Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*groans*

You are all on top of this far more than myself so please forgive this "check of understanding."

Is this correct:
- the lossless stereo, along with atmos etc, will only be through Apple devices; and
- the lossless stereo etc will not be able to be played on a pc or a web player.

:-/

Context: The Apple library is great; but snowballs chance in hell I'm going down the apple hardware path!

Apple lossless is 48/24 max.

I’m not sure but I suspect Apple lossless files will be protected and only play on an Apple device when logged in to your Apple account.

I can't imagine the lossless stereo not being available on a computer. Atmos, sure.
I found this article - at the bottom of it is a "cheat sheet" of the different formats and what devices they will play on. Interestingly, it indicates that you can play Atmos (or the headphone version of Atmos) on wireless earbuds through an iPhone by adjusting a manual setting, even if your earbuds don't have the H1 or W1 chip. I thought I had read this wasn't possible, but I admit I haven't been keeping up.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/how-to-listen-to-lossless-and-dolby-atmos-on-apple-music/

I still do not have an atmos receiver, but when comparing prices between Apple Music and Qobuz, I may switch next year.
I only dread the same problem I had with Tidal: I do not listen to US Hip Hop/RnB/Soupe ^^ and do not like having play suggestions.
Yeah, and Audirvana will need to support Apple Music.

Apparently today will be some Atmos available...www.engadget.com/amp/apple-music-dolby-atmos-spatial-audio-now-available-174616634.html

I’ll be checking for it after work shortly...stay tuned

Thanks for the heads up, I didnt watch the whole keynote, was able to just watch on hour of it.
But I've signed up for the 3 month trial, and ran a fast search on Dolby Atmos but the very few albums that showed up, they didnt display a special badge, nor they were in Atmos.
I'm running an Apple TV 4K/AVR Receiver and TV. Is that setup okay to being able to play apple music atmos? or do I need to enable something else or use a different hardware? the apple tv 4k has already atmos enabled (on the settings)

Thanks for the heads up, I didnt watch the whole keynote, was able to just watch on hour of it.
But I've signed up for the 3 month trial, and ran a fast search on Dolby Atmos but the very few albums that showed up, they didnt display a special badge, nor they were in Atmos.
I'm running an Apple TV 4K/AVR Receiver and TV. Is that setup okay to being able to play apple music atmos? or do I need to enable something else or use a different hardware? the apple tv 4k has already atmos enabled (on the settings)
Apparently there is conflicting reporting on this. Some reports state ATV4K won’t support Atmos until later in the year and today is only headphones...😢

Apparently there is conflicting reporting on this. Some reports state ATV4K won’t support Atmos until later in the year and today is only headphones...😢
"
That's fucking bollocks. I shouldn't signed in for the trial. Save that for whenever it's available "everywhere" (within their ecosystem)
Thanks for the heads up!

You still would need an AVR also to play the full Atmos through your speakers wouldn't you. I mean hearing Atmos on headphones or some little internet cubes seems like snake oil if you want the full surround Atmos experience.

I signed up again but not seen anything yet either...

This flicked up briefly from the keynote... Mostly the same stuff but a few albums not on Tidal. Beatles - Sgt Pepper/Abbey Road, Taylor Swift - folklore, Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup, Maroon 5, Pearl Jam... But rather bizarrely Space Oddity and Ace of Spades (old 5.1)...? Which have been mixed in 360 Reality Audio! Apple haven't mentioned anything about 360RA?

Guess we'll find out soon enough... If it's not proper Atmos on Apple TV 4K straight away that will be ridiculous.

Apple Atmos.png

Last edited:
I signed up again but not seen anything yet either...

This flicked up briefly from the keynote... Mostly the same stuff but a few albums not on Tidal. Beatles - Sgt Pepper/Abbey Road, Taylor Swift - folklore, Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup, Maroon 5, Pearl Jam... But rather bizarrely Space Oddity and Ace of Spades (old 5.1)...? Which have been mixed in 360 Reality Audio! Apple haven't mentioned anything about 360RA?

Guess we'll find out soon enough... If it's not proper Atmos on Apple TV 4K straight away that will be ridiculous.

View attachment 67797

I see John Lennon Gimme Some Truth and Bob Marley Legend

at least this way we will be able to do a proper A/B comparison to the same album on Tidal and see which sounds better and I'm sure some of you guys will be able to compare waveforms and DR numbers.

Back