Dutton Vocalion: What's Next?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a 2 SACD set of Charley Pride quads...?

I'd be down for that. There's lots to pick from but I'd wonder if there may be issues with regards to the estate. I've heard rumor that's also the reason tying up anything from Jerry Reed and probably Waylon Jennings as well. But I agree; there's still lots to mine from the RCA catalog if everybody could get their poop in a group!

Make mine on BluRay please, SACD's are still too big a PITA to deal with. ;)

I'd be down for that. There's lots to pick from but I'd wonder if there may be issues with regards to the estate. I've heard rumor that's also the reason tying up anything from Jerry Reed and probably Waylon Jennings as well. But I agree; there's still lots to mine from the RCA catalog if everybody could get their poop in a group!

Jerry Reed
Waylon Jennings
Dolly Parton
Charley Pride
The Youngbloods
Jose Feliciano
Harry Belafonte
These are all good, and if I may add Nilsson and Blue Oyster Cult to the running list. Oh hell with it, I’d take Volunteers by the Airplane too.

There are currently two titles I need to order from DV, I’d love to have six more discs to round it out to a nice 8 disc order. Standing by with credit card #, and in a big spending mood lately. It’s like I want all the physical media I can get in surround, I don’t care, I don’t care what the cost!

Jerry Reed
Waylon Jennings
Dolly Parton
Charley Pride
The Youngbloods
Jose Feliciano
Harry Belafonte

One that struck me the other day was Walter Murphy's "A Fifth of Beethoven". Who would control that today? The original stereo LP was put out on Private Stock but the Quad tape was only available through your local Ford Dealership as a white-label cartridge.... reproduced by RCA! So, would that particular 4-channel master tape still be in a Sony vault somewhere?

Discogs has this note:
"RCA's last quadraphonic release of popular music, this was only available via RCA Music Service mail-order."
That year would be 1979.

And Wikipedia says of Private Stock:
"The label closed down when (founder Larry) Uttal moved to London; he later returned to New York, where he died in 1993. His son Jai Uttal owned the rights to the catalogue after his father's death, however according to him:
The fate of the private stock masters has really been a mystery for me since my dad died. Theoretically I control the catalogue but I have no master tapes or vinyl and have no idea where they might be. Strange, isn't it? Warm wishes."

Discogs says that the lease on the storage of the tapes expired and the tapes went to auction. I guess none of these will ever be found. 😥

Discogs has this note:
"RCA's last quadraphonic release of popular music, this was only available via RCA Music Service mail-order."
That year would be 1979.

And Wikipedia says of Private Stock:
"The label closed down when (founder Larry) Uttal moved to London; he later returned to New York, where he died in 1993. His son Jai Uttal owned the rights to the catalogue after his father's death, however according to him:
The fate of the private stock masters has really been a mystery for me since my dad died. Theoretically I control the catalogue but I have no master tapes or vinyl and have no idea where they might be. Strange, isn't it? Warm wishes."

Discogs says that the lease on the storage of the tapes expired and the tapes went to auction. I guess none of these will ever be found. 😥

That quote from Jai Uttal is from an email I sent to him years back. I can't remember I posted it, the old BSN forum maybe.

It’s not like we are short of 70’s quad mixes to listen to lately, but I’m hoping that DV has a few things in pop and rock coming soon and that those 360RA streams are not at all in the way, nor are factored in when they decide what should be offered up next.

Michael D has heard all of our suggestions, seen the want lists too.

Those O’Jays and Isley Brothers quads were certainly top choices, Ted’s Free For All really hit the spot too. I want another rock, rock & roll, or a hard rock title now please. Even if Phoebe Snow is included I won’t complain, I’m just putting out more positivity, and visualizing that summer is almost here and the time seems right!

Last edited:
It’s not like we are short of 70’s quad mixes to listen to lately, but I’m hoping that DV has a few things in pop and rock coming soon and that those 360RA streams are not at all in the way, nor are factored in when they decide what should be offered up next.

Michael D has heard all of our suggestions, seen the want lists too.

Those O’Jays and Isley Brothers quads were certainly top choices, Ted’s Free For All really hit the spot too. I want another rock, rock & roll, or a hard rock title now please. So if Phoebe Snow is included I won’t complain, I’m just putting out more positivity, and visualizing that summer is almost here and time seems right!
I know it's kinda lame of me compared to what everyone else seems to want, but I wouldn't mind those Barry Manilow quads to get some DV treatment (if the tapes exist and if MD has access to them.) They would fit right in with DVs repertoire like Ray Conniff, Henry Mancini, Mac Davis, Helen Reddy, Art Garfunkel, etc.

I know it's kinda lame of me compared to what everyone else seems to want, but I wouldn't mind those Barry Manilow quads to get some DV treatment (if the tapes exist and if MD has access to them.) They would fit right in with DVs repertoire like Ray Conniff, Henry Mancini, Mac Davis, Helen Reddy, Art Garfunkel, etc.
I’d settle for Tony Orlando & Dawn in quad just to be reassured that Arista Records is a DV possibility at this point.

Curtis Mayfield's Curtom catalog was bought by WEA in 1996 so all reissues are through Rhino and therefore this is a question for @ForagingRhino .

Whether the quad masters still exist is another question altogether - when Mayfield still owned his own tapes he stored them in his basement, and many of them were apparently destroyed in a fire sometime after the 1990 stage mishap that resulted in his paralysis, according to a quote from his daughter in his biography:

"Altheida bore much of the brunt of caring for my father. Home healthcare workers came to ease her burden, but she still worked herself to the bone. One night, exhausted, she put a candle near the wall and forgot it. The wallpaper ignited. Soon, flames engulfed the second floor of the house. They had to evacuate fast, wheeling Dad beneath billows of black smoke and deadly fire. He watched his home burn, knowing if no one had been there to save him, he would’ve burned with it.

Dad kept his old master tapes in the basement, and when the fire-hoses extinguished the blaze, they also doused some of the most famous recordings in soul music history. I went back and salvaged everything I could. Some tapes survived, and I began the process of digitally remastering them, culminating in more than fifteen reissues from the Curtom catalog on compact disc. Many tapes, however, we lost forever.
"

There are still a few of Mayfield's lesser-known '70s/early '80s albums that have never had a digital release from a tape source. Charly Records in the UK seemed to have some kind of grey-market rights to the catalog but no access to master tapes - their releases were either digital clones of US and Japanese releases, or needledrops of crappy-sounding LPs.

The phenomenal-sounding 2019 box set Keep On Keeping On: Studio Albums 1970-1974 is the first time that Future Shock (the better of the two Curtom quads mix-wise) has ever had a digital reissue from a master tape, so maybe there's hope that the quad mix exists as well. Both quad mixes aren't really showstoppers (they're like the Al Green and WAR quads, mostly double stereo with some elements pinned exclusively to the front or back) but certainly worthy of reissue if the tapes exist, especially given the scarcity of good-sounding tape-sourced reissues in the digital age.

Curtis Mayfield's Curtom catalog was bought by WEA in 1996 so all reissues are through Rhino and therefore this is a question for @ForagingRhino .

Whether the quad masters still exist is another question altogether - when Mayfield still owned his own tapes he stored them in his basement, and many of them were apparently destroyed in a fire sometime after the 1990 stage mishap that resulted in his paralysis, according to a quote from his daughter in his biography:

"Altheida bore much of the brunt of caring for my father. Home healthcare workers came to ease her burden, but she still worked herself to the bone. One night, exhausted, she put a candle near the wall and forgot it. The wallpaper ignited. Soon, flames engulfed the second floor of the house. They had to evacuate fast, wheeling Dad beneath billows of black smoke and deadly fire. He watched his home burn, knowing if no one had been there to save him, he would’ve burned with it.

Dad kept his old master tapes in the basement, and when the fire-hoses extinguished the blaze, they also doused some of the most famous recordings in soul music history. I went back and salvaged everything I could. Some tapes survived, and I began the process of digitally remastering them, culminating in more than fifteen reissues from the Curtom catalog on compact disc. Many tapes, however, we lost forever.
"

There are still a few of Mayfield's lesser-known '70s/early '80s albums that have never had a digital release from a tape source. Charly Records in the UK seemed to have some kind of grey-market rights to the catalog but no access to master tapes - their releases were either digital clones of US and Japanese releases, or needledrops of crappy-sounding LPs.

The phenomenal-sounding 2019 box set Keep On Keeping On: Studio Albums 1970-1974 is the first time that Future Shock (the better of the two Curtom quads mix-wise) has ever had a digital reissue from a master tape, so maybe there's hope that the quad mix exists as well. Both quad mixes aren't really showstoppers (they're like the Al Green and WAR quads, mostly double stereo with some elements pinned exclusively to the front or back) but certainly worthy of reissue if the tapes exist, especially given the scarcity of good-sounding tape-sourced reissues in the digital age.

"Whether the quad masters still exist is another question altogether"

Yes the problem of tracking down any other Quadraphonic masters
Rhino/WEA yes I assume they may say no, sadly.

Back