ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three talented brothers paying tribute to three other talented brothers.

Massive Rory Gallagher set just listed, The BBC Collection, 18 CDs and 2 Blu-rays, due Oct. 11 (no MCH Blu-rays by the looks of it, just video performances):

Rory Gallagher - The BBC Collection

spread20_600.jpg

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else, but have you seen the PBS documentary on disco? I'm watching it now. (My DVR recorded it a few weeks ago on my local PBS station.) Disco: Soundtrack of a Revolution
It was released in 2023, but I never saw anything about it until now.
I had no idea about a lot of the stuff they talked about in it.
- the elevation of the black woman as a diva
- the beginnings of it all in private spaces, not actual clubs
- the connection to the gay and black communities and how all cultures, even suburban white folks, came together to dance and party.
- the HUGE impact it had on the music industry and radio. Club DJs were making the hits, not the radio station programmers or music executives.
(I knew groups changed and exploited disco, like The Bee gees and Rod Stewart, but Frank Sinatra? 😳)
- how oversaturation killed it. (I don't remember the woman they interviewed, I think maybe Candi Staton, said that there were so many discos in NYC that she could make three 30 minute appearances in one night and walk away with $30k.)
- the impact the obscure song, Soul Makossa by Manu Dibango, had on everything.

It was fun to see clips of people like Sylvester on The Dinah Shore Show. 😂 Wow. Did Shore look uncomfortable!

...and wow. The famous people who were at Studio 54! Everyone who was anyone was there.

I'm only halfway through it, too. Definitely worth a watch, even if this kind of music isn't your thing. Three episodes.

https://www.pbs.org/show/disco-soundtrack-of-a-revolution/

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else, but have you seen the PBS documentary on disco? I'm watching it now. (My DVR recorded it a few weeks ago on my local PBS station.) Disco: Soundtrack of a Revolution
- the connection to the gay and black communities and how all cultures, even suburban white folks, came together to dance and party.
- the HUGE impact it had on the music industry and radio. Club DJs were making the hits, not the radio station programmers or music executives.
(I knew groups changed and exploited disco, like The Bee gees and Rod Stewart, but Frank Sinatra? 😳)
- how oversaturation killed it. (I don't remember the woman they interviewed, I think maybe Candi Staton, said that there were so many discos in NYC that she could make three 30 minute appearances in one night and walk away with $30k.)

It was fun to see clips of people like Sylvester on The Dinah Shore Show. 😂 Wow. Did Shore look uncomfortable!

...and wow. The famous people who were at Studio 54! Everyone who was anyone was there.

I'm only halfway through it, too. Definitely worth a watch, even if this kind of music isn't your thing. Three episodes.

I loved disco...BUT...all my friends were hard core Rockers...which I was too...but i loved the female voices in that genre...they were blowing away female vocalist in other genres...the music was upbeat...it was just "fun"....after 2 decades of turmoil and being stoned everyday...Disco represented a different message....get out there and dance...instead of the songs of protests and insurrection...just enjoy life...I was in Acapulco and went to my first "real" disco...I was blown away...it was elaborate and the women were dressed to the "9's...more like 10's...I wasn't a dancer...but to sit at the bar and watch these beautiful women dance and hearing those impressive vocals and that driving beat...it was awesome..

But it wasn't "cool" to like disco in most circles...and I don't know if it is true about it being a "gay" genre or not...numbers wise...but even the suggestion that it was true....was just another reason for people 40 years ago to dislike it...given the intolerance and outright racist attitude that existed...and the stark contrast in musical styles...rock with these guitar dominated songs and disco with electronic emphasis...

I still like DISCO...along with ROCK...in my heterosexual world :)

I loved disco...BUT...all my friends were hard core Rockers...which I was too...but i loved the female voices in that genre...they were blowing away female vocalist in other genres...the music was upbeat...it was just "fun"....after 2 decades of turmoil and being stoned everyday...Disco represented a different message....get out there and dance...instead of the songs of protests and insurrection...just enjoy life...I was in Acapulco and went to my first "real" disco...I was blown away...it was elaborate and the women were dressed to the "9's...more like 10's...I wasn't a dancer...but to sit at the bar and watch these beautiful women dance and hearing those impressive vocals and that driving beat...it was awesome..

But it wasn't "cool" to like disco in most circles...and I don't know if it is true about it being a "gay" genre or not...numbers wise...but even the suggestion that it was true....was just another reason for people 40 years ago to dislike it...given the intolerance and outright racist attitude that existed...and the stark contrast in musical styles...rock with these guitar dominated songs and disco with electronic emphasis...

In general, I would say I didn't like Disco as a total genre. But, within the genre, there were many artists, many songs I truly loved. I couldn't get enough of Donna Summer. So much talent. Bee Gees? Come one......simply the best. KC & The Sunshine Band? Awesome....

A very cool thing in this documentary was also about the sound system in the first "disco" ((which was actually some guy's loft in NYC.) it's something common that we see today but was unheard of back in 1970ish. Separate, suspended tweeters for those brilliant highs. Not just big box speakers that were all contained.

Gays, which I'm part of that "club," had our own clubs but I was astonished how many straight people came to listen, dance and mingle. There was great music and the DJs knew how to mix and blend all the biggest hits. There were so many straight women, usually friends of the gay men. And I was shocked about the number of straight men in the gay clubs. I'll never forget my conversation with one guy. He was there to pick up those straight women who were not going to "get anywhere" with the gay men. 😂 They had it down to a science. But they also had to be okay with being hit on by other men. Overall, it was a place to dance, drink and party with no fears in a huge blended community. I miss that.

Just speaking for myself, I (generally) like disco, although the worst album in history was an excruciating attempt at fusing the genre with classical. “Hooked on Classics” was unlistenable. Just a kick drum added to an orchestra. Bump, bump, bump, bump, bump ad infinitum. Shit like that ruined the genre, and may well have turned a lot of people off.

Played once, frisbeed once into the donation pile.

There were plenty of good disco songs, though. Donna Summer, Alicia Bridges, even Blondie made some great music, and in a dance hall with a good light show, it was groovy as you can imagine.

Just speaking for myself, I (generally) like disco, although the worst album in history was an excruciating attempt at fusing the genre with classical. “Hooked on Classics” was unlistenable. Just a kick drum added to an orchestra. Bump, bump, bump, bump, bump ad infinitum. Shit like that ruined the genre, and may well have turned a lot of people off.

Played once, frisbeed once into the donation pile.

There were plenty of good disco songs, though. Donna Summer, Alicia Bridges, even Blondie made some great music, and in a dance hall with a good light show, it was groovy as you can imagine.
I suppose it DID open some people up to the classics, although not what purists would believe. 🙂

I was a radio DJ for a long time and would get lots of free promotional records from the record companies. The worst was a disco version of Stairway to Heaven. Talk about ruining a classic! But everyone wanted IN on disco for a while. But, with these kinds of remakes, (Hooked and Stairway,) it was enough to start the "disco sucks" movement.

Is nothing sacred? 🤖

Tedeschi Trucks Band apologized to fans Sunday after an online revolt against a tour poster that appears to have been generated by artificial intelligence.

“We would like to apologize to the artist community that we find ourselves in this unfortunate situation,” the band posted on its Instagram account Sunday, following a pair of shows at Red Rocks Amphitheatre on July 26 and 27, where the poster was being sold as an artist-created work. “Going forward we will be refining our review process to prevent this from ever happening again.”

The band added that it will be donating all proceeds from the sale of the poster to Access Galler, a Denver-based, nonprofit art studio that caters to people with disabilities. Tedeschi Trucks Band sells prints of its tour and show posters online for $35-$75, according to its website.

The flap is the latest example of a creative group saying it has been duped by a supposed AI-generated piece of art. Some fans questioned Dead and Company online in May for using a suspected AI poster for its May 18, 2024, concert at The Sphere in Las Vegas.

An Instagram account called AI Cop regularly posts images of suspected AI concert posters
— including the Dead and Company image — with other promotional images approved by Brandi Carlile, The Dead South, System of a Down, Dave Matthews Band, and Primus, as well as festivals such as Alma’s Elevation.

Some have argued that AI robs jobs from real artists and presents an aesthetically awful, creepy alternative that rips off existing art. Others, like Colorado designer Jason Allen, have sued the U.S. Copyright Office for AI-assisted work, asserting that the human element prompts the same legal protections that other creatives and designers enjoy.

That parallels a raft of social media accounts and online services openly offering AI products aimed at concert-poster generation, and a backlash against AI skeptics that paints them as joyless nitpickers.

(Fans did correctly point out that the background in the Tedeschi Trucks poster looks nothing like Red Rocks). The image was created by Brilliant Workshop, which describes itself as an artist collective and design/print studio

Back