Advent Loudspeaker Woofer Surround Replacement

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Next project today is repairing an Advent loudspeaker by replacing the foam surround that connects the paper cone to the steel frame. The foam surround disintegrates over time, usually lasting several years. I didn’t do a good job last time with the adhesive which caused a buzzing from the surfaces that didn’t contact. I will do a better job this time.

Advent1.jpg
Advent2.jpg

Okay I spent extra time to remove old glue and foam residue from steel frame for a clean surface. The razor blade couldn’t get it all. Fingernail got more. Next I put Goo Gone on paper towel to break down the glue. Not as good as hoped. Then I put some on an old toothbrush; this got some of it but the bristles were too soft. A steel brush could get it. Okay flip the surround and apply glue. First a tip to raise the paper cone by stuffing paper towels between voice coil and cone to better match the height of steel frame closed the gap nicely. Glue is MESSY but it works. Now we wait.

Reassembly Time (bellow left)
Ready to Go Back In Service Now (below right) You can see one of the Anniversary Edition speakers in the background

Advent3.jpg
Advent4.jpg

Peter Gabriel - I/O in Dolby Atmos
Sounds AMAZING! Didn’t realized how compromised this Advent was and now it has its full voice once again.
The repair kit for a pair $25.

Next project today is repairing an Advent loudspeaker by replacing the foam surround that connects the paper cone to the steel frame. The foam surround disintegrates over time, usually lasting several years. I didn’t do a good job last time with the adhesive which caused a buzzing from the surfaces that didn’t contact. I will do a better job this time.

View attachment 108049 View attachment 108050

Okay I spent extra time to remove old glue and foam residue from steel frame for a clean surface. The razor blade couldn’t get it all. Fingernail got more. Next I put Goo Gone on paper towel to break down the glue. Not as good as hoped. Then I put some on an old toothbrush; this got some of it but the bristles were too soft. A steel brush could get it. Okay flip the surround and apply glue. First a tip to raise the paper cone by stuffing paper towels between voice coil and cone to better match the height of steel frame closed the gap nicely. Glue is MESSY but it works. Now we wait.

Ready to Go Back In Service Now (below right) You can see one of the Anniversary Edition speakers in the background

View attachment 108051 View attachment 108052

Sounds AMAZING! Didn’t realized how compromised this Advent was and now it has its full voice once again.

Nice project, there. I'm glad it worked out well. I guess some things go better the second attempt! The Advent's exterior looks in really good shape.

There was another good thread on this subject some time ago:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/speaker-refoaming.31364/

I have 4 large Infinity Kappa speakers with matching 12" woofers. I had them professionally refoamed once. Based on the posts here if it needs it again I will probably try it myself. I should inspect them but they do sound fine so far.

BTW, I really liked your pic in the Show Us Your SACD thread. Is this where you use the Advents? And have you ever posted a more complete group of pics to the Show Us Your Gear topic?

I think you're referring to the Show Us Your Quadio thread from yesterday? That's system #2 Marantz quad in the backroom. I have four Advent Legacy IIIs back there. No pictures of them until I get the grilles cleaned or replaced. Got Legacy I / II grilles in a box but the Legacy III speakers are taller. :(

As far as repair history goes, I'd done a pair 4-1/2 times correctly; this last one had to be done because the glue was insufficient (underneath) in one place to cause a nasty buzzing when we warmed up from winter. Way good now.

As original Advent loudspeakers go, I have the 1977 walnut cabs pair + I bought an 'Anniversary Edition' pair from later years. They look the same from the front and the drivers appear to be the same. The back of the speakers reveal their later vintage (cheaper construction). I got them with blown woofer surrounds and did the replacement job on those.

I'm thinking of two stereo setups to share the extra pair of Advents (Anniversary): One setup would be the Marantz 1040 amp+ Technics SL1700 turntable (my 1970s rig). The other would be the Proton D940 receiver (DPD) with my JVC stack of matching CD player, cassette deck and DAT deck. (my 1990s rig)

View attachment 108049 View attachment 108050

View attachment 108051 View attachment 108052

Where did you purchase the foam surrounds?

I saw so many "blown" speakers that had their foam surrounds destroyed that I decided I wanted speakers with the paper surrounds.

I bought a set of 4 Nubian 345 monitor speakers in 1974. They are STILL my primary speakers.

Back