Bronski Beat - The Age of Consent 40th Anniversary SDE Blu-Ray #26 (Oct. 18, 2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious: This release and others, how are the instrumentals versions taking off? Lots of people liking them?
For me the instrumentals are a novelty, maybe listening once or not at all. And sometimes, I prefer to the vocals version? So all over the place for me personally.
If someone was to ask me should we add or leave off, I would say leave off. But on the other hand a Blu Ray can handle the content, so why not.
I guess as you can tell I am all over the place on the topic, wonder if others also have opinion's?

It's an excellent cover of what's become a timeless classic. Technically, 'I Talk To The Wind' predates the King Crimson debut by a year. Hard to believe demo's of it were recorded by Judy Dyble and Giles, Giles & Fripp 56 years ago in 1968.

The rest of Marc Almonds' covers album I'm Not Anyone sounds pretty terrific as well.
One of my very favorite Mark Almond singles:

Curious: This release and others, how are the instrumentals versions taking off? Lots of people liking them?
For me the instrumentals are a novelty, maybe listening once or not at all. And sometimes, I prefer to the vocals version? So all over the place for me personally.
If someone was to ask me should we add or leave off, I would say leave off. But on the other hand a Blu Ray can handle the content, so why not.
I guess as you can tell I am all over the place on the topic, wonder if others also have opinion's?
For me it depends on a few factors. An i a big fan of the band/album already? Is there enough cool stuff going on sonically or is the mix very crowded that I'm really gaining new insight into the musical tracks by listening to these Instrumental mixes? If so then yes I will listen to the instrumental mixes quite a bit. The ABC and Def Leppard Pyromania releases are two where I feel the instrumental mixes are essential.

I love them. Especially if they are also in surround. I often play them immediately after listening to the album.

Paul provided no evidence of the conversation, so take this with a grain of salt:

IMG_1915.jpeg

Paul provided no evidence of the conversation, so take this with a grain of salt:

View attachment 107812

A massive grain of salt given this is former QQ-er keenly, clearly as much of a misanthrope as ever and still harassing people frrom the industry via social media.

View attachment 107812
EDIT: Please, see the next message for the addition by the user 'sideofham'

Paul Michael added this message from his exchange with David Wrench to the comments section (FB).

"Hi David. Are the Bronski mixes you did immersive using all speakers, or like the Blur ones with nothing in the rears? I want to know before I preorder please, . cheers Paul Fri 12:29"

David Wrench: "You basically want a gimmicky mix with stuff flying around and panned to the back?"

A laughing mocking emoji was added and he blocked me.

Paul Michael added this message from his exchange with David Wrench to the comments section (FB).

"Hi David. Are the Bronski mixes you did immersiveusing all speakers, or like the Blur ones with nothing in the rears? I want to know before I preorder please, . cheers Paul Fri 12:29"

David Wrench: "You basically want a gimmicky mix with stuff flying around and panned to the back?"

A laughing mocking emoji was added and he blocked me.

Here's an actual exchange between the two of them. Not sure if it's a different exchange to the one that he's referred to there, but...

bronski.png

That settles it. I haven't heard the Blur Atmos, but based on the controversy in this thread, I will now wait for some forum member reviews of the new Bronski Beat disc before I commit to buying it.

That settles it. I haven't heard the Blur Atmos, but based on the controversy in this thread, I will now wait for some forum member reviews of the new Bronski Beat disc before I commit to buying it.
Operating in this manner can be difficult because there are no guarantees that the Bronski blu-ray will be available by the time the first customers receive the product. The blu-ray will be released in October and the pre-order window closes next Saturday. Some SDE products are available after the release, but not nearly all.

I think this is a good deal in any case. There's still a lot of content here.

Last edited:
We've had a comparatively huge sampling of synth-pop from SDE, but I'd like to see some love for post-punk/new wave/goth bands. Modern English, The Cure, Sisters Of Mercy, New Order, Siouxie and the Banshees, Icehouse, Magazine, Peter Murphy, The Fixx, Thompson Twins, etc., etc., etc. Depeche Mode in Atmos? Take my money! It's not like there isn't plenty of gloomy stuff to choose from. ;)

There's not a whole lot of that kind of music in surround. There's of course the Depeche Mode and Nick Cave stuff (both of which are goth-adjacent, if you like....) but those mixes are from the early days and aren't particularly immersive. Love And Rockets' Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven got a very nice 5.1 mix that you really should check out if you haven't already.

Operating in this manner can be difficult because there are no guarantees that the Bronski blu-ray will be available by the time the first customers receive the product. The blu-ray will be released in October and the pre-order window closes next Saturday. Some SDE products are available after the release, but not nearly all.

I think this is a good deal in any case. There's still a lot of content here.
I completely agree with you that some SDE Blu-rays quickly sold out in pre-order, but in this case I am willing to roll the dice. If there was confirmation that the new Blu includes a surround mix of the original (9 minute) 12 inch single version of "Smalltown Boy" then this would be an instant purchase for me. As of now, that has not been confirmed. Personally, IMO, I find the other various remixes (usually around 6 minutes in length) to be inferior. As always, YMMV. If early forum reviews indicate that this is a sonic home run, and it is still available, I will definitely pick it up.

The trailer for the movie “Love Lies Bleeding@ has music from this very Bronski Beat album! It’s not enough that my five-year-old grandson every day request it so he can sing and beat with it in my car. Now I turn on max streaming and here comes Bronski as well!

I used some restraint and passed on this one ending my SDE streak. With Rhino releasing new quadio and Atmos media and Atmos only discs trickling in from mainstream artists it can get very expensive very quickly!
You may be wise. I think a lot of us have our fingers crossed this isn't an Atmos dud. :(
(Same with the upcoming Bowie one.)

Back