Bjork Lossless Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do we know how many albums there will be yet?
My best guess is that it will contain:
Debut (previously released in 5.1 in the Surrounded Set)
Post (Surrounded Set)
Homogenic (Surrounded Set)
Selmasongs (Surrounded Set)
Vespertine (Surrounded Set and standalone SACD)
Medulla (Surrounded Set and Standalone Discs)
Drawing Restraint #9 (Surrounded Set)
Volta (Standalone Disc)
Biophilia (first to not have a surround release)
Vulnicura (Surround available in VR App)
Utopia (Surround via a museum exhibit)
Fossora (Atmos via streaming)

I could see some alternate versions like Vulnicura Strings and potentially Vesptertine Live and Voltaic, both of which have standalone 5.1 releases showing up… but the ones I’m “sure of” if its a “complete catalogue” set is those 12 albums

My best guess is that it will contain:
Debut (previously released in 5.1 in the Surrounded Set)
Post (Surrounded Set)
Homogenic (Surrounded Set)
Selmasongs (Surrounded Set)
Vespertine (Surrounded Set and standalone SACD)
Medulla (Surrounded Set and Standalone Discs)
Drawing Restraint #9 (Surrounded Set)
Volta (Standalone Disc)
Biophilia (first to not have a surround release)
Vulnicura (Surround available in VR App)
Utopia (Surround via a museum exhibit)
Fossora (Atmos via streaming)

I could see some alternate versions like Vulnicura Strings and potentially Vesptertine Live and Voltaic, both of which have standalone 5.1 releases showing up… but the ones I’m “sure of” if its a “complete catalogue” set is those 12 albums

when was a utopia surround mix at a museum?

I'm not sure about this, as I can't find the reference I read a few weeks back, but I was under the impression that to qualify for Apple Music Dolby Atmos they need to be new mixes. They can't just submit the old 5.1 masters, as there are inherently different deliverables required for Dolby Atmos.

Maybe if there's an automatic way to map 5.1 to Dolby Atmos that would count, but even then Atmos is quite different as each sound object needs to be positioned in the stage. I guess it depends what masters/source files they have for the 5.1 mixes.

In other news, I've been listening to my own multi-channel 5.1 rips of the first 4 albums, uploaded to Apple Music. Vespertine is a good immersive mix, but the others are less so compared to the best immersive new/recent releases.

Ideally, I'm expecting something markedly better than the old 5.1 DVD/SACD mixes.

I'm not sure about this, as I can't find the reference I read a few weeks back, but I was under the impression that to qualify for Apple Music Dolby Atmos they need to be new mixes. They can't just submit the old 5.1 masters, as there are inherently different deliverables required for Dolby Atmos.
I'd be genuinely surprised if they release physical editions with them labeled "Atmos" on streaming, but are actually 5.1 mixes. I know there are some 5.1 mixes labelled as Atmos on streaming services, but I haven't heard of a concurrent physical release that's 5.1 and being labelled "Atmos" on streaming. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not really clear what you're asking or questioning.

Dolby Atmos is different than trad 5.1, so they can't just use the old mixes.
They would have to remaster them in Dolby Atmos format.

I say this to address @PurpleMoustache who suggests they may just use the old mixes.

I say this to address @PurpleMoustache who suggests they may just use the old mixes.
Aren't there some 5.1 mixes on streaming labelled as Atmos, like the 5.1 mix of Outkast's Stankonia? So, theoretically, couldn't they put the 5.1 mixes on streaming, labelling it "Atmos"?

Aren't there some 5.1 mixes on streaming labelled as Atmos, like the 5.1 mix of Outkast's Stankonia? So, theoretically, couldn't they put the 5.1 mixes on streaming, labelling it "Atmos"?
We've probably all heard an Atmos mix that uses the overhead channels so minimally--or not at all--that it could be (or might as well be) 5.1. I know I've remarked upon several such mixes, both classical and pop/rock, on the listening thread over the past year, although I couldn't name any particular titles from memory. Stankonia, however, is one of the legacy 4.0 or 5.1 mixes that are properly marked as "Dolby Audio" rather than "Dolby Atmos"--or at least it was when it first appeared.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ming-on-apple-music-in-5-1-dolby-audio.31315/
https://spatialaudiodb.com/ (click the "Dolby Audio" tab)

Last edited:

Ah, I wasn’t thinking that they might use the old mixes, just pointing out what albums had been in surround before. I’d assume they’d be doing new Atmos mixes for each, though it’s certainly a possibility that they put the old 5.1 in an Atmos wrapper (see the Suzanne Ciani live quad release, which is a pre-existing quad release in an Atmos wrapper)

Thanks both, very interesting! I really do hope they've been taking all this time to do it the best possible way.

1000046050.gif

any news on this @Mr. Afternoon ?

Back