Beatles Revolver Box Set (Dolby Atmos Mix available for streaming; No Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't agree with the theory that limited sales of "Get Back" was the reason for not including a Blu-ray with the Atmos mix of "Revolver". This is like comparing apples to oranges, as the Get Back set is not an original Beatles album release. Instead, a true comparison to Sgt Peppers, White Album, Abbey Road, and Let it Be would be a apples to apples comparison. What are the sales of those massive deluxe boxes? Those define the immersive Beatles physical media listener IMO. What is clear is that the lable missed the mark on the Revolver box set.
Sales of neither the Get Back set nor the other sets - good or bad - likely had little to do with the decision to omit the atmos mix from the Revolver set any more than the sales of prior Stones boxes impacted the decision to omit the Tattoo atmos mix from that box.

The decision was far more likely influenced by long-term financial/product strategy than near-term financial/product strategy.

Just thinking how much fun it could be if Giles or the other “faithful” remixers could make their reverent front-centric mixes then turn off their minds, relax and float downstream and make adventurous mixes. Both versions of the album would be available on a Blu ray or if streaming, one could be labeled “Adventure Mix” or “Irreverent Mix” or “Expanded Mix” or the like. Everyone could be happy!

Just thinking how much fun it could be if Giles or the other “faithful” remixers could make their reverent front-centric mixes then turn off their minds, relax and float downstream and make adventurous mixes. Both versions of the album would be available on a Blu ray or if streaming, one could be labeled “Adventure Mix” or “Irreverent Mix” or “Expanded Mix” or the like. Everyone could be happy!
I think things like this are beginning to appear on the fan produced mixes.

I think things like this are beginning to appear on the fan produced mixes.
As nice as the Atmos mix is (with the front three channels lowered by 3dB), I think that I can do better making my own 5.1 using stems extracted from the new CD and then upmixing using Auro 3D. Demixing technology is improving dramatically as we speak. See post numbers #36, 37, and especially 38 here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/abbey-road-de-mix-technology-discussion.32738/page-2

Last edited:
I would purchase the Atmos tracks digitally but I guess they're unavailable. Only way to listen to them in Atmos is to have an Apple or Tidal (Amazon?) paid streaming service.

For those of you that purchased this box set, did you get a coupon or something to download the Atmos or is it just streaming only? Or, did the Atmos versions not even be any part of this box set?

If it were reasonable, say $10, I would pay to download the Atmos versions say to my Apple library. Other than that, it's blu-ray or nothing.

I am still shocked this is happening. Bizarre.

I didn’t build my system over 40 years to pay for compressed garbage out of a music streaming service. I’ve got SACD’s and surround Blu-ray’s to listen to and, again, can’t believe there is an inability to get revolver in Atmos. Guess I’ll just listen to Abbey Road and PF’s Animals again. I will say one more time this is the stupidest decision I’ve ever seen from the music industry. Ever.

I didn’t build my system over 40 years to pay for compressed garbage out of a music streaming service. I’ve got SACD’s and surround Blu-ray’s to listen to and, again, can’t believe there is an inability to get revolver in Atmos. Guess I’ll just listen to Abbey Road and PF’s Animals again.
😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

I will say one more time this is the stupidest decision I’ve ever seen from the music industry. Ever.

You've got to give them credit...the stupidity bar was already set pretty high.

Deleted post was quoted here.

I changed the capital letters for you, and I don't appreciate this attack on me.
All I was trying to do was clarify the situation some months back so people would not think or anticipate that there would be a Blu-Ray released when there wasn't going to be one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I changed the capital letters for you, and I don't appreciate this attack on me.
All I was trying to do was clarify the situation some months back so people would not think or anticipate that there would be a Blu-Ray released when there wasn't going to be one.
I think highlighting (with Capitals or Bold text, or both?) the lack of Surround/Atmos in a thread title should be the norm, especially if looking on a phone. It is more obvious when using a PC or Tablet due to the larger screens.

I have jumped to purchase a release when looking at a thread on my phone thinking it was a surround release, only to discover later it wasn't, sometimes I don't care and go ahead as I really want it, sometimes I cancel. The highlighting would help.

Folks, complaining to this forum helps nothing. With all complaints, we need to find the correct person to contact and then send nice constructive concerns. "I will buy a bluray" is fine. Money talks.
The Beatles contact is tricky. Parlophone is owned by Warner now, but it seems the Revolver set (and others) were released by Calderstone Productions Limited, which is part of Universal Music Group UK.
This seems to be the email: [email protected]
and the site: Contact us
info on the company: The Beatles and Calderstone Productions Limited

Cheers to the mods!

Strilo Edit: I am going to do something we don't normally do as mods. I edited this post to remove garbage and a veiled attack on a moderator. It goes without saying that this sort of this is unacceptable.
I apologize sincerely for crapping in this thread.
Thank you for cleaning up my mess and not leaving it to embarrass me forever.

I'm sorry you had to see that.
It must have been a hell of a thing to wake up to on a Saturday morning.

Sarcasm is the cheapest and lowest form of humor. I proved that. :(
Certainly missed the target by impugning a well-intentioned effort from a mod.

They say everybody has a purpose in life, even if it's only to serve as a bad example. :eek:
For folks who saw that eyesore before it disappeared, that's all I can offer with my apologies. :censored:

Just speaking generally, if anyone is frustrated, disappointed or indeed upset about something, it can help to share with like-minded people, who are more likely to understand. I think that's an important thing to acknowledge. I do not know what may have been posted, but of course, there ought to be no acceptance of put downs to others etc. :)

Here's a comprehensive review of the Revolver Vinyl box set from Parlogram Youtube site. He provides an excellent, in-depth review comparing the new 2022 mono LP to both the original 1966 and 2014 pressings. He also reviews the stereo mix. There is a brief reference to the Dolby Atmos mix. He acknowledges that it should have been included in the deluxe box and suggests that the omission may have been to keep the price affordable (which it certainly was not). He listened to the Dolby Atmos on Apple Music through his Airpods pro and enjoyed it, commenting that it was more immersive and cohesive. He suggests that while Giles Martin has acknowledged that the omission of the Dolby Atmos mix was a mistake, he suggests that it's probably unlikely that it will be issued in physical format.

Interesting historical perspective & technical notes in this article.
The site is very cluttered with ads, reader view on a browser highly recommended.

https://thequietus.com/articles/32284-the-beatles-revolver-reissue

Abbey Road (then EMI Recording Studios), still operated under strict guidelines enforced by bespectacled white coats, anxiously observing meters going into the red for distortion levels.
Revolver’s team would break rules – microphones were placed perilously close to bass drums, stuck inside the bells of brass instruments, even wrapped in polythene bags and placed in water.
This was an ’in your face’ sound taking you right ‘there’, as 1966 as Michael Caine breaking the fourth wall to address the viewer in Alfie. Within the constraints of four-track recording, they devised techniques and supplied gadgetry that would help The Beatles achieve their vision.

Technical engineer Ken Townsend was vital, his artificial double tracking instantly created a replica of an instrument or voice, milliseconds out of sync, producing a dreamy, thickening effect (‘a cousin not a clone’).
Fairchild Limiters were integral too, compressing Lennon’s voice and Starr’s drums.
To get the hefty bass boost The Beatles hankered for, Studio Two’s huge ‘white elephant’ speakers were rewired into a vast microphone for ‘Paperback Writer’, while the risk of stylus hopping on low-grade record players was minimized through the ATOC (Automatic Transient Overload Control) cutting technique.
Revolver was the product of an entire team working to a fiercely creative degree - an innovation of ‘togetherness’ that echoed the Beatles’ internal dynamics during this period.

Back