Camel – Air Born: The MCA & Decca Years 1973-1984 (box set with 5 albums in 5.1 on blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Available on all streaming platforms now.

Pretty different mix. Not "Wilson" style in any means. Different volume sections, instruments position in the stereo image, panning and so on. Even more noticeable on headphones and for this album which the original have a distinct range of delays, flangers, reverbs, phasers, echo and other analog effects and tricks that maybe impossible to reproduce as a carbon copy. The band was very experimental in studio and Rhett Davies a genius engineer and producer (his work with Eno, Roxy Music and King Crimson are top notch).

The Stereo Remix offers another prism on the things. I'm glad Stephen did this way and not copy of the original mixes, because in my humble opinion nobody can improve whats it's already perfect. Stereo Remixes only appeals and are a true revelation when the original recording/mix is poor, not the Camel albums. I can't point out any Camel album with bad recording engineering or mix.

Stephen is a great audio engineer, but nobody can re-paint Monalisa or the Sistine Chapel. Such a inglorious task.

Sure the albums in 5.1 mixes are different beasts and can bring joy to lot of people.

Then, Stephen W Tayler stereo remixes are welcome. They don't substitute the original mixes. For me it's just another experience. One more way to listen. Conglatulations to Stephen.

Available on all streaming platforms now.

Pretty different mix. Not "Wilson" style in any means. Different volume sections, instruments position in the stereo image, panning and so on. Even more noticeable on headphones and for this album which the original have a distinct range of delays, flangers, reverbs, phasers, echo and other analog effects and tricks that maybe impossible to reproduce as a carbon copy. The band was very experimental in studio and Rhett Davies a genius engineer and producer (his work with Eno, Roxy Music and King Crimson are top notch).

The Stereo Remix offers another prism on the things. I'm glad Stephen did this way and not copy of the original mixes, because in my humble opinion nobody can improve whats it's already perfect. Stereo Remixes only appeals and are a true revelation when the original recording/mix is poor, not the Camel albums. I can't point out any Camel album with bad recording engineering or mix.

Stephen is a great audio engineer, but nobody can re-paint Monalisa or the Sistine Chapel. Such a inglorious task.

Sure the albums in 5.1 mixes are different beasts and can bring joy to lot of people.

Then, Stephen W Tayler stereo remixes are welcome. They don't substitute the original mixes. For me it's just another experience. One more way to listen. Conglatulations to Stephen.
Thank you! The main reason for revisiting these is for the surround interpretation. It just seems that there is always the option of creating the new stereo version at the same time. So an enhanced or alternative take, but never intended to replace the fabulous originals!

I've just had a shipping notice from Rarewaves :SB . I might receive it Thursday I guess. Hopefully, as I'm going away for the weekend, and if I'm out the postman is likely to just leave it lying outside my front door for the weekend!
If I know something important is going to arrive when i’m out I ask one of my neighbours if they can take it in and leave a note for the postie asking then to take it to them 👍

I pre-ordered mine in April. Since then, the retailer I used announced the box set at double the price. I contacted them to ask if they plan to honor my pre-order and they say that Universal has promised them that they will honor that price, but that they don’t know when it can be shipped. Meanwhile, the other “version” (same product, twice the price) is announced to be released on Nov 24th 😠

Looks like jpc.de won't be shipping until the release date - it's orderable again for a pretty good price, but seemingly with new restrictions:

Item has not been released yet, probable delivery date is 24.11.2023.You can order the title now. It will be dispatched to you as soon as it is available.
This item is for shipping within the EU only.
EUR 159.99*

Limited order quantity: Only 1 item per customer!

Hoping to see my ancient order status change from 'open' to 'shipped' soon!

Looks like jpc.de won't be shipping until the release date - it's orderable again for a pretty good price, but seemingly with new restrictions:

Item has not been released yet, probable delivery date is 24.11.2023.You can order the title now. It will be dispatched to you as soon as it is available.
This item is for shipping within the EU only.
EUR 159.99*

Limited order quantity: Only 1 item per customer!

Hoping to see my ancient order status change from 'open' to 'shipped' soon!
Eh....for those of us who ordered early, when it was listed as pre-order...hope they still plan on sending to US.

Eh....for those of us who ordered early, when it was listed as pre-order...hope they still plan on sending to US.
I still have faith that they will honor our orders. The price we paid when the pre-order window was opened the second time (several weeks ago), wasn't that much better than the prices some are paying now. Plus they already have our money. I would think they'd like to avoid having to go through the refund process.

I still have faith that they will honor our orders ... Plus they already have our money. I would think they'd like to avoid having to go through the refund process.
It's strange that it might come down to, as you say, having faith that a company will honour things like this. I guess it comes down to the consumer laws in the relevant company, but I know in Oz that companies are legally obliged to stick to their advertised price of a product; they can't just cancel an item and refund the money that's been pre-paid because they made a mistake in the first place.

It would appear mine is arriving tomorrow
IMG_8417.png

I'm so ready to hear how these blu-rays sound, won't see/hear mine until December, hoping for the very best!

Back