Devin Townsend "PowerNerd" (2CD+BD-A w/Atmos) 10/25/2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blu-ray authoring is very poor I must say. Initial Menu is a very bare/poor screen where you can only select tracks and audio setup. The song Powernerd plays in the background, in stereo. Not even the effort of having a dedicated music for the menus, maybe taken from the extra tracks of the second CD. Oh, those extra tracks are not present in the Blu-ray, not even in HiRes stereo. They could (should) have included those extra tracks, a dedicated 5.1 audio mix, maybe a couple of videoclips or a brief "making of" of the album or a simple interview with Devin. And the commentary version doesn't appear here. Songs have static images and the title and that's it.

That's disappointing, considering that for instance the blu-ray of his 2019 album Empath was quite impressive content-wise.

I had my usual couple of listens in stereo to get familiar with the music and I'll hopefully find some spare time to check out the Atmos mix (from Apple Music) later today and see if it's worth investing in the physical release. I have an Atmos system (7.2.4) and I'll report after listening.

I have to say I wasn't impressed with the music. Not truly disappointed, either - it's Devin, sounds like Devin, and I those first two spins were enjoyable, but for his own standards I found most of the songs fairly simple, unadventurous and kinda samey, albeit with a pleasant sound to these ears. A good thing about it is that, as with every new release or re-release we've got from him in the last 5-6 years, it's not badly brickwalled. The stereo mix shows a relatively healthy (for modern standards) DR 9. Devin had his DR 6-7 era for a long time (2002-2018 or so) but he's consistently around 9-10 as of lately.

So I listened to the Atmos mix on Apple Music (7.2.4 system as mentioned in the post above). It's a mixed bag. Generally, I'd say it's a good mix, very good at certain moments, but not without caveats. It's discrete, it sounds absolutely huge and immersive... when it does, but it's inconsistent. Being Devin's first foray into Atmos mixing, it's fair to say he hasn't quite mastered the skill yet in my opinion.

So first the bad stuff:

- Almost all vocals, guitars, bass and drums are exclusively restricted to the front L/R speakers. The heavy stuff sounds pretty much right this way, but when it's a softer section that isn't supported by synth/electronic work, it's sounds way too small and thin in the whole soundscape. I'm not talking about dynamics here; soft/loud dynamics are great, but it isn't about that, but about certain soft sections not sounding immersive at all, devoid of any sense of space.
- He almost never uses the other channels for backing/harmony vocals. I think this is a mistake. Those trademark, bigger-than-life choruses would sound even fuller had he used the side, rear and height channels for vocal work as well. Instead, he only put synths and (sometimes) some reverb from the vocals at those moments.
- Sometimes it sounds like he got it totally right and then, in a comparable musical section, he plays it a lot safer and you wonder why the mixing choices seem inconsistent from track to track. It reminds me of Riverside's Id.Entity's Atmos and 5.1 mixes in this respect, although Devin's mix is better IMO.

The good:

- When it sounds good, it sounds really good, which makes you think he can truly deliver with more experience.
- Even in its safer moments the mix is definitely discrete, and especially the keyboard work (which resides mostly in the side and rear speakers, with some additional support from the heights) sounds a lot more detailed and easier to appreciate than in the stereo mix. The occasional swirling electronic sounds are cool and stand out easily. Center channel is seldom used, expect for a few vocal phrases here and there and some instrumental effect/short solo, but sounds good to me when it happens.
- His signature "wall of sound" is made for Atmos. Once you get to hear his music like this, even if it's a somewhat flawed mix, you can't really go back to stereo without the impression you're missing a lot. So it's definitely a better listening experience overall than the stereo - just about the same at times, better or a lot better most of the time.

The music is growing on me. I still think it isn't really brilliant for Devin's standards but it's a good one.

Again, this are first impressions based on lossy streaming Atmos, never intended to be a serious/reliable review.

Back