4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's get back to reality now. More Rock, Hard Rock, and Rock & Roll! No just kidding.

The next batch will be fine with me if it rocks very hard for only one title, and another singer-songwriter with band type of thing, etc.

Not sure who appointed you the taste gatekeeper for this series, but I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinions.
Indeed I am entitled to my opinion, same for you.
I'm all for putting your best foot forward, but I think batches of four (especially when you're offering bundle discounts) allows for some latitude in including a few hidden gems (add me to the list of David Gates First lovers, though it wouldn't be my first choice for a hidden gem) that deserve wider attention.
And your choice for hidden gem is?

Not sure who appointed you the taste gatekeeper for this series, but I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

It's great that we're finally getting some hard rock out of the WEA vaults, but the quality of something bears no relation to how hard it rocks - WEA has lots of artists from other genres that deserve the same treatment. If we're going by chart success - which I think is a flawed metric, just because something was popular on the radio 50 years ago doesn't mean it is today, and vice versa - S&C's Summer Breeze and Diamond Girl were both Billboard Top-10 albums so surely if J. Geils Nightmares (which only made it to 28) is worthy then so are they

I'm all for putting your best foot forward, but I think batches of four (especially when you're offering bundle discounts) allows for some latitude in including a few hidden gems (add me to the list of David Gates First lovers, though it wouldn't be my first choice for a hidden gem) that deserve wider attention. Did AF make some mistakes with their choices back in the day? Sure, but I'd argue that they also made mistakes with both their pricing and print runs for titles that they should've known would sell less copies. I think D-V's nearly 8 years of success with titles of varying reputation and popularity shows that if you calibrate your expectations and your pressing numbers, almost anything can be successful.

I don't know who said I was a 'Gatekeeper' here. That's dumb. I have no control over anything they do. If they want to press "Waitress in a Donut Shop", fine. That's great for the Maria Muldaur fans out there. What I am saying that you seem to be missing is we have this Quadio program fired up and running. We would like to see it continue and flourish, and the only thing that will do that is sales. The titles selected are what will make or break this program. All I am saying is that we have to expect those titles to be of the more popular titles as opposed to the obscure. That's all.

Geez, this is a tough crowd!

I don't know who said I was a 'Gatekeeper' here. That's dumb. I have no control over anything they do. If they want to press "Waitress in a Donut Shop", fine. That's great for the Maria Muldaur fans out there. What I am saying that you seem to be missing is we have this Quadio program fired up and running. We would like to see it continue and flourish, and the only thing that will do that is sales. The titles selected are what will make or break this program. All I am saying is that we have to expect those titles to be of the more popular titles as opposed to the obscure. That's all.

Geez, this is a tough crowd!
Sorry, I was speaking about quicksrt, not you. Some posts were obviously made while I was typing my response.

Look all. I am not knocking David Gates, Laura Nyro or Judy Collins. I am just saying those titles are not going to impress bean counters with sales. Marshall told me directly that the AF quad program was cancelled because the sales were not up to expectation. You all know how devistated I was when I found out that the BS&T Greatest Hits SACD was going to be stereo only. That was supposed to be 4.0/2.0, but it got squashed due to cost vs sales. That is a fact. Some of those titles that made us drool were passed over by the masses as being 'eh'.

We do not want that to happen to Quadio, and with ForagingRhino at the helm, I am sure it is not. Face it, most of us are an old and dying breed. The modern world is Atmos and streaming and people without BluRay players and receivers. That's the way of the world. It's not negativity, it's reality

I think the fact that today Atmos *is* the way of the future (although I really don't think it's going to be widely adopted outside the enthusiast community... what I *DO* see however is "ordinary people" having basic 5.1 systems) means there will be a place for Quadio. Someone may not want to invest in a four channel reel to reel or CD-4 capable turntable, cartridge, and decoder and their AVR may not have multi channel analog inputs anyway - I'm pretty sure mine doesn't - but when you can just buy a shiny new Blu-Ray and have it play on the HT you already have, that's kind of tempting. Heck, I would probably buy a Quadio of something I already had in discrete 4-channel just to have it, if it were an album I liked. And AFAIK there's not a lot of multi-channel streaming out there (although maybe this is content that could be licensed to Tidal, Qobuz, et. al.?)

I agree that Rhino has to chase sales numbers. If an album didn't sell a ton when it was released, people certainly aren't going to, all of a sudden, buy it 50 years later. We all have albums we hold in high regard that the rest of the music community does not (I could list a dozen of mine of the top of my head). The average person is not going to buy something they don't hold in high regard just because it's in quad.

We aren't normal. Always keep that in mind.

The average person is not going to buy something they don't hold in high regard just because it's in quad.

Exactly, and who are buying the bulk of these releases, we are!

Consideration should be given to making digital copies available of the more obscure titles, if not enough interest/market for a physical release.

Speaking for myself I do enjoy finding and listening to more obscure music but I know more popular equals more sales and that is what will keep these programs going. I think Quicksrt is exactly right selling by bundles driven by hugely in demand chestnuts and including there the less popular perhaps more cult followed items. Maybe David Gates or something like him could appear as part of a future bundle. Part of what I enjoy about collecting quad is buying completely unfamiliar music and finding new artists to like.

Anyways hopefully the industry people who read these threads will realize there are various markets that can be catered to just adjusting expectations and costs accordingly. I would love to see a situation where Rhino or some other rights holder makes a deal with a DV to sell items they feel they cant make a profit on but the other company is willing to make a go of it with a reasonable licensing fee adjusted accordingly.

I would love to see a situation where Rhino or some other rights holder makes a deal with a DV to sell items they feel they cant make a profit on but the other company is willing to make a go of it with a reasonable licensing fee adjusted accordingly.
Yes, please license those titles to DV to reissue. DV has reissued a whole bunch of 'obscure' stuff that I had never known existed in quad. They also have a whole bunch of my money.

There are only so many quad recordings out there that Rhino can make available and all of these recordings are from way back. I hope Rhino isn't worried about picking a "dud". C'mon, this is the Quadio program! We need as many of the classic quad albums that we can get. Foraging Rhino please bring on all the David Gates, Seals and Crofts, James Taylors, Joni Mitchells, Carly Simons, Randy Newmans, Gordon Lightfoots, and Eagles etc. I have a collection of old stereo review mags and most of these albums got great reviews back then. Good music is good music in any era.

There’s an unreleased J. Geils Band Quad:
J. Geils Band - Bloodshot
that should be released. Perhaps The J. Geils Band might receive reconsideration after getting into the vibe, when you consider the context from which they come from. Like watching a rediscovered film Noir movie.

Some of the the Frank Sinatra Quads are worth considering. I also agree either individually or as a box set, the Carly Simon Quads are an obvious choice. She also has an unreleased Quad: Carly Simon - Another Passenger

We all definitely want unreleased Quad titles, especially if it’s a famous title/artist. I wonder if any Rod Stewart Quad titles exist?

I agree that Rhino has to chase sales numbers. If an album didn't sell a ton when it was released, people certainly aren't going to, all of a sudden, buy it 50 years later. We all have albums we hold in high regard that the rest of the music community does not (I could list a dozen of mine of the top of my head). The average person is not going to buy something they don't hold in high regard just because it's in quad.

Since I've never claimed to be normal, I would not mind hearing analog synths on display in 24/192kHz quad surround in my living room.
https://www.discogs.com/release/1760778-Stardrive-With-Robert-Mason-Intergalactic-TrotDon't think it's happening this year, nor next.

I should think by now that RHINO who has been in business for many years knows best what sells and what does NOT! Although their 'renewed' QUADIO program is dealing with basically 50 year old masters ...... many of them which based over the years on sales in either LP or reissued CD format...will dictate what the current market will bear. And provided the masters are in usuable condition and all clearances are secured, RHINO will best decide what is both suitable and profitable going forward.

And as Steelydave pointed out, Dutton Vocalion has released some out of left field SACD QUAD releases which have sold well .... including some of those RCA/Columbia classical titles [i.e. Bernstein THE PLANETS] which have found favor with even QQ Forum's rock n' roll community.

And as I mentioned previously, since Blu Ray's have tremendous real estate, hopefully RHINO will also see fit to include MORE than one album per disc and just charge accordingly!

And since we have the option to purchase the forthcoming titles in either bundles or individually ...or NOT at all .....should encourage us to decide what titles we wish to ultimately add to our collection.

There’s an unreleased J. Geils Band Quad: J. Geils Band - Bloodshot
that should be released. Perhaps The J. Geils Band might getting reconsideration after get into the vibe, when you considers the context from which they come from. Like watching a rediscovered film Noir movie.

Some of the the Frank Sinatra Quads are worth considering. I also agree either individually or as a box set, the Carly Simon Quads are an obvious choice. She also has an unreleased Quad: Carly Simon - Another Passenger

We all definitely want unreleased Quad titles, especially if it’s a famous title/artist. I wonder if any Rod Stewart Quad titles exist?
I love the thought of unreleased quad mixes. Is Bloodshot a 100% certainty? That is a great album from them.

Frank Sinatra's masters have moved on from Reprise at this time I believe.

Last edited:
Yes, please license those titles to DV to reissue. DV has reissued a whole bunch of 'obscure' stuff that I had never known existed in quad. They also have a whole bunch of my money.

Sadly this won't be happening, because as Mike mentioned in his interview with @edisonbaggins Warner UK aren't interested in doing business with D-V, at least at the present time.

Back