HiRez Poll Alphaville - FOREVER YOUNG [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Alphaville - FOREVER YOUNG

• 10: Terrific Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new Blu-Ray Audio edition of the classic album "Forever Young" by Alphaville, which features a Dolby Atmos mix of the album.

(y) :) (n)

81M2XEYoPiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

As pointed out elsewhere, this is not part of the SDE series nor exclusive but I decided to order from Paul all the same. Glad I did.
Likely the fastest delivery ever by SDE.
Less than a week from posting to delivery oversees.

Overall the Blu-Ray is a tad more satisfying than the Apple Music stream. On my system, the low end is tighter and more pronounced. Otherwise, the mix seems to be the same.

It is not the most adventurous Atmos mix and given the nature of synth-pop / new wave music that is disappointing.

It sounds a tad front-centric to me with the discreteness being employed for the more beat oriented synth effects. I thought they under utilized the overheads, which is a shame as the album has lots of simple right channel / left channel bounce backs that might have been much cooler being isolated above.

But maybe a Kraftwerk or Yello type mix would sound too chaotic for these relatively simplistic synth songs?

I am giving this one an 8. The Atmos mix is OK and certainly gives the album added oomph over the stereo mix. The perceived lack of discrete height activity to my ears cost it 2 points.

Packaging is simplistic with the inner booklet containing lyrics and credits from what looks like the 2019 deluxe edition. No direct credits for the Atmos Mix.

The Blu-Ray utilizes the Pure Audio format with the static menu and numbered track options.

Last edited:
Received this one today and gave it a first listen. I'm underwhelmed by this Atmos mix and I wonder if it was AI created (since there is no information regarding who might have done the mix anywhere in the package/booklet). I also found my ears getting fatigued because of the lack of dynamics; constantly loud in my opinion. I'll give it a 7, could have been so much more. To be clear, it isn't terrible, just not that great. If they ever do a similar release for The Breathtaking Blue, I hope they do a much more exciting/interesting Atmos mix.

A little disappointed in this…to my ears, the hit singles (Big In Japan, Forever Young) seemed to be barely mixed in surround…whereas many of the album cuts are far more adventurous & discrete.
Offhand, reminds me of certain reissues from The Band & Simple Minds (I’m sure there are others…)
Is it a desire not to “mess with” the most well known songs?
Limitations with the source tapes?
Either way, a somewhat disappointing experience for the surround fan 🫤

A little disappointed in this…to my ears, the hit singles (Big In Japan, Forever Young) seemed to be barely mixed in surround…whereas many of the album cuts are far more adventurous & discrete.
Offhand, reminds me of certain reissues from The Band & Simple Minds (I’m sure there are others…)
Hit singles huh? I"ve never heard any of the music....so it's all new and exciting to me. lol Well, not really. For the record, I voted a 7. I still like it honestly. The fidelity sounds great to me.

Last edited:
I do recall in some Steven Wilson liner notes somewhere, how the hit songs can sometime have missing master tapes, as they've been sent out to the likes of Top of the Pops, and then never returned. Could be a possibility here, sadly.

Hit singles huh? I"ve never heard any of the music....so it's all new and exciting to me. lol Well, not really. For the record, I voted a 7. I still like it honestly. The fidelity sounds great to me.
I guess I should clarify - they were “hits” on alternative radio - but if that was not your bag, you may have missed them!
I actually think Forever Young may have crossed to Pop to some degree…great song 👍🏼

Reactions: GOS
Frankly, quite surprised that this 1984 release which was quite popular back in the day didn't receive more LOVE! After reading the mediocre reviews I wasn't expecting much when I popped it into my OPPO 205 but WOW, the sound leaped out of my self amped Meridian speakers and traversed the room creating a most extraordinary soundstage ... and sonic BOOM!

And the first thing I noticed: most ATMOS remixes are encoded at a much lower level than either DTS~HD MA 5.1 or even LPCM 5.1 remixes but this one ....I had to lower the output considerably. At 78 dbs, I was literally blown out of my seat and while there wasn't an especially showy use of my side and surround speakers there was more than enough amplitude to satisfy this listener to the point it did bring a wide smile to my face!

WARNER/RHINO continue to AMAZE with their recent spate of Dolby ATMOS/5.1 remixes from older catalogue titles and IMO, Alphaville's FOREVER YOUNG is no exception. If your system can handle it, it is somewhat of a demo disc and will certainly energize your system with techno pop that crowded the dance floors of the mid 80's!

A well deserved 9!

Last edited:
Back