BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013 - PART TWO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several members have talked on here about the postponement/cancellation of the "Crime of the Century" HFPA Blu-Ray.

Tonight I went to a lecture that Ken Scott gave at MTSU (my school), and later during the Q&A, the subject of remastering came up, and he said that he is currently working with Universal on a new remaster of "Crime of the Century", which should be out sometime this year for the 40th anniversary.
I think that's when we will see the new HFPA Blu-Ray with the new 2014 Remaster (and hopefully a 5.1 mix!!) :)

Awesome Jasong, my copy is on the way and can't wait to listen and compare with 2002 hybrid and SHM-SACD versions. Do you have any of the other Stones blu-rays and if so, which should I consider getting? Thanks for the tip concerning Beggars.

I'd get them both. the Grrrrr is great cuz you have all 3 cds on one disc. granted the menu sucks. the sound is as good or better as the sacd's were.

the exile is great too. I have found the blu ray audios to be clean crisp and clear.

I'd get them both. the Grrrrr is great cuz you have all 3 cds on one disc. granted the menu sucks. the sound is as good or better as the sacd's were.

the exile is great too. I have found the blu ray audios to be clean crisp and clear.

I've got Grrrrr and agree with you. I do not have Exile because I assumed it was sourced from the same remasters as the deluxe edition. Might have to order it eventually.

I've got Grrrrr and agree with you. I do not have Exile because I assumed it was sourced from the same remasters as the deluxe edition. Might have to order it eventually.

I have gotten someof the blu rays either from amazon canada or ebay. there are two companies on ebay from candad - soundcity beaches and another one. their price is $15.50 plus $2.99 US dollars. thats a bargain for the blu rays. I have never had a problem with them. I have both marleys, breakfast in america, all 3 stones, tommy the who, stevie wonder, marvin gaye,john lennon, derek and dominos layla and the genesisblu rays

I have gotten someof the blu rays either from amazon canada or ebay. there are two companies on ebay from candad - soundcity beaches and another one. their price is $15.50 plus $2.99 US dollars. thats a bargain for the blu rays. I have never had a problem with them. I have both marleys, breakfast in america, all 3 stones, tommy the who, stevie wonder, marvin gaye,john lennon, derek and dominos layla and the genesisblu rays

SoundCity Beaches are my main source and I don't have "Tommy", "Imagine" or "Selling England by the Pound" but might consider getting them soon. At the moment I'm using a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers and assuming that most of you are using MUCH better speakers, I'm hesitant to comment on sound quality for these releases.

Looks like you're missing out on Serge Gainsbourg then. How does the Supertramp sound though? Good? I have it but haven't opened yet since I was thinking about getting the SHM SACD.

Looks like you're missing out on Serge Gainsbourg then. How does the Supertramp sound though? Good? I have it but haven't opened yet since I was thinking about getting the SHM SACD.

Cupboy, If you don't mind me replying, I think "Breakfast in America" sounds great. I'm impressed with the treble and bass and even at high volume I couldn't hear any distortion. Also wanted to mention that I'm finding most of the Stones hybrids with and without certificates for under $20 used and most in mint condition all around.

i remember when I lived in Spokane in 1974 , going to Eastern and playing the first ted nugent album as loud as possible. lived in brownes addition

That was during the world expo. I also went to Eastern in physics. About 15 years later. Any clues about a 5.1 for Supertramp?

That was during the world expo. I also went to Eastern in physics. About 15 years later. Any clues about a 5.1 for Supertramp?

we can dream that crime of the century will be 5.1- it will probably be 2 channel. breakfast in america sounds wow. the clarinet seems to float in space when you hear it.

my office was on the fair site - in what had been the wash state pavillion. i majored in urban planning at eastern

HELLO YELLOW BRICK ROAD..!!!!! :wave

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB
Playing it through for the first time in Stereo...

Observation 1.) The Stereo is not immediately bright and it is not loud, it can be cranked. What a relief..!!!

Observation 2.) Bass is incredible. Rich, full of warmth and depth but not overblown.

Observation 3.) No ear-piercing treble. WOW! at last! cymbals sound like cymbals and not like crisp packets.. drums generally sound better than I've ever heard them on digital disc, they have a real palpable texture.. wonderful. Strings in "I've Seen That Movie Too" shimmer but aren't strident.

Observation 4.) Mid-bass seems more fulsome and detailed than I remember either the DJM CD or MFSL sounding but I will be comparing this new disc to every other CD/SACD/DVD version I have presently to be sure it's not the old memory playing tricks.

if you hated the Stereo on the SACD I think you are going to love this! I think Universal finally got it right.

Of course there will always be people who prefer the MFSL or the DJM CDs but for anyone not wanting to go the expense of the MFSL or hassle of tracking down a DJM CD and who has a Blu-ray player, this is a complete no-brainer.

I haven't tried the 5.1, as I expect it'll be just like the old SACD but I'll give it a play later to make comparisons for QQ, I'm enjoying the Stereo too much at the minute to be honest :eek:

I'm going to play this through many times before I make a final assessment but on the basis of one complete listen-thru, I'm going to stick my neck out and say this Stereo presentation sounds absolutely superb. I'm shocked and relieved to say, I was fearing the worst.

FWIW, I am pretty familiar with this recording, this Blu-ray marks my 8th digital disc version of this album.. 1986 DJM CD2 (821 747-2), Gus Dudgeon 1995 remaster (528 159-2), MFSL Ultradisc II (UDCD 526), Japanese PaperSleeve (w/Gus' '95 remaster), 2003 2 x SACD Deluxe Edition (981 320-5), 2004 DVD-Audio (BOOO2307-19), 2014 Super Deluxe Set, 2014 HFPA Blu-ray.

Mine just turned up too. I also went for the box set. The book itself is amazing and the content looks very enjoyable. I'm sorely tempted to go for the vinyl soon as I'm having a bit of a rekindled love affair with that format at the moment ;)

10015089_10152356894760499_1710758489_n.jpg

Back