Did Sony and Philips make the right call with the cd format being 44.1/16?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did Sony and Philips make the right call with the cd format being 44.1/16?

• Yes and it still holds up perfectly today

Votes: 31 64.6%
  • It was good for the time however it is dated now

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • No the cd format shouldn't have even been considered until digital audio was more mature

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
Philips planned to use 14 bits for their DAD system, Sony wanted 16 bits.

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/History/SonyHistory/2-08.html

https://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/new-technology-digital-audio-disc-march-1982/
^^^
Philips-Sony C-DAD disc is capable of playing one hour of stereophonic music per side, and can also hold up to four channels of audio on a side with reduced playing time.

(I haven't read the history of the various DAD systems for quite a while, these links were an interesting refresher about that time in the late 1970s and early 1980s, I believe the 1981 Philips CD Brochure linked in the 2nd link is the one that states that discrete quad was an option on the CD)

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
I was lucky as at the time of launch, I had a friend (Graham) who worked for a British hi-fi company called Laskys who were located on the ground floor of Nottingham's council house building (having moved from the Victoria Centre). I was in the store when Philips launched their CD100 player.

It all got a bonkers when the Philips reps began demonstrating the robustness of the technology by inviting people to write on the surface of the discs and pour liquid over them. I remember seeing a bloke standing on one of the discs and spinning around on it, and to everyone's amazement including the Philips reps, it played... A few minutes later he bought the first player of the day, most probably the first player in Nottinghamshire!

It was around a year later when I bought my first CD player, the Philips CD101...

Back