad. I purchased releases simply because they were quad and more often than not I was not disappointed! BTW Nyro and Collins are great!

Rhino has a good idea selling them in bundles. That encourages people to grab them all at the same time, even if the odd title is unfamiliar, or a so-so release for some people. Often the quad treatment elevates a so-so stereo release to top tier status IMHO!

Back