4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any proof that they didn't sell! They were limited editions to start with. Only few copies are left for sale on Discogs, grab them while you still can! If they didn't sell there should be plenty of them available for sale at low prices. Myself I discovered many artists because of quad. I purchased releases simply because they were quad and more often than not I was not disappointed! BTW Nyro and Collins are great!

Rhino has a good idea selling them in bundles. That encourages people to grab them all at the same time, even if the odd title is unfamiliar, or a so-so release for some people. Often the quad treatment elevates a so-so stereo release to top tier status IMHO!

Speaking solely for myself, I probably wouldn't have bought the J. Geils outside of the bundle but now I'm kinda curious to hear it. Same thing for Starship although IMHO they were best when they were still Airplane.

Speaking solely for myself, I probably wouldn't have bought the J. Geils outside of the bundle but now I'm kinda curious to hear it. Same thing for Starship although IMHO they were best when they were still Airplane.
The J. Geils one works really well as an album, IMO, as so many did back then. You just like listening through it start to finish, unlike today where there doesn't seem to be as much - or any - emphasis on song sequence. The LP format must have had a lot to do with that I'm sure. The final track got some airplay also and was kind of a 'minor' hit, I guess you could call it...

The J. Geils one works really well as an album, IMO, as so many did back then. You just like listening through it start to finish, unlike today where there doesn't seem to be as much - or any - emphasis on song sequence. The LP format must have had a lot to do with that I'm sure. The final track got some airplay also and was kind of a 'minor' hit, I guess you could call it...
I never bought the lp, but always liked "Musta Got Lost" when it was a hit. Looking forward to hearing the Quadio disc. I listened to Red Octopus more times than I could count. Looking forward to hearing that one the most.

I had that thought of perhaps lesser known titles selling better if they’re in a bundle. Not huge numbers, but maybe better than if it was a stand-alone release with nothing else being promoted at the same time.

I think I’m adventurous enough at this stage to buy any quad they want to put out, but it certainly helps make the decision easier if something I’m not quite as interested in is part of a well-priced bundle.

Confession time.

My cousin is in "the industry" and happened to be at my parent's house visiting during Memorial Day. He mentioned he was doing some work with Rhino and I asked him if he new about the new Quadio releases. He swore me to secrecy and told me the four titles that were being released this month. It was hard, but I kept quiet and ordered the bundle last Friday and was anxiously awaiting their arrival from Rhino.

Went to my mailbox yesterday and he had sent me promo copies of all four as a surprise..........

So I guess I'll just hold on to the unopened copies of the ones I paid for when they get here and hope for a Chicago price scenario sometime in the future.

I actually haven't been able to listen to them yet. But I'm about to.

Confession time.

My cousin is in "the industry" and happened to be at my parent's house visiting during Memorial Day. He mentioned he was doing some work with Rhino and I asked him if he new about the new Quadio releases. He swore me to secrecy and told me the four titles that were being released this month. It was hard, but I kept quiet and ordered the bundle last Friday and was anxiously awaiting their arrival from Rhino.

Went to my mailbox yesterday and he had sent me promo copies of all four as a surprise..........

So I guess I'll just hold on to the unopened copies of the ones I paid for when they get here and hope for a Chicago price scenario sometime in the future.

Crank those suckers up and let's hear what you think! I am really looking forward to hearing what folks with young ears thing about these. I think you will all be very pleased, with of course a few critics complaining, which is always expected these days...........

Confession time.

Attachments

• sabbath.jpg
    sabbath.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0
I would really like for someone to do the 2 David gates quads. who would most likely, DV, Rhino, the japan company, sde? these are 2 fantasic quads.

I used to use the title track from "Never Let Her Go" when I would demo CD-4 to folks back when I was in the Navy, and that always impressed them. It's basically a forgotten song these days, you never hear it anywhere.

And you would have to wonder, if Rhino offered that album as a Quadio, would it actually sell? Well? I mean, aside from us wacky quad completists, is there a market for David Gates LPs???

Confession time.

cant wait to hear your reviews

is there a market for David Gates LPs???
There should be for anyone who likes "Bread"! His solo efforts are almost as good.

Many here are Quad completists. There are only a few artists that I would hold my nose up at, and they are all very popular artists. There is a hunger for quality digital copies of most all the old quad stuff (by many, many of us), most modern mixes just don't do it for me!

Last edited:
Jon Rhino just needs to advertise the first Gates solo as a lost prog masterpiece and emphasize the suite on it.
Speaking as someone who likes Bread but neglected to pick up the AF Bread SACD I would get this especially if it came as a two fer.
David Gates "First" and Never "Let Her Go", would be great. Adding to that "Baby I'm a Want You" and "Best of Bread" would be icing on the cake!

Also the stereo release "Best of Bread Volume Two" to help bridge the older Bread with the solo Gates. Sad that Vol 2 was not released in Quad!

I used to use the title track from "Never Let Her Go" when I would demo CD-4 to folks back when I was in the Navy, and that always impressed them. It's basically a forgotten song these days, you never hear it anywhere.

And you would have to wonder, if Rhino offered that album as a Quadio, would it actually sell? Well? I mean, aside from us wacky quad completists, is there a market for David Gates LPs???
I think the Quadio bundles of four titles need to have at least one "event" record included among the four. An album that gets everyone's attention and creates real excitement. Thankfully there are four or five more of these types of records in the vaults even without including the Eagles titles.
There should be for anyone who likes "Bread"! His solo efforts are almost as good.

Many here are Quad completists. There are only a few artists that I would hold my nose up at, and they are all very popular artists. There is a hunger for quality digital copies of most all the old quad stuff (by many, many of us), most modern mixes just don't do it for me!
David Gates even with that great identifiable voice, and good quad mixes, well no, not going to carry a Quadio release to the finish line. (added) I just looked up the chart positions of David's solo albums and singles. He is nowhere near the platinum status or singles chart position of a "Divine Miss M" type of pop masterpiece.

Seals and Crofts also, peaked with the Diamond Girl album as a recording act. Yet I have never seen any of their albums on a
Best of the 70s, Top 500 albums or All-Time, etc. lists. Like Judy Collins Colors, was wonderful in it's time, not a bad listen now, but no.

Can't afford to short-circuit the Quadio line on some of the lower demand titles.

But there is always the future of streaming surround, and maybe that is the future of David Gates and S&C in quad?

Last edited:
Look all. I am not knocking David Gates, Laura Nyro or Judy Collins. I am just saying those titles are not going to impress bean counters with sales. Marshall told me directly that the AF quad program was cancelled because the sales were not up to expectation. You all know how devistated I was when I found out that the BS&T Greatest Hits SACD was going to be stereo only. That was supposed to be 4.0/2.0, but it got squashed due to cost vs sales. That is a fact. Some of those titles that made us drool were passed over by the masses as being 'eh'.

We do not want that to happen to Quadio, and with ForagingRhino at the helm, I am sure it is not. Face it, most of us are an old and dying breed. The modern world is Atmos and streaming and people without BluRay players and receivers. That's the way of the world. It's not negativity, it's reality

Not sure who appointed you the taste gatekeeper for this series, but I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

It's great that we're finally getting some hard rock out of the WEA vaults, but the quality of something bears no relation to how hard it rocks - WEA has lots of artists from other genres that deserve the same treatment. If we're going by chart success - which I think is a flawed metric, just because something was popular on the radio 50 years ago doesn't mean it is today, and vice versa - S&C's Summer Breeze and Diamond Girl were both Billboard Top-10 albums so surely if J. Geils Nightmares (which only made it to 28) is worthy then so are they

I'm all for putting your best foot forward, but I think batches of four (especially when you're offering bundle discounts) allows for some latitude in including a few hidden gems (add me to the list of David Gates First lovers, though it wouldn't be my first choice for a hidden gem) that deserve wider attention. Did AF make some mistakes with their choices back in the day? Sure, but I'd argue that they also made mistakes with both their pricing and print runs for titles that they should've known would sell less copies. I think D-V's nearly 8 years of success with titles of varying reputation and popularity shows that if you calibrate your expectations and your pressing numbers, almost anything can be successful.

Back