BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013 - PART TWO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, lay off the bong tokes or the liquor. HFPA is good for what it is; which is to say they are IMHO half-assed trying to promote hidef music with very little real work or investment as proven by the fact there there is no new mixed surround material. But to say that dvda and sacd needs to die is a reach and just plain drinking the koolaid. Sorry for the candor.

Dude, no apology needed for your candor. I appreciate the honesty. Alas, I am quite sober, I'm too busy workin for the man to do the things you mentioned. Ah...to be young & stupid again... Getting back to business:

I bet you were one of those analog LaserDisc fanboys who predicted(wrongly) that DVD video would destroy the video business.... ;)

I surely didn't mean to offend the people who chose to spend thousands of dollars on SACD & DVD Audio discs (instead of investing in their 401Kplans), but ya can't change the laws of economics: Rule Number One: Customers like standards for their entertainment(audio&video) purchases.

Like I said: I love my SACDs & DVD-A discs and I do have a few..... But I know for the betterment of the 5.1 community we need one standard for 5.1 delivery or surround music will stay a tiny fragment of the market.

With Universal's Pure Audio campaign you seem to see the glass as half-empty. I see it half-full. The prices of speakers & hardware are so much cheaper these days, 5.1 is the next logic step for Joe SixPack. That step will never be taken with 4 or 5 different multi-channel formats to package & sell a product.

Do keep in mind that Universal's attempt is the first time we have seen something in bulk. Prior 5.1 remixes have come out a few at a time or a specific artist decides to remix his work. If Universal has any success here then the two other music conglomerates must follow and we will have a full blown 5.1 market with more titles that FredBlue has $$$ to spend!

Even if Universal's attempt fails at lease one of the the big three conglomerates is trying to embrace 5.1 music.

Oh yeah....

1973 - The Who - Quadrophenia - complete recording on PureAudio BluRay.

Lie I said:

All Hail PureAudio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time will tell...

^^
Standards are fine and good in theory, but 5.1 hidef will never take off as a standard format, period. Be it blu-Ray audio like HFPA, sacd, or what was dvd-audio, 5.1 hidef is and will always be a niche market for people like us on this forum. That is why your desire for sacd and dvd-audio needing to go away is just faulty logic IMHO. I never owned laserdisc but do own a boatload of sacd and dvd-audio discs that I'll cherish. I also own plenty of blu-ray concert and blu-ray audio discs and will cherish those as well when they become "obsolete" like the laserdisc. I'm just glad we have a company like Oppo that makes universal players that plays every format currently available. Hopefully they will continue to make universal players that support the currently available formats along with the next new format that will eventually replace blu-ray.

The future unfortunately is downloadable streaming files in whatever configuration. Books will also be the way of the dodo bird one day. Such is progress and technology.

My 401k is fine thank you. My glass is always half full as well. I look forward to previously unreleased new blu-ray audio instead of re-treads. I'm hopeful for The Killers' "Hot Fuss," Roger Waters' "Amused to Death," Pink Floyd's "The Wall," anything done by Steven Wilson......basically new 5.1 in whatever format. I drink the 5.1 koolaid non-format specific.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Grace Jones Nightclubbing announced. seems like the guy from Universal whom Paul Sinclair interviewed earlier this year may have listened. the Grace Jones blu ray that was announced has a bunch of bonus cuts on it.

Anyone heard this one? Keen to know what its like....

Quick question, and I do apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere in the forum, but does anybody know for certain if the George Michael Symphonica blu-ray release has a surround track and if so, any reviews? Thanks

Quick question, and I do apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere in the forum, but does anybody know for certain if the George Michael Symphonica blu-ray release has a surround track and if so, any reviews? Thanks

Stereo only I'm afraid. Its nothing special either, soundwise.

Yes, old Tesla is still steamin about his direct current method not being adapted by JP Morgan & General Electric!

Erm, that was Edison, Tesla was in fact the happy chappy in that war.

Useless fact no. 789 - In his bid to get DC current accepted Edison commissioned the invention of the electric chair :yikes powered by AC it would demonstrate how dangerous this medium was so strengthening the case for general adoption of DC.

Any more news on Quadrophenia 5.1 anyone?

Has anyone got an opinion on the Sex Pistols Blu Ray Audio? Did anyone buy it?

Dear God in Heaven,

How can you possible go from Quadrophenia to The Sex Pistols? :mad:@: :yikes :howl

The Britts will never cease to amaze me. :rolleyes:

Who bout Who's Next in 5.1? (y)

@Colsky, me China... I think I just gave you my opinion on the Sex Pistols...

Dear God in Heaven,

How can you possible go from Quadrophenia to The Sex Pistols? :mad:@: :yikes :howl

Ha! I remember hearing God Save the Queen for the first time and being pleased that it reminded me of the Who!

Dear God in Heaven,

Yep, we're so open minded! I was never a big punk fan, but I always had a soft spot for The Sex Pistols album. I watched a documentary on TV about it the other day and this reminded me that there were a lot of good guitar riffs on that album. I always thought though that the original album lacked power and sounded too lightweight. So I wondered what the new blu ray audio version sounded like.

In my young English opinion, Quadrophenia to The Sex Pistols is less of a jump than Quadrophenia to Elton John :spot

Back