Beatles Revolver Box Set (Dolby Atmos Mix available for streaming; No Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beware of what you get when you buy the HDTracks 24/96 download ( not sure about Qobuz)
I paid my bucks yesterday and as I aways do i checked the waveform frequency. I went through the so called remastered 2022 album vs alternate takes and found that the new 14 track mix is lacking some high end . Nothing gets above 30Khz. I know I do not have dog ears but I still like to get what i pay for. Maybe the demix technology has an impact ??
See below 1st Dr. Robert 2022 mix . 2nd Dr. Robert take 7 (No demix used ??)
View attachment 84906

View attachment 84907
I wouldn't worry. The whole purpose of higher sample rates is to give you more samples of the signal at the higher frequencies and to allow for a slower roll-off Low-Pass reconstruction filter on the DAC output, rather than to annoy bats, cats & dogs!

Aren't the mastering the same on the CDs and HDTracks version?

This is the other frustrating part, the 24/96 downloads have used the peak limited mastering found on the CDs whereas the Blu-rays in White, Abbey and LIB have included the 24/96 vinyl cutting master (no peak limiting). All other mastering moves are identical, but why not give the people the more dynamic version for high res downloads even if it's just 0.5~2dB more dynamic range on average?

For example:
DR9 -0.31 dB -11.57 dB 2:18 03-Glass Onion (24/96 download)
DR11 -0.20 dB -13.81 dB 2:18 03-Glass Onion (24/96 Blu-ray)

I see each song can be purchases separately on Apple (2022 MIX) but is this the Atmos mix?

Anyone know for sure?

This is the other frustrating part, the 24/96 downloads have used the peak limited mastering found on the CDs whereas the Blu-rays in White, Abbey and LIB have included the 24/96 vinyl cutting master (no peak limiting). All other mastering moves are identical, but why not give the people the more dynamic version for high res downloads even if it's just 0.5~2dB more dynamic range on average?

For example:
This seems to be the rule rather than the exception nowadays. It is very unfortunate. The $64,000 question is, does it sound better than the CD?

This seems to be the rule rather than the exception nowadays. It is very unfortunate. The $64,000 question is, does it sound better than the CD?
My experience would be sometimes yes, sometimes no.
The HDTracks Van Halen albums are reference.
I guess until they release the Mofi’s?
My recent experience vs the CD’s in Revolver it was a waste of money to purchase the HDTracks.

For example:
I do believe the streaming masters are usually what appears on HDTracks, hence the brickwalling.

I see each song can be purchases separately on Apple (2022 MIX) but is this the Atmos mix?

Anyone know for sure?

If you are looking in the iTunes store where you can purchase tracks, they don't sell Atmos at all so it will be stereo.

If you are using the streaming service they will be Atmos (unless you turn that capability off on your AppleTV, etc. in which case you will get the stereo.

My experience would be sometimes yes, sometimes no.
The HDTracks Van Halen albums are reference.
I guess until they release the Mofi’s?
My recent experience vs the CD’s in Revolver it was a waste of money to purchase the HDTracks.
For peace of mind, I would get the unwatermarked version, which is the HDTracks version, since the mastering is the same.

For example:
I mentioned the same thing yesterday on SHF when someone said they didn't care about not having a Blu-ray because he only had two speakers...

I don't agree with the theory that limited sales of "Get Back" was the reason for not including a Blu-ray with the Atmos mix of "Revolver". This is like comparing apples to oranges, as the Get Back set is not an original Beatles album release. Instead, a true comparison to Sgt Peppers, White Album, Abbey Road, and Let it Be would be a apples to apples comparison. What are the sales of those massive deluxe boxes? Those define the immersive Beatles physical media listener IMO. What is clear is that the lable missed the mark on the Revolver box set.
I’m not sure you can make that judgement unless you know what kind of money they earned, and costs saved, by granting exclusive access to the ATMOS mix on streaming platforms. I understand the frustration felt by certain consumers, but it’s always a money based path to understanding the decision.

I’m not sure you can make that judgement unless you know what kind of money they earned, and costs saved, by granting exclusive access to the ATMOS mix on streaming platforms. I understand the frustration felt by certain consumers, but it’s always a money based path to understanding the decision.
It’s always a money based path to understanding the decision...with total contempt for customers and the general public.

It’s always a money based path to understanding the decision...with total contempt for customers and the general public.
The way they make more money is getting more customers (from the general public) to consume their product. Since the majority of the general public now consumes music by streaming, that’s the market they are going to cater to. Simple.

Do you really think they set out to be contemptible?

Do you really think they set out to be contemptible?
Absolutely. Look at what the major labels have dished out over the decades:

- LP's pressed off-center
- LP's with such a big hump in the outer tracks that the wow was almost unbearable
- Brutally compressed "remastered" CD's (The Loudness Wars)
- Brickwalled "High Resolution" 96/24 downloads

Edit:
- Silverline DVD-A faked into 5.1
- Faked Atmos: There's a whole thread in our forum on this topic.

Absolutely. Look at what the major labels have dished out over the decades:

- LP's pressed off-center
- LP's with such a big hump in the outer tracks that the wow was almost unbearable
- Brutally compressed "remastered" CD's (The Loudness Wars)
- Brickwalled "High Resolution" 96/24 downloads

Edit:
- Silverline DVD-A faked into 5.1
- Faked Atmos: There's a whole thread in our forum on this topic.
I think you are mistaking their profound stupidity and shortsightedness with contempt for you.

It's an interesting hypothesis.
However I don't buy it.
The "Get Back" Blu-Ray was released in July, and the Revolver sets came out in late October, just a few days ago.
In order for Apple to have met that release date for Revolver, decisions regarding content and packaging would have been made 6-9 months ago in order to meet the manufacturing order deadlines.
Therefore I doubt sales of the Get Back Blu-Ray had anything to do with the decisions around Revolver.
Also, pardon the pun, it's Apples to oranges. I'd be surprised if the Get Back documentary out sold any of the box sets with Blu-rays. Pre-orders of Revolver sold out prior to release, though we don't know how many were allocated.

I did buy a copy of the complete works of Bach with 77 CDs in it (if I remember the number correctly) it was slightly less than one dollar per disc. (used)

I am pretty indifferent to the unnecessary junk and even to the books or booklets and extry photographs.

I mostly would have left the Peter Jackson set but it is in 5.1. But I don't disagree with the apples to oranges point.

https://www.billboard.com/music/cha...e-beatles-top-billboard-200-album-1235164993/

Last edited:
I don't agree with the theory that limited sales of "Get Back" was the reason for not including a Blu-ray with the Atmos mix of "Revolver". This is like comparing apples to oranges, as the Get Back set is not an original Beatles album release. Instead, a true comparison to Sgt Peppers, White Album, Abbey Road, and Let it Be would be a apples to apples comparison. What are the sales of those massive deluxe boxes? Those define the immersive Beatles physical media listener IMO. What is clear is that the lable missed the mark on the Revolver box set.
I 100% agree. I've purchased all 4 boxed sets and won't purchase the Revolver box. They blew it. (Also have Gimme Some Truth in Atmos and it's worthy..)

Back