5.1 BD!! "Electric Lady Studios: A Jimi Hendrix Vision" 3CD/1BD box set (Experience Hendrix/Legacy) (3/25/2022)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived today, and its Jimi Hendrix, so I had to listen rather than place on the mountain. I really enjoyed it, the mixes fit the period and when something is panned it fits, for such an old recording it sounds great. :rocks

What could have been if Jimi had lived - I still remember going into school the day after he died and it was all we talked about.

The one negative is the <bleep> cardboard sleeve with insert slots, OK nothing fell out in transit, but it was nigh on impossible to get the Blu-ray in its own cardboard sleeve out of the slot - I did eventually get it out without destroying the outer sleeve. I haven't re-inserted it!

Wait wait wait... This is real? Gilligan really made it off the island this time? You sure there isn't a twist after another commercial?

My stupid analogies aside. The $64,000 question: Is the audio for the 5.1 mixes corrected here or the same significant low fidelity compared to the stereo originals (as the leaked bluray featured)? Different running order too as suggested in earlier comments? Is Room Full of Mirrors still an upmix of the alternate drums rough working mix track?

I listened to it whilst working, so not totally attentive to the finer detail, but it sounded Ok quality wise, as for Room Of Mirrors I'll have to listen again to see if I can spot if its an upmix. The sleeve of the BD in the set is below (is it the same as the one that escaped?). Edit: It does say 2021 at the bottom.

CCF_000657.jpg
CCF_000659.jpg

Attachments

• CCF_000657.jpg
    CCF_000657.jpg
    90.5 KB
That's the same song sequence and looks just like the escaped copy that features reduced fidelity and the one upmix.

I don't know if the reduced fidelity just is what it is and due to the tapes aging poorly. There was no obvious telltale of an authoring technical mistake. Just the original stereo mixes to compare to and the recent 5.1 remix of Electric Ladyland. This sounded dull and choked next to those. Not bad per say. The mixes are greatness in fact! But it was lo-fi next to the stereo originals FWIW.

Would love to hear definitively from someone with both copies side by side.

We were speculating that the upmix was a mistake because if the multitracks were missing for Room Full of Mirrors, they would have at least upmixed from the original final mix instead of one of the bonus track outtake mixes. One would assume anyway.

£69.99 here, Ralphie 🙄
Got mine for £54
Says arriving Friday 4th 🤞

Electric Lady Studios: A Jimi Hendrix Vision https://amzn.eu/d/9CYvCRj
Just ordered yesterday from importCD @ $46 along with Best of the Cure Stereo SACD and two MoFi SACDs [Ladies of the Canyon and Jan Hammer/Jeff Beck] and XTC BD~A ATMOS of SKYLARKING.

Last edited:
It's become apparent to me that, despite excited hopes and speculations, the boxes that deliver in six weeks will be new old 2021 stock that will have been warehoused in various, possibly uncontrolled conditions, for three years.

The blu ray "promo" discs that appeared on eBay are the exact ones that will deliver in the vinyl and CD boxes.

There is no new pressing of a blu ray with revised track order, better mix or mastering, hi-res stereo versions, or any other pipe dreams.

The 48-page book has not been re-printed.

The printed date on every single item in the box will remain 2021.
...The sleeve of the BD in the set is below (is it the same as the one that escaped?). Edit: It does say 2021 at the bottom.

View attachment 109791View attachment 109792

My prophecy has fulfilled, for better or worse.
New old stock.
I was not jivin' with no Cosmik Debris.

Thanks for the early confirmation.

Back