ABC - The Lexicon Of Love (Steven Wilson 5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming in August 2023; SDE Blu-Ray #12)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest thing I noticed with that article is the complete lack of discussion on how existing 5.1 systems can enjoy listening to surround mixes because Dolby Atmos is just metadata on TrueHD, which means you don’t need new equipment at all if you’ve had 5.1 since the early 2000s from the SACD/DVD-A days nor if you’ve had 5.1 for Blu-ray movies since the late 2000s when TrueHD-capable AVRs were launched. Sure you might need the extras if you want to go the whole hog, but Atmos doesn’t equal 7.2.4 or bust.
So agree. I started in Atmos almost by accident. Onkyo replaced my defective AVR with one that was 5.1.2 capable and the journey was begun.

https://darko.audio/2023/06/the-madness-of-dolby-atmos-for-music/
Anyone see this article that starts out talking about the forthcoming The Lexicon Of Love Dolby Atmos mix then goes into thoughts of why people don’t want to put more than two speakers in their living space, etc? Sounds to me like he doesn’t like the idea, at all. 🤯
I don't think he's too far off, actually. It is an outrageous setup. But he fails to consider how many people already have a 5.1 setup and how that can be translated from an Atmos mix. He also gripes about getting an Atmos receiver. I can't remember when I bought mine, but it was probably a decade ago and at no great expense.

Now the extra speakers ARE a pain in the rear and would come at an expense, which is why I don't have at Atmos setup (mostly due to the pain in the rear part of that equation).

I think the biggest oversight in the article, however, is no discussion of the surround sound listening experience and how that can transform music.

The biggest thing I noticed with that article is the complete lack of discussion on how existing 5.1 systems can enjoy listening to surround mixes because Dolby Atmos is just metadata on TrueHD, which means you don’t need new equipment at all if you’ve had 5.1 since the early 2000s from the SACD/DVD-A days nor if you’ve had 5.1 for Blu-ray movies since the late 2000s when TrueHD-capable AVRs were launched. Sure you might need the extras if you want to go the whole hog, but Atmos doesn’t equal 7.2.4 or bust.
Bingo. He’s absolutely right in stating that going from home stereo to (non sound bar) home Dolby Atmos can be expensive and can also require significant alteration to your listening room. In looking at it from an audio only standpoint, however, he leaves out the people who already have some type of home theater system already in place. Further, he looks at it as stereo or Dolby Atmos, with no 4.0 or 5.1 content to also enjoy(and a smaller move needed to go from a quad or 5.1 setup to a Dolby Atmos setup).

The crux of his argument is that there is precious little lossless Dolby Atmos content to enjoy. In truth, there is a considerable amount of 3.0, 4.0 and 5.1 content to also be enjoyed on a Dolby Atmos system.

Darko has made significant and expensive alterations to his listening room for stereo. Pot calling the kettle black, IMO.

If he isn’t interested in multichannel audio, fair enough. I hope that is the last we hear from this influencer about it then.

I am not saying he is bashing multichannel, but I do think our hobby needs less bashing and more accepting/allowing/encouraging on formats and the like when we don’t like or agree with something. Folks end up biased or revealing agendas. Yuck.

I can’t wait for this ABC Blu-Ray!

I’d probably argue that with so many people now owning “Atmos”-capable soundbars and speakers that there is an increased market for spatial and surround sound music and that a whole new world of great sounding music is more readily available for consumers, which is reflected in the likes of Apple Music making so much more content available.

Hell, my car even has surround sound options so an audience of consumers is increasingly aware of how immersive music can be.

The fact that John Darko’s rooms have been treated to enhance stereo music production from two channel output means that he is actually not relevant to many consumers who have to deal with harder surfaces. However, these harder, reflective surfaces are then used for the basis of DPS to create the illusion of surround and height in playback from many modern speakers. It might not be discrete spatial music in the strictest sense but if it increases the enjoyment of music overall then then surely a good thing?

I’m lucky enough to be able to enjoy both good stereo and decent spatial audio in my house and I’ve always loved the immersion you get when I hear music in the latter category.

I’d probably argue that with so many people now owning “Atmos”-capable soundbars and speakers that there is an increased market for spatial and surround sound music and that a whole new world of great sounding music is more readily available for consumers, which is reflected in the likes of Apple Music making so much more content available.

Hell, my car even has surround sound options so an audience of consumers is increasingly aware of how immersive music can be.

The fact that John Darko’s rooms have been treated to enhance stereo music production from two channel output means that he is actually not relevant to many consumers who have to deal with harder surfaces. However, these harder, reflective surfaces are then used for the basis of DPS to create the illusion of surround and height in playback from many modern speakers. It might not be discrete spatial music in the strictest sense but if it increases the enjoyment of music overall then then surely a good thing?

I’m lucky enough to be able to enjoy both good stereo and decent spatial audio in my house and I’ve always loved the immersion you get when I hear music in the latter category.
Anybody who views himself as an audiophile, has KEF LS50 Metas and also a DAC and room treatment is far afield from even your atypical consumer in 2023.

https://darko.audio/2023/06/the-madness-of-dolby-atmos-for-music/
Anyone see this article that starts out talking about the forthcoming The Lexicon Of Love Dolby Atmos mix then goes into thoughts of why people don’t want to put more than two speakers in their living space, etc? Sounds to me like he doesn’t like the idea, at all. 🤯
Never heard a "grown man" whine so much in my life. Someone could go on with the same nonsense about spending $2200 for two speakers. He should go back to his wimpy 2 channel setup and STFU.

Screenshot_2023-07-29-11-24-13-32_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Back