5.1 BD!! "Electric Lady Studios: A Jimi Hendrix Vision" 3CD/1BD box set (Experience Hendrix/Legacy) (3/25/2022)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect you are correct @~dave~~wave~. ie. That this is the very same bluray and it was not held back because of the flaws but for litigious reasons and furthermore that they wouldn't even care about the audio flaws.
No one with both copies able to put this to rest yet?
News flash! ⚡
Today I did an A/B comparison of Room Full of Mirrors between the blu ray from the box set, and the "promo" version I bought on e-bay in June.

I hear a difference in the drum tracksI
...the 5.1 "mix" of Mirrors is clearly an upmix of the drum overdub working mix included in these bonus tracks.

To recap, @jimfisheye got possession of the gray market version below, but declines to pony up for the box set to prove his theory. ;)

1728335099074.png

I confirm the mix in the box set sounds like the mix on the Rainbow Bridge Soundtrack & First Rays albums.

The "tell" for me was quickly apparent from the lack of cowbell in the left channels on the gray market disc, which is restored in the official version delivered last week.

That prompted me to check matrix numbers, which are different.
The e-bay promo disc numbers end in D25 & DO28.
The disc in the official set is D21 & DO22.

So, some of us have an extremely rare & collectible disc with an alternate 5.1 mix of RFOM ?!

The story of the alternate track 13 on CD3, with Mitch Mitchell overdubbing new drum tracks, is told in the liner notes on page 43 of the book.

Buddy Miles approved this post.

Peace, out.

IMG_0031.jpeg

News flash! ⚡
Today I did an A/B comparison of Room Full of Mirrors between the blu ray from the box set, and the "promo" version I bought on e-bay in June.

I hear a difference in the drum tracksI
Maybe this was catching and correcting a mistake (eg wrong file) the whole time instead of legal mischief?

Confirming re Room Full, it’s definitely a completely different mix, if not a different take. I must admit that I never really cared for the song, so I am not an expert on it. But the differences are obvious. Gonna check all my numbers and will follow up.

Original disc 1:21:39
New disc 1:22:15

okay @~dave~~wave~ when I get home tonight I will compare that track on both blu-rays. I've been concentrating on the CDs and have much to listen to including the new X In Search Of Space which is arriving tonight. But lucky for us it looks like they have fixed this track on the new blu-ray.

other can please verify my initial findings below for 'Room Full Of Mirrors'. @jefe1

Just a quick check in Audacity, top 5.1 channels is the new 2024 mix and the bottom are the 2021 mix.

A slight clipping on the front channels, no center channel info and minimal LFE for the 2024; also different length with some added guitar pyrotechnics at the end. The 2021 version has some minimal insignificant Center channel info and more LFE volume.

yes, probably a totally different take...

18  -ROOM FULL OF MIRRORS 2024 VS 2021.jpg

who knows, the 2021 could be an Up-mix, because perhaps they hadn't found all the tapes, then found them and completed a real mix afterwards, what ya all think? Because that little Center channel stuff sounds like some kind of up-mix throw-off channel to me. And after isolating both rears, the 2021 is just a muddy mess of reverb, but the 2024 is clear with more definition!

Have you noticed any differences in the other tracks if you have had time to listen?

It would have been cool if they had put a hidden track or two on these discs with all the takes in the can....

Have you noticed any differences in the other tracks if you have had time to listen?

It would have been cool if they had put a hidden track or two on these discs with all the takes in the can....
I haven't checked out any others yet. I did notice after ripping with MakeMKV->MMH that the 2024 songs were out of order and I'd tagged 'em wrong; don't know if that was me or the rip :unsure: So check your song order please?

Back